RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   pros &cons of using 4. 8 or 6 volt for rx (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5934437-pros-cons-using-4-8-6-volt-rx.html)

toobadtwo 06-02-2007 11:46 AM

pros &cons of using 4. 8 or 6 volt for rx

is there any pros or cons of using the two voltages for the receiver in the plane. also what are the low and high voltages for the receiver battery suppose to be.(the 4.8 and the 6 volt ) thanks.

LANNYBOB 06-02-2007 11:54 AM

RE: pros &cons of using 4. 8 or 6 volt for rx

no cons for using 6.0 volts. all good. your receiver will handle it. 6 volts means heavier battery and minimal charging all week. yes all week. i have a 6.0 volt jr 2700mah that i fly in my funtana 100x it only needs charged once a week and thats if i fly twelve hours. of course i have a voltwatch on it that tells me when its dead. not low just dead. dont take my advise though, im just one person that knows.

DMcQuinn 06-02-2007 04:05 PM

Use 6 volts. very little downside to this. A 6V pack fresh off the charger will normally read about 7.2 Volts for a few minutes. You can fly this pack down to about 5.5 volts under 300 mA load. a 4-cell pack will read about 5.8 volts off the charger. You can fly this down to about 4.6 or so under 300 mA load.

Flying freak 06-02-2007 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: LANNYBOB

no cons for using 6.0 volts. all good. your receiver will handle it. 6 volts means heavier battery and minimal charging all week. yes all week. i have a 6.0 volt jr 2700mah that i fly in my funtana 100x it only needs charged once a week and thats if i fly twelve hours. of course i have a voltwatch on it that tells me when its dead. not low just dead. dont take my advise though, im just one person that knows.
Watch yourself with the voltwatch it is a none loaded deice thus to get a decent reading play around with the sticks while loooking at the voltwatch this puts a load on it...

LANNYBOB 06-02-2007 06:16 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Flying freak

ORIGINAL: LANNYBOB

yes your right.

Watch yourself with the voltwatch it is a none loaded deice thus to get a decent reading play around with the sticks while loooking at the voltwatch this puts a load on it...
undefined

Newc 06-02-2007 08:25 PM

With 6v you get faster servo response and greater servo torque.

BankYank 06-03-2007 12:07 AM

I have never used a 6V RX battery either. From what little i do know it's my understanding that the quicker response and higher tork from the servo's is a good thing as they need instant response for 3D style flying.
For scale type flying in say a Piper Cub/Cessna/P-40 type planes you don't need that as you want smooth gentle flight as your not going to be yanking on the stick's at all.
I have also read but dont know from direct experience that a 6V RX battery will potentially require you to use bigger battery/servo leads because it is driving the servos harder and using more amp's then a 4.8V pack will,,,,And sense it's using more current the flight time is not any greater and could be worse then a 4.8V pack.
I do know from experience that 4.8V works just great in my planes and i get about 4 flight's on a 1500mah pack running 9 servo's None of them are 3D planes though.
Pat

BarracudaHockey 06-03-2007 06:35 AM

Pros: Faster response by the servos and more torque.
If the battery has a bad cell the pack still provides enough voltage to keep the reciever from shutting down. If a 4 cell pack looses a cell you are done for the day.

Cons: Your servos don't last as long
It draws about 10 percent more current (mah used per flight) than a identically sized 4.8 volt system.
Not all digital servos are rated for 6v so check your servo ratings.

Deadeye 06-03-2007 10:49 AM

The only con I can see other than weight is higher volts, equal higher amp draw. If you have a 2500 ma 4.8 volt pack side by side with a 6 volt of the same ma rating, the 6 volt will go dead faster. Why? I'm not quite sure, that's just what I have read over and over here of RCU.

