RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Lanier Dart turns into Razzle (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/735948-lanier-dart-turns-into-razzle.html)

Steve Guinn 05-01-2003 01:51 AM

Lanier Dart turns into Razzle

Anyone familiar with the inexpensive Dart?
What do you think, is it worth fooling with?

Mike Bogh 05-01-2003 02:06 PM

Had it, didn't even finish it, sold it.
Some say they flew well (for a 1970's design), but only for a season before they cracked up and down the fuse.
The 59.00 price is what attracted them to me, too.

Typical mistake of mine, using my wallet to determine a purchase instead using my head.

Good luck,

Steve Guinn 05-01-2003 11:52 PM

Thanks Mike,
I was considering a buffer plane. Been flying a trainer and stick since last summer and have a Star-duster and 27% Extra XS waiting in the wings. Thought maybe I could appease the Gods by crashing something a little cheaper.

I'll keep looking.

Steve

Meschmidt 05-02-2003 01:54 AM

Lanier Dart

They fly like a pattern plane. Does no hard aerobatics, very fragile and doesn't last long. Cannot be repaired if you crash. Nuff said? Paul :(

Steve Guinn 05-02-2003 12:23 PM

Nuff said!

Deadeye 05-02-2003 12:43 PM

I'll interject here: I just got two from Sheldon's hobbies for $45 each. The Dart has a BEAUTIFUL wing, and the 45 bucks was worth the wing alone. Some sheeting, and it could be used on anything it will fit on.

I agree that they aren't built to last, but for 45 bucks, its good for a few dozen flights.

Mike Bogh 05-02-2003 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Deadeye

I agree that they aren't built to last, but for 45 bucks, its good for a few dozen flights.

Trouble with that example is the time it takes to get it in the air...
This is a 15-20 hour assembly process, and the end result is not very satisfying. Steve says he is flying a Stick, so he is already flying a better plane than the Dart.
For me, the best value today is the Horizon hobby, Seagulls Models Razzle...60-90 size, 3D capable funfly.
At $154.00 retail nobody has a better value, in my not so humble opinion...With tame throws it's docile and it lands so slow you could catch it. :D
There is a big thread in the 3d forum all about it.
Oh and fast assembly time...'bout 8 hours max, including the reinforcment of the stab.
G'luck,
Mike

Steve Guinn 05-02-2003 10:22 PM

:mad: Daggone you Mike Bogh....liked the Razzle so much that I ran down to the LHS and ordered it. It will be in Thursday.
Now I have to buy another engine.
So much for saving money.
I'm a happy boy....hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba! :D Thanks

Steve Guinn 05-04-2003 12:09 AM

Do you think a Saito .91 will haul that thing around, or should I forget about the baby's shoes and get the 100?

Mike Bogh 05-04-2003 12:51 AM

Personally, I would to have a 100...but not for this plane...I can do vertical drag races with the 91 Surpass...really.

If this is your first 91-100 class 4 stroke, and you need it to be brand spankin' new, go for the 100, I would in a heart beat....now if your somewhat budget concious....there are plenty of smokin' hot deals on the 91 Surpass or Saito 91....in the vicinity of $185.00....dam near a hundred bucks less than the 100...
The Razzle is so light my 91 flys it ballistic....have to fly it mostly at half throttle..mostly..
.Now, if you have your eye on the H-9 Mustang...or the WM Chipmunk...or the Ultra Stick 60 one day, everybody just raves about the Saito 100...There are 6 100's at my club all flying 'Munks...what a perfect match...like heaven. Significantly better than the 91? Well, not a hundred bucks better, but better all the same.

Vote your wallet, you'll never regret buying the 100, ever.
Or, swoop on a hot deal 91 and spent the extra hun on better servos..:D

If you ask around, you should be find a few of 91's in the 150.00 range...I did.
Found a very low time FS 90 pre Surpass for 90.00...not a powerhouse, but will fly the wings off and hover the Razzle all day, too.
I'm using standard bb servos on the elev's because they only have to drive a half an elev anyway....the 9201 is on the Rudder.

Now I did flip the throttle servo tray around to better accommodate the way I wanted to run the throttle.

Sorry for the ramble....gitty up!

Steve Guinn 05-05-2003 01:59 AM

Well Mike,
if you don't think the 100 will rattle the airframe apart, I will go ahead get a brand spankin new one.
Have been reading the Razzle threads and see where you thought about dropping to a .72.
Thanks for the advice,
Steve

Steve Guinn 05-16-2003 02:38 AM

Lanier Dart turns into a Razzle

Razzle finally arrived. I think I got the last one, as it shipped from CA. and Horizon is now out of stock.

Already ejected the stock pilot and put Mr. Plow (Homer) in there.
Thanks Mike, looks great

Very pleased with the plane, but am going to do some strength mods. Some of my landings are not pretty.

Think I'll go with a 605 on the rudder and standard on the others.

Steve

Steve Guinn 07-21-2003 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Mike,

thought I would post a pic of the Razz.
Thanks for the help.

Steve Guinn 07-21-2003 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Razz.

There is carbon fiber on the top and bottom of the stab, but it is not visible in the pic.

Mike Bogh 07-21-2003 06:27 PM

Jeese steve,
That looks just great. I have had company from out of State the last two weeks and I forgot just how much I like the looks of the Razzle, thanks.
Mines ready to finish now, just install the stab and I'm done.
(this is the third and last, BTW)
I too have ca'd carbon fiber top and bottom of the stab, and I had to recover mine in trans blue, looks good though, IMNSHO.
Please post a flight report after to try to tear the wings off! :D:D:D

Steve Guinn 07-22-2003 12:21 AM

It has been in the air 10 or 12 times. Still running the Saito a bit rich, and I only have 4 gallons (total) of experience, so I am pleased to just get it down in one piece.

Am impressed with it so far. Think I'll try the 45 up-line and sticks in the upper right corners the next time she flies.