RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Is white monocoat harder to cover with? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7436308-white-monocoat-harder-cover.html)

jonathanhly 04-29-2008 04:45 PM

Is white monocoat harder to cover with?

I started covering my Rv-4 and started with the verticle fin, its red, very first time covering and it looks GREAT! Then i went to the stab which is white and it looks not terrable but not good either, i did nothing differtnly it just doesnt look nearly as nicely. There are lots of small wrinkles and just ugly looking, is this because its easier to see your mistakes in white or is there some secret to making white monocoat look good?

ChuckW 04-29-2008 05:24 PM

RE: Is white monocoat harder to cover with?

Generally I've founds that the basic colors like white, red, blue, black, yellow and so on are easier to work with than metallics, flats and other stuff. That could just be my imagination of course.

I covered my Cap-232 is a mostly white Monokote base and had no problems. Maybe you got a bad roll or something.

Minnflyer did some videos on covering. Maybe he can chime in and provide the link.

This book is pretty good too: https://secure.rcstore.com/pcd/eServ...N1YlRlcm09MA==

SKYHI1 04-29-2008 05:27 PM

It has been my experience that Monokote is a handful no matter what color is utilized. You need plenty of time with a heat gun tugging and pulling. It always seem time consuming. I would always burn my fingers. My recommendation is to use Ultracote. You will be impressed with the results. Also, you won't have the sag the Monokote product will have after time in the sun.

Good Luck!
Frank

Acs_guitars 04-29-2008 05:32 PM

+1 for Ultracote... night and day difference compared to Monokote. You will be suprised how much more user friendly Ultracote is, it is the only plastic film I will use.

dhal22 04-29-2008 05:54 PM

fiber glass cloth, some minwax water based polycrylic, some sand paper and sandable primer, a couple of rattle cans of gloss paint and sealer and you won't have any wrinkles or stretching problems. minimal weight gain and a real finish comes with this method. sorry, i can't stand plastic finishes.

david

Crash Campbell 04-29-2008 09:01 PM

Hi jonathanhly,

White Monocoat needs more heat than most the of the other colours as (along with silver) more is reflected. Practice on some scrap to work out the setting for your iron and how long to hold the gun in shrink position before a hole magically appears (split second).

If the bubbles persist most can be removed with heat and a pin *****.

Good Luck,

Colin

r2champion 05-01-2008 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Crash Campbell

Hi jonathanhly,

White Monocoat needs more heat than most the of the other colours as (along with silver) more is reflected.
How is more heat reflected with white/silver than any other color?

macdona 05-01-2008 02:33 PM

Something changed with Monokote quite some time back. It became very difficult to work with, and that is when they lost me to Ultra Cote. After using UC I wondered why I didn't change sooner.

Sport_Pilot 05-01-2008 02:45 PM

Because white reflects infrared heat, black asorbs it, I suppose. I doubt much of the heat is from infrared light, I suspect the product is thicker to make it more opaque. Other colors may not need to be as thick.

Gray Beard 05-01-2008 03:01 PM

Another Ultra vote. Something changed 8 or 10 years ago with the Mono and it became A hit and miss game using the stuff. I went over to the Ultra and use mono as little as I can. It works but not always as well as it should and not as well at all compared to Ultra.
Saying that I admit that there silver is way better then the Ultra for some reason??[:-]

r2champion 05-01-2008 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Because white reflects infrared heat, black asorbs it, I suppose. I doubt much of the heat is from infrared light, I suspect the product is thicker to make it more opaque. Other colors may not need to be as thick.
I knew the physics related to photons and color absorption/reflection, however didn't think it applied to direct heat, just curious anyways.

Broken Wings 05-01-2008 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: dhal22

fiber glass cloth, some minwax water based polycrylic, some sand paper and sandable primer, a couple of rattle cans of gloss paint and sealer and you won't have any wrinkles or stretching problems. minimal weight gain and a real finish comes with this method. sorry, i can't stand plastic finishes.

david
+1

spiral_72 05-02-2008 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: dhal22

david
I heard a rumor that a glass plane has only one crash in it. I talked to a guy I met at the field that builds primarily glass planes (like glass over a wood mold) and he confirmed this. Does this hold true for the method you are referring to?

spiral_72 05-02-2008 10:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Heat IS infared light.

Clay Walters 05-02-2008 11:30 AM

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2205835AAg5hwv

Gray Beard 05-02-2008 12:35 PM

What they are talking about with glassing is for sheeted planes. It adds A bunch of extra strength to the structure. I'm just finishing up A nice extra that I glassed. Between the sheeting, glassing, sanding, prep work, primmer and then painting I could have covered this plane 10 times over and for A lot less money. For the normal sport plane it's nothing to even think about but you will never worry about covering sag, bubble or lift with the paint. On the right plane I go with glass and paint from now on.

jonathanhly 05-03-2008 11:22 AM

IS there such a thing as too much heat, besides burning it i mean, i do believe that white monocoat needs more heat but how much is too much, are there any signs of too much heat besides burning a hole through the covering?

Thx jon