RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   EVER USED TOWERCOAT??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4921967-ever-used-towercoat.html)

2rolls 10-27-2006 02:49 PM

EVER USED TOWERCOAT???

Anybody wanna weigh in on the good-bad-ugly of Tower coat?
I'm a long-time Ultra coat user, but the price of Tower coat is hard to overlook.

RCKen 10-27-2006 02:57 PM

RE: EVER USED TOWERCOAT???

I tried Towerkote once. I wouldn't use it again if it was given to me free. In fact, I threw out the unused portion I had left. Never again. It just doesn't shrink well, or stick well at all. Take my advice, spend the few extra bucks and buy the Monokote.

Ken

2rolls 10-27-2006 03:58 PM

I'll consider that the "Bad, and Ugly"..Thanx..croz

c550 10-27-2006 04:10 PM

ditto to what rcken says

2rolls 10-27-2006 05:12 PM

Guess you get what ya pay for.

JCOKEEFE 10-27-2006 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I tried Towerkote once. I wouldn't use it again if it was given to me free. In fact, I threw out the unused portion I had left. Never again. It just doesn't shrink well, or stick well at all. Take my advice, spend the few extra bucks and buy the Monokote.

Ken
[8D]Ultracote is also an excellent option.
Not to start a prolonged discussion, but I used to
be a Monokote user, but have been converted
to Ultacote.

alfredbmor 10-27-2006 08:14 PM

I only have tried Monokote and Towercote, have not tried Ultracote so I can not say wich is better between Towercote and Ultracote but what for sure I can say, is that in a range from 1 to 10, Towercote gets 1 and Monokote gets 10.

Happy building!

2rolls 10-27-2006 08:15 PM

Ultracoat has been my staple for years.
I recently examined a friend's plane covered with Towercoat.
He is, by no means a master craftsman, and the job was superb.
I'm just not sure how it will stand up un the hot sun next Summer.

Dr1Driver 10-27-2006 08:45 PM

The only thing I would cover with Towercote is a Shrike. That way, the plane and the covering will be equal.

Towercote is only fuel-resistant, very thin, and you can melt a hole in it in a heartbeat. Yes, it does stick well - to itself (front or back), the covering iron, your workbench and anything it touches after the backing is removed. The color layer bleeds real nice, too.

Dr.1

2rolls 10-30-2006 10:17 AM

I borrowed a strip of Towercoat, and covered a a test aileron yesterday.
With the iron set to 225 F. (per info sheet), the film went on with little problem, and the appearance was satisfactory.
However, I did manage to tear the covering easily, when stretching it around the corners.
Also, once applied, the covering did'nt adhere to the wood as well as I demand.
I'm afraid that a couple hours in the sun would make the covering loosen and bubble.
My conclusion is that Towercoat is not suitable for my current, big gasser project.
Too bad. Love that price.
I would use it on a cheap plane, such as the Uproar, or a trainer...croz