RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Pulse or Piper Cub *sniff* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7422767-pulse-piper-cub-%2Asniff%2A.html)

Sempiterna 04-26-2008 02:25 PM

Pulse or Piper Cub *sniff*

So.. I want to get a piper cub. But I'm told by numerous people that i'd be bored with that plane, that i need to progress into a 3D high aerobatic model.

I fly 3-4 times a week, every good weather day. so I advance rather quickly. So, I dont really know what to think anymore.

My choices are..

Hangar 9 Pulse PNP or the Hangar 9 40 PNP Cub..

I currently have a Hangar 9 Ultra stick 40 (.72 saito, Spektrum DX7) and I really enjoy flying it. Sometimes I want more performance out of it. Faster, etc.. But I really like how I can fly it slow also.

Not sure if I should take the advice of those who see me fly, or if I should follow my heart in seeing that life like cub cruising through the air.....

ChuckW 04-26-2008 04:46 PM

RE: Pulse or Piper Cub *sniff*

It just depends on what you want to do with it. You can fly the Cub very scale-like and do some mild aerobatics with it. Sure, it won't hover or anything but it can be challenging in a different way if you want it to be.

The Pulse will be a smooth flying sport plane that's faster than the cub and capable of more aerobatic stuff.

Either is good. Many people have a variety of different types of planes.

JCOKEEFE 04-26-2008 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Sempiterna

So.. I want to get a piper cub. But I'm told by numerous people that i'd be bored with that plane, that i need to progress into a 3D high aerobatic model.

I fly 3-4 times a week, every good weather day. so I advance rather quickly. So, I dont really know what to think anymore.

My choices are..

Hangar 9 Pulse PNP or the Hangar 9 40 PNP Cub..

I currently have a Hangar 9 Ultra stick 40 (.72 saito, Spektrum DX7) and I really enjoy flying it. Sometimes I want more performance out of it. Faster, etc.. But I really like how I can fly it slow also.

Not sure if I should take the advice of those who see me fly, or if I should follow my heart in seeing that life like cub cruising through the air.....
[8D]Follow your heart. Stop listening to your friends. There's more to life than
"high performance" and "unlimited vertical", etc.

Nathan King 04-26-2008 09:15 PM

While the Cub is not an aerobat it does teach some very important rudder skills. If you want the Cub, get it. It will still teach you a thing or two. [)]

OzMo 04-26-2008 09:26 PM

Cubs are great to fly and relax with but different from a trainer. As said before they like the rudder. And they look cool!!![8D]
A Cub would also make a great glider tug and is way cool on floats.

Sempiterna 04-27-2008 12:33 AM

I did it..

I got the hangar 9 40 PNP..

Wow its big!

Never really put into perspective the 80" wingspan. Makes the 57" wingspan on my ultra stick 40 pale.

Heavy too.. but its within the cg limits right out of the box.

How's the Evo .46 engine going to treat me?

Sourkraut 04-27-2008 06:39 AM

I've got a Pulse XT and a GP Piper Cub 80" and yes they do fly differant from each other but both are very enjoyable. The Pulse is quicker and does nicer aerobatics but there is nothing prettier than a Cub doing a slow flyby or a slow controlled loop. I have all kinds of differant planes and I usually pick the ones that I want to fly based on the mood I'm in at the moment. Only having one style of plane, that does only one facet of the hobby, will become boring quickly. You buy what you want to fly and remember, more planes is not always a bad thing[)]

For those who don't think that a Cub can be aerobatic, go have a look in the "Member Airplane Videos" section just up the page and watch what Bill Hempel can do with a Cub[8D]

As far as the EVO .46 in your Cub, it will do just fine. I have an OS .46AX in mine and I can cruise around at 1/4 throttle all day.

Regards

Curt

av8ter 12-02-2008 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Sempiterna

I did it..

I got the hangar 9 40 PNP..

Wow its big!

Never really put into perspective the 80" wingspan. Makes the 57" wingspan on my ultra stick 40 pale.

Heavy too.. but its within the cg limits right out of the box.

How's the Evo .46 engine going to treat me?

Great choice...

I have four cubs as well as many other sport and scale aircraft. I still gravitate towards the cubs. I have a clipped wing Goldberg 40 size, a clipped wing sig 1/4 scale, a hangar 9 (very old) kit bashed to an L-4 and I just recently purchase a 1/3 Balsa USA J-3.

You will find many hours of enjoyment flying, if you fly what brings YOU joy. Cubs are keepers and they just look great in the air. Wait until the classic biplane bug hits you....oh....my....LOL. You can't have enough airplanes....it's a passion, obssesion, disease, and a stress reliever all in one.

As for the EVO it is a great motor and they start easy and make lots of power, you will be very pleased with this choice.

Enjoy your cub.
Larry

Villa 12-02-2008 11:05 AM

Why not have two planes? I have a 71" WS J3-Cub and just love it. Flying it is very different from my other planes. It can do most of the maneuvers and just loves to snap roll. It will snap roll on you in a heartbeat, sometimes during takeoff if you have treated it badly. I also fly a pusher Canard of my own design. It has it's own requirements. I also fly a biplane of my own design. That one can even do 3D, though I'm not very good at it. Then there is my twin tail highly acrobatic plane. It can do more than I'm capable of. Have at least two planes. Go for it. Keeps you young. I'll be 73 in a few more weeks.

Sempiterna 12-02-2008 12:04 PM

I ended up buying the Cub... Crashed it three times, never seriously. Repaired it very nicely each and then hung it from my ceiling. It's a great show piece now :-( ..

I have a Hangar 9 Twist and a low wing Sky Raider that I fly constantly now.. I wish i'd have gotten the pulse. The cub sure flies realistic, and maybe I'm too used to planes that fly too well. (Twist)

I can preform perfect landings with the twist that just float the runway and touch with no bounces... people aclaim my landings all the time.. but the Cub just defeats me somehow, and I'm afraid of really damaging it.

wldhair 12-13-2009 09:54 PM

I am looking for a cub L-4 grasshopper (military version) Does anyone know where I can purchase one in an ARF form ?

Tom

Jetdesign 12-14-2009 01:02 AM

I got myself a .40 size Decathlon, hearing that it's more aerobatic and less forgiving than a Cub. I think I flew 3 or 4 flights with the plane and hated it! It was so much less 'aerobatic' than what I was expecting. I sold it and got myself a Great Planes Venus II, more of a pattern style aerobat. Absolutely loved that plane.

Here's the kicker - I had no idea what scale aerobatics were and had never seen a Decathlon or similar in flight. If I were not in such a darn hurry with this hobby, maybe I would have held on to the plane and learned to fly it like it was meant to be flown.

I think planes like the Cub and the Decathlon have a lot of lessons to teach. It is fun dragging a plane around behind a propeller, and it's also fun trying to cover up the fact that that's really what I'm doing...but it makes it 10 times more fun when you understand what the plane is doing and can actually fly the plane through maneuvers, rather than pulling the plane through maneuvers. These planes are meant to be flown on the wing, more scale-like, and learning to do that will improve your flying many times over.

Many/most of the top 3D pilots were pattern/Imac guys at first, which kind of shows a similar progression - it shows that learning the very basics of flight will really serve as the building blocks for whatever you want to do in the future.