RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   My second glow plane? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/519856-my-second-glow-plane.html)

kennydee 01-30-2003 02:06 AM

My second glow plane?

Hey, I'm still flying, haven't killed anyone yet, although I did scare the heck out of my flying buddy last week-end. I'm about ready for my post-trainer airplane. I would like to buy a plane that's a good slow flyer. I'm interested in the Thunder Tiger Slow Tiger, the Mustang look a-like. Is that a good choice, any suggestions?

ho2zoo 02-02-2003 06:42 AM

2nd airplane

Don't know about the Thunder Tiger plane, but I would recommend the Goldberg Tiger II, or the Sig 4-star 40. There are also .60 size versions of both those planes. Both build easy, fly great, and land slow.

Good Luck!

Geistware 02-05-2003 08:48 PM

My second glow plane?

If you want a good slow flier, then get either the GP Slowpoke or the SIG Hog. Both are great slow fliers!

vegas mossie 02-05-2003 09:44 PM

My second glow plane?

great planes easy sport, hop bipe, tiger 60, there are lots of good second planes. Good luck, Loren

glowplug 02-06-2003 04:06 AM

My second glow plane?

kennydee, the Lazy Tiger P-51 is a great flying plane........but it's more of a "2nd second plane" (if that makes any sense)......It does flies extremely slow, but can easily get out of control in the hands of a newbie. I got one about a year after I started flying....and it took me about 10 flights to really start getting comfortable with it. It's a little difficult to take off and land on a paved runway....it ground loops like crazy. I unfortunately lost mine to a mid-air.

Mike

Rocketman612 02-06-2003 09:43 AM

My second glow plane?

Consider a "Stick" come in several sizes and makers. If you want a low wing with tail gear then go with the 4 Star. Pete

Geistware 02-06-2003 12:08 PM

My second glow plane?

He wanted a good slow flyer. I guess it depends what each of us call slow! :D

Rocketman612 02-06-2003 12:34 PM

My second glow plane?

Roger That :D

kennydee 02-07-2003 01:57 AM

My second glow plane?

Thanks for the input. Funny, when I asked experienced RC pilots I kept getting suggestions for planes that landed slow. I am actually looking for a plane that will fly and manuver at slow speeds as well. I considered the Slow Poke and a couple of others but ended up buying the Lazy Tiger. Glowplug, I bought this plane before I read your note, I'll use my co-pilot to ease into this plane. I enjoy flying low and slow and others have told me the Lazy Tiger would do that well. Any other info on setting up the Lazy Tiger would be appreciated. Thanks Again

glowplug 02-07-2003 02:35 PM

My second glow plane?

kennydee...keep the aileron and elevator throws small (especially the ailerons) if your radio has expo, set some of that into it too......I think with reduced throws and some experienced help, you'll be fine.

Mike

Goinstraightup 02-07-2003 06:59 PM

My second glow plane?

Consider a "Stick" come in several sizes and makers.
I second the vote for the sticks. They're called ugly sticks, super sticks, ultrasticks, and Big Sticks. All are a variant of the original Ugly Stick. These are durable, great flying planes. They have a thick airfoil, which helps them land really slow. I often am told by the newbies that my Stick is landing slower than their trainers.

glowplug 02-07-2003 07:31 PM

My second glow plane?

kennydee, I can't think of anything else specific in the setup of the Lazy Tiger....it's very well built and only takes about 6 hours to complete.....the instructions are very good......if you've never used CA hinges before, take your time and follow the instructions, they explain it very well.......I painted the lines on the inside of my canopy to make it look nicer....I can't really think of anything else......oh, careful with the tail feathers.....they glue on top of the rear of the fuselage....make sure they are square (mount the wing and check it before epoxying) I had to sand down one side of the fuselage where the horizontal stab mounts to get it right.

Mike