RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   How can I get CA glue off of my car? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7375032-how-can-i-get-ca-glue-off-my-car.html)

GrrlsFly! 04-14-2008 10:35 PM

How can I get CA glue off of my car?

I put my foamie plane on my car's trunk to repair it while at the field, (using foam-safe CA), and about a quarter size drop of CA glue got on the car.

Anyone know how to get it off?

It's my pretty new little red Honda civic, and I can't believe I was doing repairs on it. :eek:

No better group to ask than you guys who know what CA is! [&:]

Deadeye 04-14-2008 10:48 PM

RE: How can I get CA glue off of my car?

Acetone disolves CA, but it might also disolve your paint! Make sure you test it in a area that won''t show. A few quick swipes should show you if it is going to dull or strip the paint. Might not hurt anything at all.

stang 04-14-2008 11:10 PM

I''m not a fan of acetone around paint. You could try heating the spot with a small soldering iron. (Very carefully) It should crystallize the CA and you might be able to chip it of with a fingernail. Good luck with this.

ChuckW 04-14-2008 11:22 PM

Acetone will soften it. There are also de-bonders that contain acetone sold along side the CA in the hobby shop. Test it on your cars paint in an inconspicuous area first. (i.e.: door jam, inside trunk, etc.) The cars paint will likely hold up but it''s worth testing just to be safe.

Dorsal 04-14-2008 11:30 PM

Acetone will DEFINITELY eat the paint off the car! Try some of the actual debonder in an inconspicuous place - it might not damage the paint.

Jester241 04-15-2008 08:36 AM

Applying drops of actual CA debonder onto hardened CA glue and letting it soak in for awhile works well for getting CA off of monokote. It usually takes more then 1 application though,and you have to keep wiping after it soaks each time,but it works fairly well. But be very careful doing it on your car. Like the other guys said....try it in a hiden area first like a door jam under some weather stripping or something. And make sure to let it soak into your test area AT LEAST as long as its gonna take to get it off your paint job. And its gonna take awhile,not just a couple minutes. I''d keep putting drops of debonder on a hiden spot for a few hours and let it sit another couple hours and then rub it pretty hard to see if it softens up your paint job,or even dulls or distorts the paint.

Let us know if it works too....Would be a good tip. Heck I might even be able to get all the CA off my pants!

Tired Old Man 04-15-2008 10:13 AM

Just about anything chemical that might help with removing the ca will damage the paint.

Jburry 04-15-2008 10:25 AM

If your car was previously waxed, the CA might pop off with careful application of a fingernail. Otherwise, you may need to apply something more aggressive, knowing that it may need to be buffed out at the local body shop when you''re done.

I hate it when that happens!

J

krossk 04-15-2008 10:46 AM

I''d be tempted to try to carefully sand it down to the point of just nearing the paint ( at least 1000 grit paper ) and then finishing with rubbing compound. It will take a while, but I''m betting that anything chemical that can remove the CA will also damage the paint. Alternatively, I''m sure any competent body and paint shop could handle the job - at a cost...

(And I can sympathize - I like my red Honda too!)

Kmot 04-15-2008 10:56 AM

Chewing gum remover is a product that when sprayed, freezes the gum into a brittle mass that can easily be knocked off. Perhaps it would work with a CA drop as well.

http://www.brightshine.com/sys2090ea...2090ea.0.7.htm

spiral_72 04-15-2008 12:11 PM

I think I''d give it time. When you car is baking under the June sun while you are at work, I''ll bet it''ll loosen.

bgfireman 04-15-2008 05:32 PM

You could just buy a new car. Good luck getting it off. I have done things like that before. Pine Tree sap is terrible when it gets on you car. Gas takes it off, but you have to apply a coat of wax back afterwards.
Alan

GrrlsFly! 04-16-2008 02:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I''ve got a lot of different suggestions here to think about. I may let it sit for awhile in the heat here, then try some rubbing compound.

Then if I have to, some of the other options suggested. I''ll let you know what does work, if anything.

WhiteRook 04-16-2008 06:21 PM

G FLY , i hate CA, it is the most irratating stuff i've ever seen , the fumes burn my eyes ,
, it glues your fingers together . i only use tite bond and or epoxy and like you state, it wont even come off your hands , let alone any thing else, i guess its one of those instant gratifacation
things. The JOY of having time to do something else , while my glue drys is too satisfying