RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   welding cast alum case (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/510810-welding-cast-alum-case.html)

iluvrc-RCU 01-26-2003 01:40 PM

welding cast alum case

I have (2) G62 cases and both are cracked. I have tried to weld them with a special rod but it would not take. I'm looking for info on what to do. Thanks

Jim Finn 01-26-2003 02:20 PM

welding cast alum case

try a tig welder

Tippie 01-26-2003 04:46 PM

welding cast alum case

Don't know if it works as I have never tried it before but they advertise a product called "JB Weld" for something like that. I think it is more of an epoxy but you might check it out. Comes in a tube. If you believe their advertising it will fix just about anything, it's a miracle. I've seen it in 'Home Depot' stores and you can probably find it in just about any hardware store. There may be someone out there that has used the product and testify if it works.

BlackBart 01-27-2003 10:26 AM

welding cast alum case

Dear Ilurc,

Welding success depends on if the casing is cast (cheapest and
probably what you have), forged, (real good), or billet stock.
(Maybe, maybe-not). Billet is excellent, Dub Jett and some other
guy just made a 40 pylon engine from billet aluminum. It's a work
of art. Now back to your question. JB weld is terrific. It can be
machined, drilled, tapped, or just smeared on. The stuff I have
is steel, i've had it for many years. I don't know if they make an aluminum version. Getting back to welding for a moment, cast
can be welded by a GOOD welder with lots of TIG experience. The other two are a snap. But don't count on any longevity of the
repair. Think about selling it. Now, if you use JB, follow the
instructions closely. One EXTREMELY IMPORTANT STEP IS THAT
YOU GRIND (dremel cutting wheels) THE CRACK COMPLETELY THRU. DON'T "VEE" IT, OR "NOTCH" IT. If it's in the crank-case
you will never get all the fuel/oil residue cleaned out other wise.

BlackBart 01-27-2003 10:38 AM

welding cast alum case

ilvrc
something happend and I never got to finish my last post.
anyway, make sure the area around the cracks are super clean.
I have no idea what the inside looks like, if you have tolerance
problems, put a piece of clear packing tape inside to back stop the JB. Good luck with this, let me know how it turns out. If you
wan't, you could send one of the motors to me and i'll see what
I can do.
Take care-
Steve
(aka BlackBart)

BigBird1 01-27-2003 12:40 PM

welding cast alum case

You didn't say where they are cracked....
High stress area or some where else out of the way...
That will make the difference between JB and getting it welded...
A good welder with a TIG machiene and the HF adjusted right should not have a problem with welding it...

BB1

iluvrc-RCU 01-28-2003 11:41 AM

welding cast alum case

Both cracks are on the back case where it would mount to the firewall. And the cracks run around where the bearing seats. There is plenty of room to weld from the back side. If welded from the inside it would be a nightmare of grinding to get the bearing to seat again. Thanks for the help and keep them coming.