RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   What Full Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7397612-what-full-scale-aircraft.html)

JollyPopper 04-20-2008 05:45 PM

What Full Scale Aircraft

would you like to take a good long ride in if you had your choice of any aircraft known to man to take a ride in? I know this has nothing to do with RC but it certainly does have to do with flying.

I have always wanted, and still do, to take a good long flight in an open cockpit biplane. Just seems like that would be so much fun.

khodges 04-20-2008 06:06 PM

RE: What Full Scale Aircraft

1 Attachment(s)
That's a hard one to answer. I think it would be a blast to go for a couple of hours, cojones to the wall, in an SR-71. But, like you, I have a deep affection for open cockpit, low-and-slow flying. too. I got to realize that dream last summer, rode across downtown St. Louis in a Stearman, and also flew across the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers in a UPF-7 WACO. Nothing like the wind in your face and the thrumming music of a big round engine in your ears.

JollyPopper 04-20-2008 06:13 PM

OK, now I'm jealous. Not only that you got to ride in those airplanes but you did it where I grew up. My dad was the general foreman on the Chain of Rocks Canal which begins only several hundred yards below the confluence of the Mississippi and the Missouri. I spent many summers as a kid on tug boats in the river right at that particular point. I believe that job spanned like 17 years considering the construction of the lock and dam 27 in that canal.

daveopam 04-20-2008 08:51 PM

Hands down, P-51D.

David

GRANT ED 04-20-2008 09:17 PM

Without a doubt a fast jet. Something like an F-15. The feeling of power would be amazing.

khodges 04-20-2008 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Hands down, P-51D.

David
There was one of those at the airport where I got the bipe rides. He wasn't as forthcoming about a ride in his Mustang as the biplane owners were. If you noticed the pic above , the striped Stearman flying on our wing? That guy owned the Stearman, an SNJ (T-6) AND a P-51D, painted as Petie II. As far as warbirds go, I'd have to agree with you, dave either the Mustang or stuff me somewhere in a P-38. I did get to see the Mustang fly, though.

Acs_guitars 04-20-2008 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kinner Sportwing/Sportster:

BillyGoat 04-21-2008 07:21 AM

The Space Shuttle.

LDaba 04-21-2008 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would , (and have) ride for hours for a ride in planes. If I had a wish list the following would certainly be at the top of that list.

Happy landings, Tony. )

bassfisher 04-21-2008 08:14 AM

C-7A Caribou - the ultimate in STOL.

beenie 04-21-2008 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If I had to choose only one, the DC3.
Ben

JohnBuckner 04-21-2008 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

Kinner Sportwing/Sportster:

I beleve that is the same Sportwing that resided in the hanger nextdoor to mine for twenty years as a derelict at the old San Fernando Airport (now gone) north of Los Angeles. The owner died sometime around 80/85 and that hanger was cleaned out and the Kinner disappeared only to resurface later as the only flying Sportwing.

John

firstplaceaviator 04-21-2008 09:30 AM

Lancair Propjet... Ohhhhh... she's a sexy sexy plane:D But, she is way out of my price range.... I guess I'll just have to settle for a Glasair Super IIIRG.:D:D:D

ballgunner 04-21-2008 12:20 PM

The old B-two dozen. Maybe the All american

vicman 04-21-2008 12:24 PM

The Space Shuttle.
Roger That!!!

Hey Ballgunner! It's good to see you pop up here. I haven't seen your tag in a while. [)]

firstplaceaviator 04-21-2008 01:01 PM

The old B-two dozen. Maybe the All american
Nah... The Strawberry B*tch!
http://www.airventure.de/noseartpics...ry_*****_1.jpg

Bruno Stachel 04-21-2008 01:15 PM

Any open cockpit biplane would be fantastic for me. I guess a Stearman or a Waco would be the ticket. I've always thought it would be great to take a ride with the Red Baron Pizza Squadron. Doesn't look like that will happen, now that Schwan's has pulled the plug.:(However, it would be a tough choice between the biplane and say maybe getting to go vertical in an F-18, watching the ground fall away. (If I can turn my head with that g-load!) I've always been jealous [sm=angry.gif] of the electronic talking heads, who always seem to get a ride in either a Blue Angel or Thunderbird jet when they're in town.

LDaba 04-21-2008 01:31 PM

Bruno: If you are ever in New York there is a place where you could buy a ride in a Pitcarin Mailwing. Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome (do a Google search) puts on a fantastic (if a bit hoaky) show on Saturdays and Sundays. Part of their offering is a ride in the Mailwing.
Bruno, now let's see some real flying. (great movie)
Happy landings, Tony. )

JollyPopper 04-21-2008 04:37 PM

I would love to take a ride in any craft mentioned here so far, even including the DC-3. Don't understand that one as being first choice but there has to be a story there. I considered one of the fast modern fighter jets or the SR-71, but it seems to me that other than the departure from old Terra Firma and the arrival to old Terra Firma everything in between would be at such altitudes as to eliminate the sensation of speed or the ability to see anything on the ground. Now, don't get me wrong, if I were offered a ride in any of them I would jump at it. That is assuming anything other than the F-16 Thunderbirds or the FA-18 Blue Angels. I don't know if I would be up for that kind of ride (I am absolutely certain I would not tolerate the kind of ride they put on at air shows), but a tamed down version would be more than adequate.

The B-24 is an interesting choice. I really thought someone would choose the B-17. I believe I have read or heard somewhere that the B-24 flew more missions with a better record in WWII than the B-17, but I am not sure of that. I may have dreamed it.

The WWII fighters, the P-51D, the Spitfire, the P-38, and others would certainly be exciting. I understand that the big ***** Rolls Royce in the P-51D and the later marks of the Spitfire produced a sound like no other.

Keep them coming, guys. I'm enjoying thisespecially the pics. All good choices that I would love to ride in.

IL2windhawk 04-21-2008 05:05 PM

Harrier, especially operating from a ship at sea

Gray Beard 04-21-2008 05:21 PM

Space Shuttle!!!!!!!!!!!!

khodges 04-21-2008 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Space Shuttle!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we're gonna leave Terra Firma on rocket power, I'll choose the Saturn V. Maybe the landing won't be as much fun, but what a kick in the pants going up. 180 million horsepower can't be wrong.:)

Bruno Stachel 04-21-2008 07:33 PM

Hi LDaba,

Rhinebeck is definitely on my to do list.[sm=thumbup.gif] I'm trying to convince my wife an kiddies to go there. Maybe combine it with a stop to Cooperstown.

Tired Old Man 04-21-2008 07:51 PM

P-38

TexasAirBoss 04-21-2008 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You know what they say..................once you go open cockpit, you never go back.