RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Saito 100 questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7390749-saito-100-questions.html)

JamesDL 04-18-2008 07:13 PM

Saito 100 questions

Hi all-

I am building a Sig 4* 60, and I will probably have the winning bid on ebay for a brand new Saito 100. Since I am a beginner I am going to start with an O.S. Surpass 70 in it, then once I've gotten to know the plane, I will put the big Saito in. I talked to people in my club about these engines, and everyone gave very positive opinions of the OS Surpass, but extremely negative opinions of the Saito. They told me it vibrates a lot, idles too fast, and stalls often. Also that it is not a beginners engine?

From what I've read on the forums, if properly broken in and tuned correctly and it will run beautifully. Is this the case? Is there anything wrong with this engine? Where can I find detailed information about the best way to break in and tune the engine? I'm planning to set up an engine bench mount so that I can break in engines on the bench before mounting them on my planes.

Thanks,
James

Nathan King 04-18-2008 08:16 PM

RE: Saito 100 questions

I've had nothing but great experiences with both OS and Saito both are excellent engines. I would install the Saito if that's what you plan on using down the road anyway. The thought that four strokes or Saito engines in particular are difficult to tune are just that... myths, that for some reason continue to persist. I find Saitos to be no more difficult than OS to tune. In fact, I've never had my Saitos quit on me besides running them out of gas twice. Me loosing track of flight time is hardly the engine's fault. [)]

Oh, and my Saitos idle like a fine watch at 1900 RPM.

fredscz 04-18-2008 08:26 PM

You have been talking to the wrong people and in the future you need to take their advice with a grain of salt, both are worth about the same amount.
Read the factory directions on break-in and also go to this sight http://saito-engines.info/
OS and Saito engines are both powerfull and equally reliable when properly tuned.
There is enough posting on this sight about breaking in an engine that I doubt you could read it all in two nights-just do a search.
Fred

Jester241 04-18-2008 08:37 PM

I'm going to be flying my Saito 125 for the first time tomarrow,but so far on the test stand and such...its the sweetest engine I've got! We'll see how it works in flight. Other guys at my field have saitos and O.S. 4-strokes and they all seem like REALLY good motors. But the one HUGE difference I've noticed between the two are that the saito's sound WAAAAY cooler! The O.S. 4-strokes actually dont sound much different to me then thier 2-strokes. You can tell a saito from an O.S. a mile away.....and I really like the saitos sound.

....and I've always heard that Saito 100 is an extremely good engine. I'm sure you'll love it,and if you know anything about tuning,you'll find it a breeze. Just make sure you tune it with a tach both for high end and idle speeds.

.....and put it in right from the get-go,because it'll save you alot of headaches later.

Nathan King 04-18-2008 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Jester241

I'm going to be flying my Saito 125 for the first time tomarrow,but so far on the test stand and such...its the sweetest engine I've got! We'll see how it works in flight. Other guys at my field have saitos and O.S. 4-strokes and they all seem like REALLY good motors. But the one HUGE difference I've noticed between the two are that the saito's sound WAAAAY cooler! The O.S. 4-strokes actually dont sound much different to me then thier 2-strokes. You can tell a saito from an O.S. a mile away.....and I really like the saitos sound.

....and I've always heard that Saito 100 is an extremely good engine. I'm sure you'll love it,and if you know anything about tuning,you'll find it a breeze. Just make sure you tune it with a tach both for high end and idle speeds.

.....and put it in right from the get-go,because it'll save you alot of headaches later.

While I disagree that OS four strokes sound similar to their two stroke counterparts Saito engines do have a distinct sound (which I like). You'll enjoy your engine. Have fun!

JamesDL 04-18-2008 08:55 PM

Ok, maybe I will put the Saito in to begin with, I'm just a little worried about having a low enough idle speed to be able to land well.

I think I'm still happy about my decision to buy the Saito, but what I heard from my club really made me worry... maybe it will make it that much sweeter if I have a great engine AND I prove all the old-heads wrong... :)

James

Jester241 04-18-2008 09:17 PM

My 125 will reliably idle at around 2000 rpms. I depends on how lean I want to run it though....the leaner it is,the lower it will idle. I generally set it a tad higher though because I dont like to push it,and planes will slow up plenty enough without hitting that 2000rpms mark. I recommend using a test stand to play with it,and a Tachometer is a must.

Yeah,I'd say right now that my saito idles like a champ. Dont worry about it! And when I tested mine,it was withOUT an ignition source. Now that Its mounted in the plane and ready to go,I have an onboard ignition(that I'd also recommend to you) that will keep the plug hot at idle,so hopefully that maked it even better.

JPMacG 04-19-2008 11:12 PM

I just ran my new Saito 100 for the first time last weekend. It started right up with the factory settings. I broke it in per the directions on the unofficial Saito site. After 20 minutes I leaned the high end to peak -300 rpm. Then leaned the low end per the web site directions. It is beautiful. Idles at 2100 forever, great transition, great sound. I couldn't be happier.

I have heard comments from old timers at my field that Saitos were problems. That certainly is not my experience. All I can figure is that maybe Saitos were not as good many years ago as they are today.

Deadeye 04-20-2008 01:32 AM

Saito's kick butt!

Nathan King 04-20-2008 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I just ran my new Saito 100 for the first time last weekend. It started right up with the factory settings. I broke it in per the directions on the unofficial Saito site. After 20 minutes I leaned the high end to peak -300 rpm. Then leaned the low end per the web site directions. It is beautiful. Idles at 2100 forever, great transition, great sound. I couldn't be happier.

I have heard comments from old timers at my field that Saitos were problems. That certainly is not my experience. All I can figure is that maybe Saitos were not as good many years ago as they are today.
I'm glad you're happy with it. Your positive experience is not unique!