RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   What engine is this? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4909391-what-engine.html)

RickShaw739 10-24-2006 03:24 PM

What engine is this?

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me what engine this maybe?
I got it at a yard sale, plane and all for $25.00
I'm not up my 4-strokes, and I've yet to test run it. I want to get a spinner for it first rather than stick start it.
It has a 13" prop on it, none of my spinners well fit it, so I need a bigger size.
The plane I know nothing about either, (purple one on the desk in pic) it's called a "Four Star 60!" ...It's in pretty good shape, needs a few repairs to the skin around the cowling and a couple of holes in the wing need to be fixed. The price was right so I got it. Now I need to see if it runs and if so I'll fix the plane and install new servos.
Any info on either would be great.

Thanks
Rick Shaw

Charlie P. 10-24-2006 03:29 PM

RE: What engine is this?

It's a Saito. Around a .80 or .91 maybe? Here's a site with some measurements to help.

http://saito-engines.info/

RickShaw739 10-24-2006 03:39 PM

Thanks for the web-site!
It'll help out a lot.

ChuckW 10-24-2006 04:20 PM

You can read all about the plane at www.sigmfg.com It's a nice flying airplane. If that Saito runs and you only paid $25, you did very good.

NCIS 10-24-2006 05:49 PM

I have never seen any RC stuff at yard sales. You are one lucky number.

Gibbs

RickShaw739 10-24-2006 06:04 PM

Yeah I've not before either, I could see it from the road as I drove by, so I turned around. Thats all there was in R/C just that plane and engine. I could see the engine had some rust on the bolts and the holes in the wing but there was 5 servos in it also. I've yet to find out if they work or not either. Hope to have it all checked out in the next week or so I'll let ya'll know how it go's.
I figured if the engine didn't work, the plane it's self was worth the twenty-five bucks.

khodges 10-24-2006 08:18 PM

Given the size of the prop on it, my guess is a .50 (doubtful), .65 (more likely), or a .80(maybe). It is definitely an older design, from the curved intake tube and the type of throttle arm. All your pics are either straight-on, or from the left. If you look on the right side of the case below the cylinder, just above the mounting lug, the size should be cast into the metal, just like where it says "Saito" on the left side. It would say FA50, FA65, etc. I can't tell, but does the carb have a slide-type choke on it? Hang on to the cannister muffler and the elbow, the mufflers aren't made like that any more, and the elbow is only available with the flex-pipe, which together is around $50. I believe the exhaust diameter is 12 mm for the .65 and .80, and 10mm for the .50. Post these pics on "Club Saito" in the glow engines forum; I'll bet Wm. Robison can tell you for sure.

RickShaw739 10-24-2006 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes (da) it is a FA80
Thanks for the info on the cannister muffler and the elbow.
Heres a couple other pics of it.
Guess I should clean the engine, but not knowing a whole lot about 4-strokes I'm half afraid I'll mess it up worse than it may already be.
With what I've learned about the plane and engine, I can't wait to fly it !
Hope it works!

Don M. 10-25-2006 06:00 AM

By the look of the rust on the outside of the engine I would pull the back plate and check the bearings. They may need replacement. If you run it with rusty bearings you could ruin your $25.00 [X(] engine. Good luck.

RickShaw739 10-25-2006 07:17 AM

Yeah I've been reading about that very subject. Guess I get to learn how to take apart and clean a 4-stroke.
Wish me luck, I've been reading the post's on engine cleaning. Maybe it'll go easier than what I anticipate....I hope!
Any advise on this from any of you that know what your doing?
Thanks

Tall Paul 10-25-2006 11:28 AM

The 13" prop is too small for an .80. Something like a 14x5 or 15x4 would be better.
The older Saito .80s have the reputation of throwing props due to too much compression.
Don't run it fast.

khodges 10-25-2006 03:12 PM

I have an .80, probably the best running Saito I have (out of 8 of them ). It's basically the same engine as the .65; the .65 has a brass cylinder liner, it was left out to increase the bore diameter (making the .80 an AAC). I run a 14-6 prop, and a 15-6 should also work okay. I like the older, "long stroke" Saitos, they even sound better. I haven't had any problems with mine kicking props; I use 15% all-syn Cool Power.