RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Powder Drop? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/490817-powder-drop.html)

smthlndr 01-18-2003 05:04 PM

Powder Drop?

:rolleyes: I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE HAD TRIED PUTTING BABY POWDER IN A TRAP DOOR UNDER THE CG OF THE PLANE OPERATED BY A SERVO? I TRIED IT AND IT IS PRETTY COOL. POWDER DOESN'T WIEGH VERY MUCH AND IT IS REAL DENSE. I WOULD DO A FLY BY LOW AND OPEN THE DOOR AND IT WOULD LOOK LIKE A FIRE PLANE. NEAT.

JUST WONDERING IF I'M THE ONLY CRAZY ONE TO DO THIS OR NOT.

HAPPY LANDOINGS

SMOOTH LANDER :cool:

ho2zoo 01-20-2003 07:11 AM

Sounds cool!

Never heard of that being done, but it sounds like a cool idea! I have a bomb drop on my Ugly Stik. It's kinda fun, but been done before.

Try out the powder drop and let us all know how it works!

Oh, and by the way, we're all crazy here! :spinnyeye

r1morris 01-20-2003 04:12 PM

Powder Drop?

Put baby powder in tissue bombs they splatter kinda neat. Have seen a few guys use corn starch and flour in crop duster type aircraft. I like the baby powder idea and trap door . cheaper then a candy drop on the kids and makes em smell better too.
Have fun

ads8525 03-11-2003 05:43 PM

drop box

I am trying to put together a drop box for my plane similar to the one that hobby-lobby..i was wandering if any of you could give me some suggestions and maybe some pics on how you put yours together...thanks

Kaos Rulz 03-11-2003 06:31 PM

Smooth Lander

Saw a good flier three years ago using baby powder as you described. His setup was with a sliding door, rather than a swinging bomb-bay door arrangement. This allowed him to open/close the door proportionally to regulate the amount of powder dropped. :cool: :cool:
I said he was good, cause he'd center-line the runway at 10' or less spraying the powder, cut the powder off, perform a stall turn and repeat until he was out of powder. Very impressive :spinnyeye

Whirley Bird 03-13-2003 06:56 AM

Re: Powder Drop?

Originally posted by smthlndr
:
We used to do that with para chutes on the round canopies.
But we used white flower and long pieces of toilet paper between the folds.
When we pulled the rip cord, from the ground it looked like the canopy blew up.
I don't know how big your bomb drops are but try wrapping flower in toilet paper.As they drop down they leave a white trail that looks neat :cool:

Bob Parker 03-13-2003 10:38 AM

Bomb Drop

We have a contest where you drop an egg with about 18 ins. of crate paper taped to it. Your team mate is on the field with a fish net trying to catch it, a lot of fun. I always wanted to drop a bunch of painballs and watch them splatter,but never got around to it.

JimCasey 03-13-2003 06:50 PM

Powder Drop?

With the current sensitive political situation, you might find yourself looking at the muzzle of an M-16 after dropping a mysterious white powder....

CafeenMan 03-13-2003 07:23 PM

Powder Drop?

JimCasey is right. I was kicked off an Army base for flying a plane that weighed 2 lbs and was totally covered in transparent covering. They could SEE everything in it and they still didn't like it.

I've heard of people blowing out eggs and filling them with powder. Then they make a bomb as previously described - toilet paper roll with fins.

I don't go through that much TP though. I'd only be able to drop 1.5 bombs/month. :)

Rudeboy 03-14-2003 01:30 AM

Re: Bomb Drop

Originally posted by Bob Parker
We have a contest where you drop an egg with about 18 ins. of crate paper taped to it. Your team mate is on the field with a fish net trying to catch it, a lot of fun. I always wanted to drop a bunch of painballs and watch them splatter,but never got around to it.
The egg thing really sounds like it's a lot of fun. You could make a competition out of it. How about ostrich eggs... :D

But the paintball thing... have you ever been hit by a paintball? Those things won't crack from just falling from the sky. At least not the ones we use over here.

daver29 03-14-2003 03:17 PM

Powder Drop?

Has anyone ever tried making a powder bomb 'to shape'??

I'm not sure how exactly to describe what I'm thinking, but we used to make a really bad clay in school from flour, salt and water...

What if you used some cornstarch, some powder or flower, some salt and made it a fairly weak past that could be packed into some kind of mold... say the bottom of an egg carton, or maybe if you wanted smaller, half of one of those plastic easter eggs... (could get fancy and make a 'bomb' shaped mold out of something...) then let it dry...

bet if you played with the mixture enough, you could end up with a solid(ish) bomb that would poweder when it hit the groung...

you could even set some thin cardboard taiil fins in it and make it look like a 500lbs gbu... (blue stripe included)

CaMike 03-14-2003 04:06 PM

Powder Drop?

I agree with Jim Casey...while the idea of the powder bombs and powder drops (similar to a fire drop) sounds cool, and to people within the hobby is most likely seen as totally benign, to those outside of the hobby it could appear to be something that it is not. We certantly don't want to put our hobby on the hot seat by doing things that people in our current paranoid of attack state of national being, could use against us and that could open the possibility up to the same type of problems being faced by the model rocket industry and hobby. All it takes is one overzelous news reporter and a congressman that wants to get his/her name in the paper to really deal our hobby a devistating blow. While it would be great to be able to say that there is no way it would ever happen, I think that would be naive and a mistake to assume such things in today's United States. These are just my thoughts and opinions so please take them as such. Personally, it eats me up inside to think that we even need to have this conversation and I would be the first to volunteer to try to help figure out logistics and such for completeing the bombs and powder drops but I just thing the timing of such activities is not right. I'll step off of my soapbox and let eveyone make their own decisions about what they think is right or wrong. Have a GREAT day and keep 'em flyin!!

Mike

DeadSticker 03-14-2003 11:15 PM

Powder Drop?

Very well said CAMike!!! I agree with you 100%....:thumbup:

taildragger101 03-16-2003 07:38 AM

Powder Drop?

Try this one, We take a 1/8" dowel and rubberband it to the fuse just behind the wing so about 3 or 4 inches is sticking up . We made a donut out of ply. Make a target on the runway, make a flyby, give it a slight humpty, donut will come off top of dowel. Lots of fun. Harder to hit the target than it sounds. AL