RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Anyone have an actualy preflight checklist? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/505752-anyone-have-actualy-preflight-checklist.html)

coomarlin 01-24-2003 12:47 PM

Anyone have an actualy preflight checklist?

I know most everyone has certain things they always check before flying and I'm sure it's almost exclusively done in your head. But I will admit from my own experience that there are several times I've brought a plane back on the ground to find something was wrong that I should've caught prior to sending it up. At the time I beleive I've thought of everything, but when your doing it mentally it's nearly impossible.

Has anyone made a preflight list that they've laminated or printed and take to the field. I've been thinking about all of the money I've been spending on RC and it almost makes me queezy to thing I may overlook something and end up destroying a plane. I've been thinking about compiling a list of things that I should check before each flight. Maybe do 2 sections, one for things that must be done before going to the field (Like charging batteries) and one of things that must be done before each flight (Checking for busted hinges, etc).

If you have a good thorough preflight list please feel free to list it here. It would help me out and I'm sure a lot of other people as well. I'm sure that people will list things that I haven't thought of.

Tattoo 01-24-2003 01:25 PM

You're right, mine is in my head. One of my most important preflights is the night before. When ever I get a plane down and put it on charge for the next day of flying...is when I go over it with a fine tooth comb, and check and inspect everything from all accessable engine bolts to horn screws...etc...etc...nothing goes unchecked. Only when I am confident the plane is airworthy, do I plug in the charger. This way, when I get to the field, all that's left is control surface movement check and range check. I've also made it a habit to move every control surface prior to every flight (as well as assure proper direction!)...only takes seconds. I wish I had a nickle for every time i've seen a plane wiped out by forgetting to plug the ailerons in, or the wrong model chosen on the radio.

Jim_McIntyre 01-24-2003 02:11 PM

From flying helis, I've gotten into the habit of tactilely checking all linkages;
A quick once over giving a quick tug on everything takes almost no time and has saved me on several occasions by finding popped links, cracked clevis, missing screws, cracked hinges etc.
Running your fingers over the prop while flexing it can reveal cracks that you would otherwise miss with a visual inspection.

At the field, I give a quick "once over", feeling all linkages, checking for play on the engine, visually inspecting for stress cracks etc.. I then check the battery voltage and proceed to regular startup.

Before starting the engine I make sure I have the right model selected and all controls move in the correct direction including throttle.

The telltale on the the end of my antenna tells me both wind direction and that my antenna is up....

HTH!

TopShelf 01-24-2003 05:29 PM

I have a pre-flight check list taped to the side of my flight box with clear tape. I don't actually check it off with a pen but use it to make sure I don't forget to check anything.

MHawker 01-24-2003 08:10 PM

Our club is going to make a pre-flight checklist to post at the field. Every club member is going to be required to have one. There was talk about requiring a signed checked off list before each flight, but that was voted down as "too much". But I will post the list when I get a copy.

Mike- Maybe we can compile a Master Pre-flight Checklist so that RCU members can print and use at their fields!

Goinstraightup 01-24-2003 08:24 PM

My favorite right before flying is "CAT"

C Controls moving in the right direction?
A Antennae up?
T Trim levers centered?

Then I take off.

coomarlin 01-24-2003 10:30 PM

Originally posted by MHawker
Maybe we can compile a Master Pre-flight Checklist so that RCU members can print and use at their fields!
That would be a good idea if you ask me.

Some of the things I need ot be more concious of is:
Performing a good range check.
Performing a control surface check
Making sure my radio is set to the correct model.
Checking the radio switch orientation.
Checking servo-clevis-ball-link connections.
Checking for hinge problems.
Checking for loose nuts and bolts.
Checking RX and TX voltage.
Checking hoses
Checking to make sure I own the channel :( Yikes
Checking for landing gear problems
Checking to make sure my plane is not facing anyone or anything while starting.
Checking to see what other modelers are doing before I start to taxi.

Cleared4Crash 01-24-2003 11:43 PM

1. Don't forget plane this time
2. Grab transmitter instead of portable radio
3. Make sure flight box has a fresh sandwich
4. Leave note on fridge explaining how I needed to go to the hardware store to pick up things for the garden.

rock & roll

Den B 01-25-2003 12:55 AM

Check

We have a club check preflight and a Maiden preflight and more here
WWW.Bluemaxrc.com

Den

GPutt33 01-25-2003 02:15 AM

The Blue Max Flying Club Checklists are

GREAT :D

I am new, one ARF (LT-40) I have soloed on and first kit built (4*60) which is almost ready to fly :D

I used these check lists and they really helped me think things through.....

Hat's off to the Blue Max folks :thumbup:

I also use a search engine called dogpile - www.dogpile.com

I did a search on 'rc plane check list' and it came up with a few others.

Den B 01-25-2003 02:51 AM

Check Please!

Dennis

leroifort 01-28-2003 03:18 PM

I have a preflight check since I crashed a plane because my TX was on the memory of a other plane

springer-RCU 01-31-2003 06:42 PM

I use the mnemonic FFAWCETTS. What we call "taps", over here.

F....frequency..self-explanatory
F....fuel..self-explanatory
A...aerial...extended and secure in the tranny
W...wind..direction..consider the procedure for a fanstop
C...controls full and free...appropriate sense
E...engine..develops full power and idles well
T...transmitter ON, battery power sufficient
T...trims as appropriate for the model
S...safety..other aircraft, people under flightpath etc

Sounds like a lot, but takes only a minute once you are used to it. And each item is included as a result of experience.

Springer

JimCasey 02-01-2003 01:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the checklist my buddy Ralph passes out. He laminates it and puts a nice brass eyelet in it so he can tie it to his flightbox.

(edit note) Apparently I am having scanner problems so I will translate:
CHECKLIST:
Fuselage
Hatches
Wing, Bolts
Transmitters
Field Box, Fuel
Glow Starter
AMA Card/Club Card
Rags, Cleaner
Rug(Kneepad)
Cap
Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Drink
Cash

Once this is all loaded, you're ready to go to the field.