BankYank 06-03-2007 02:08 PM

This question has had me wondering for along time.
Why in Warbirds would you want to use 6V. I believe that there is a definite advantage to using standard BB servos with higher torque on 4.8V. I have recently learned setup right you do not need much expo and you can use the full range of movement from the servo.
Sense i have went back and re set up my planes recently my flying LOOKS better in the air. It is SOOOOO much smoother..and easier to fly with none of that sudden turn or over controlling up and down jerking around looking stuff.
Pat

somegeek 06-03-2007 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: BankYank

This question has had me wondering for along time.
Why in Warbirds would you want to use 6V. I believe that there is a definite advantage to using standard BB servos with higher torque on 4.8V. I have recently learned setup right you do not need much expo and you can use the full range of movement from the servo.
Sense i have went back and re set up my planes recently my flying LOOKS better in the air. It is SOOOOO much smoother..and easier to fly with none of that sudden turn or over controlling up and down jerking around looking stuff.
Pat
Are you talking about 6V making the servos more powerful/faster or expo?

Regarding your plane moving around with jerky motion - that's controlled by those two sticks. Move'em slower and smoother. :D

Looking at this logically, I'd think a plane with 6V Rx power would fly smoother and with better control since your input is more quickly affecting the plane to make adjustments. A guy at the field today was talking about the difference and said when he went to a 6V pack, the plane felt like it was lighter in the air since it reacted quicker to his input.

somegeek

dbacque 06-03-2007 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

The only con I can see other than weight is higher volts, equal higher amp draw. If you have a 2500 ma 4.8 volt pack side by side with a 6 volt of the same ma rating, the 6 volt will go dead faster. Why? I'm not quite sure, that's just what I have read over and over here of RCU.
V=IR, Voltage = Current * Resistance. When you increase the voltage and keep the resistance the same, the current increases. But in practice I haven't seen any the difference because my 6V packs are all higher mA ratings.

For me the only down side is that my standard issue Futaba charger won't charge my 6V packs. I've heard others say it will but my 1600 mA 6V NiMh packs get no charge from the wall wart. No problem, I use my AccuCycle.

Dave

rccrazedman 06-03-2007 09:46 PM

yeah by the way what kind of chargers will charge the 6v batteries ? is there a different type of charger needed ? or could I just simply take my hobbico multicharger and charge the battery at the proper 10c rate for the Mah rating of the battery ?

exeter_acres 06-04-2007 06:51 AM

Why? I'm not quite sure, that's just what I have read over and over here of RCU.

Then it MUST be true:D;):D

The reason is called Ohms law

Red B. 06-04-2007 07:19 AM

Except for the added weight I can see no downside to using 6V batteries instead of 4.8V.
I have been using 5 cell NiCd and NimH batteries for my JR equipment without any problems whatsoever.
I do not use a regulator simply because it is not needed. Most modern equipment will handle 5 cell batteries, but please check with the manufacturer/distributor of your equipment in advance.

In Europe where I live, receivers and servos that can handle 2 cell LiPo:s directly without any regulator are becoming inreasingly popular. This is probably the way for the future.

rccrazedman wrote:

yeah by the way what kind of chargers will charge the 6v batteries ? is there a different type of charger needed ? or could I just simply take my hobbico multicharger and charge the battery at the proper 10c rate for the Mah rating of the battery ?
Yes you can! No special charger is needed. If my information is correct the Multicharger will handle up to 10 cells.

/Red B.

BarracudaHockey 06-04-2007 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

Why? I'm not quite sure, that's just what I have read over and over here of RCU.
Then it MUST be true:D;):D

The reason is called Ohms law
<insert chuckle here>

Its true and the reason is Ohms law but thats only part of the real world equation. Ohms load assumes a constant load like a resistor, a servo pulls a variable load depending on what its being asked to do.

RCReport did a wonderful article on the whole issue running a test using the servo test function on a 9c which runs all the servos and (here's the key) an inline amp meter that showed the total amps passing through it over the course of a timed test. Gordon found on average a 7 percent decrease in total life over 2 packs of identical capacity with the 6 volt 5 cell pack over the 4.8v 4 cell. But like Dave said, most people would never notice because if they are going to buy 6v packs they normally get high capacity packs.

expo 06-09-2007 08:04 AM

When I need nose weight and lasting power I link 4 sub c batteries together and get both in one pkg. (sometimes I'll use Viagara )

Downside to 6 volters is remembering to change the Accucycle switch every time.