RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Help ... quick question !!!! how to remove broken screw (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5972085-help-quick-question-how-remove-broken-screw.html)

twolter 06-11-2007 07:10 AM

Help ... quick question !!!! how to remove broken screw

Hi Guys,

How do you remove a broken screw ????

I was attaching the landing gear on my p-51 when the head of the screw snapped off leaving the body of the screw in the pre-drilled hole.

Does anyone have any ideason how to remove it ?

Cheers

Troy

krayzc-RCU 06-11-2007 07:16 AM

RE: Help ... quick question !!!! how to remove broken screw

an extractor

vicman 06-11-2007 07:26 AM

Is it into wood? One of the first things I would try is using a ***** punch to drive what is left of the screw loose. If the area you are working on is too fragile a left handed drill bit will also do the trick quite well.;)

MinnFlyer 06-11-2007 08:28 AM

Sounds to me like we're talking about a vrey small screw, like a #4 or #6 and if you broke the head off, It's also safe to assume that it is pretty darn tight.

An extractor really isn't an option - it's too small

Punching it out could very easily do damage.

Just drill new holes next to its original position and install the plate with new screws - If you want to, you can grind off the old screw if it's protruding

carrellh 06-11-2007 09:09 AM

If there's any metal protruding above the wood it "might" be possible to grab it with tiny wire cutters and turn it out. Minn's suggestion is probably what you'll have to do though.

Villa 06-11-2007 09:22 AM

With a Dremel tool and a thin cutoff wheel grind a slot into the screw and use a flat screw driver to remove it.

MILDBILL-RCU 06-11-2007 04:47 PM

If its a nylon screw, then heat the tip of a pocket screw driver & insert it into the remaining part of the screw in the plane. remove the screw driver after forming the nice slot, & with a cool'd off screw driver, remove the screw out of the plane.

twolter 06-11-2007 10:05 PM

Hi All ...

Thanks for the tips. I'll operate tonight and see how it goes.

It is into wood and it's a small metal screw. Must have been a dud screw because it was not screwed in very tight.

This is my very first build ... I hope the rest of the plane etc go together without too much hastle !!!

Once again, thanks for your advice. All the best.

Troy

camdyson 06-12-2007 02:03 AM

Or, get a mouse to chew it out - I'm sure some Chinese ARF's have screws made out of cheese!....[8D];)