RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Wing loading (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7487588-wing-loading.html)

KI8FR 05-12-2008 04:00 PM

Wing loading

I just got my cap 232 all set and ready to go. I put it on the scale and found out that the plane is 15lbs 4oz. It has 1032" to the wing wich come out to be about 32oz per square. I do not do 3D I just like to fly. How well do you think this plane will do?

Paul

alfredbmor 05-12-2008 08:14 PM

RE: Wing loading

Is it the Great Planes 1.6 or Hangar 9 Cap?
Which engine are you using?
Numbers (Wing loading) are pretty descent for the weight that you are posting. It will fly safely.

tailskid 05-12-2008 08:34 PM

Just remember to keep the elevator throws lower (smaller) than maxed out!

alfredbmor 05-12-2008 08:38 PM

And also double check the CG as the Cap is very responsive.

da Rock 05-12-2008 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: KI8FR

I just got my cap 232 all set and ready to go. I put it on the scale and found out that the plane is 15lbs 4oz. It has 1032" to the wing wich come out to be about 32oz per square. I do not do 3D I just like to fly. How well do you think this plane will do?

Paul

What was the advertised weight? If you're within a pound or two, it'll fly ok for boring holes in the sky. But you'll need to be very serious about testing to see how it handles when flown slow (like slow as in landing). Take it up high and fly it as slow as you can to find out what it does when it decides to stop flying. And to find out what that speed looks like. Then, don't go that slowly when landing.

KI8FR 05-13-2008 01:08 AM

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor

Is it the Great Planes 1.6 or Hangar 9 Cap?
Which engine are you using?
Numbers (Wing loading) are pretty descent for the weight that you are posting. It will fly safely.

This plane is a copy of the Hanger 9 73" cap 232. I made it from scrach. I have a gasser chanesaw engine on it that is about 40cc It will tern a 18x8 prop about 8400 rpms.

The Hanger 9 73" cap 232 said that it will be about 12 lbs. This one came out at 15 lbs.

I hope that it will fly good. I did not add no lbs to it at all to get the CG right at 5 7/8" were the cap call for it. There is no way I can put a lighter engine in this plane with out adding to the nose and come out under 15 lbs.

I hope it will do good. I will put a post on here and let you all know how it flys.

Paul

jaka 05-13-2008 08:55 AM

Hi!
At that weight I would not expect too much of it!
I had a SIG CAP 231 EX a couple of years ago powered by a MVVS 25cc glow engine swinging a 18x6 Menz wooden prop, and that plane weighted 5kg (11lbs/ pounds) and I could hower it at 2/3 power and climb straight up indefinitely. I still thought it lacked in power though.

15 pounds is way way to much if you want to do any manouvering than just flying straight and do a loop now and then.

Rodney 05-13-2008 11:02 AM

That is a wing volume loading of over 12 so it will be pretty much a lead sled.

spiral_72 05-13-2008 12:28 PM

Paul

Built it from scratch eh? Cool! I'd like to see some pictures! Do you have any assembly pictures?

What equipment are you using? Maybe we can help you shed some weight.
3lbs over is quite a bit. Is that with or without fuel?

I suppose you use the stock ignition? A magneto? You might be able to do some cutting on the engine and reduce weight. One idea that comes to mind is a chainsaw engine has enough cooling surface so that it can be run under load with little or no airflow. I expect airflow won't be a problem on an airplane so maybe you could shave some material there. Also the cast motor could probably have all the flashing removed, maybe an ounce savings?

Is there any lead in the plane for balance?

What size tank?

KI8FR 05-13-2008 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: spiral_72

Paul

Built it from scratch eh? Cool! I'd like to see some pictures! Do you have any assembly pictures?

What equipment are you using? Maybe we can help you shed some weight.
3lbs over is quite a bit. Is that with or without fuel?

I suppose you use the stock ignition? A magneto? You might be able to do some cutting on the engine and reduce weight. One idea that comes to mind is a chainsaw engine has enough cooling surface so that it can be run under load with little or no airflow. I expect airflow won't be a problem on an airplane so maybe you could shave some material there. Also the cast motor could probably have all the flashing removed, maybe an ounce savings?

Is there any lead in the plane for balance?

What size tank?

I have no lead in this plane at all. Just putting the engine in set the CG right on. I have a 20oz tank and and it is with out fuel.

I did all that to the engine. I cut down a lot off of it. I put CH ignition on it. The engine with muffler is 3 lbs and 6 oz. Witch is not bad at all for that engine.

The teil of this plane is heavy but so is the Hanger 9 caps tail.

I am seeing a lot of back and forth on this. I do not want to do 3D. I just love to fly. I just would like to know what to expect when I take this up for the 1st time.

Thanks for all you in put.

Paul

spiral_72 05-14-2008 09:09 AM

I don't know what your experience level is, but for me, I'd have a good pilot on hand to get it down if needed.

Your stall speed is going to be much higher, so keep that in mind and land fast. With that motor and prop, I'll bet getting in the air won't be a problem. Dedicate your first flight to trimming then plan for the landing. See what and how fast the plane acts like when you drop your speed.

Make sure you've got plenty of roll out room after the plane touches down. I'll bet that bird is gonna come in fast!

Just an idea: Y'know it wouldn't really be THAT hard to add another 6-8" to the wingspan if you had too......... just a thought. Do some calculations and see how much it'd help.

Besides, anything will fly with enough power. Fighter jets are proof of that.

jaka 05-14-2008 10:47 AM

Hi!
20oz tank is way too much! I use a 550cc tank for my MVVS 45cc engine in Aeroworks Yak-45.

KI8FR 05-14-2008 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
20oz tank is way too much! I use a 550cc tank for my MVVS 45cc engine in Aeroworks Yak-45.

Yes it is. I was thinking about that. 20 oz of fuel will bring the plane over 16 lbs. I have a 10 oz here that I will put in it. I do not know how long this engine will run on 10 oz so I should check it out before the 1st flight. Dead stick is not a good idea untill I know what this plane will do.

I have been flying big birds for 10 years, and flying for 25 years over all. I just have no idea on how well a plane this small will do with this much weight. But it is fun to find out lol

Paul

KI8FR 05-14-2008 04:07 PM

I just got done putting in a 10 oz tank. Now my CG is 3/8" to far back. this bites. There is no way to take weight out of the tail. There is not much there to take out to start with. It looks as if I will have to add 4 oz to the fire wall to put the CG right. That will put my plane at 15 lbs and 8 oz. I know that this is going to be hot to land. but I do have flaperons on this plane. If I have them set right will they help me slow down to land it. I have not ever had a plane that I needed flaps. I have some that have them but never used them. I put allot of work in to the plane and it would suck to stop or start all over.

Any and all input would be great

Thanks
Paul

Rodney 05-15-2008 09:08 AM

Be cautious on the use of flaperons on landings, it aggravates the tendency for the plane to tip stall as it has just the opposite effect of washout.

spiral_72 05-15-2008 09:29 AM

Hey, don't add weight..... move something forward! The battery is probably the easiest.

Using carbon fiber tube for your pushrods in the tail might shed weight.

What size Rx battery are you using? If it's 2000mAh or something huge, you can go with something smaller.

It's kinda fun to go through a plane and squeeze weight out of it. I lost 3oz on my 6lbs plane without spending any money. Not that it made a huge difference in how it flew, but it's the principle I suppose.

You should really post some pics and a complete equipment list. Maybe we can help.