RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Fuel Soaked Wood?!?!? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/751144-fuel-soaked-wood.html)

f2titan 05-06-2003 10:22 PM

Fuel Soaked Wood?!?!?

My son's covering came off part of his elevator last weekend. He tried to do a small patch job at the field and kept flying some more. It was of course on the exhaust side. And now the wood is soaked with fuel, and monocoat won't stick to it. Is there a way to remove the fuel, or take care of this problem? So it can be covered again.

Thx…

:confused:

blvdbuzzard 05-06-2003 10:38 PM

Fuel Soaked Wood?!?!?

If youdo a search on fuel soaked wood you will find all of the info. To make a short reply here.

The tops are Kr2 spot remover and soaking the wood with denatured alcohol and then applying Balsa Rite to the wood then cover it with the film. I think the alcohol method cost less and has worked well for me. The alcohol pulls the oil out of the wood without causing to much stink from fumes like Laquer thinner does.

Dru.

Longaly 05-06-2003 10:40 PM

fuel soaked balsa

I have used a spot remover named K2R. I found some at a local grocery store on the cleaning supply aisle. It may take several applications but it worked great for me. I have also heard of people using a baking soda/alcohol mixture, but I have no idea what the mix ratio is. There have been several threads on this. Try doing a search and I am sure you will find more on K2R and several other ideas. Hope this helps you out.

Spaceclam 05-06-2003 10:43 PM

fuel soaked wood

all i can say is all that is left on the wood is oil. it has already soaked into the wood and most likely penetrated deeply. so, instead of trying to stick the monocote to the wood, try sticking it to the monocote that is already there. you can wipe the oil off of that. you just have to be sure to do a really good job of getting it all off because even with the best cleaners, there will be a small amount of residue. it may not look wuite the same when you are done, but if the monocote that fell off is underneath, you will never see it. if it is on the top, you could try overlapping as little as possible and use a bit of silicone glue because you can get that off. best wishes

speedy3do 06-10-2003 05:12 PM

Fuel Soaked Wood?!?!?

I have had this problem fixing someone elses plane, it had a leaky tank and the thing had been stored with fuel in it so as you can figure out it was a real mess, what I used was starting fluid for desiels it seemed to draw the oil out quite well on the first app and I will repeat, one nice thing is that you can spray into tight places and it completely evaporates, keep wiping and spraying. Try it it works great :p

Runway 06-10-2003 05:42 PM

Fuel Soaked Wood?!?!?

Another way [when you can reach the fuel soaked parts easily] is to use a not too hot covering iron and blotting, or other absorbent, paper. This takes quite a lot of the fuel/oil out of the wood. When it cools, give it a coat of fuelproofer [or varnish]. Then you can recover.

Works for me!

Danielson1 06-14-2003 12:55 AM

Fuel Soaked Wood?!?!?

fuel soaked wood is a long term problem , only a short term fix is
possiable . one way is applying methalyated spirtis to the affeacted area with some cotten wool then absorbing the despelled fuel with some sort of highly absorbant cloth etc facial tissues work well. or the alternative is to buy some adheisive covering glue your locial hobby shop will point you in the right direction.
Daniel son

Blackie 06-14-2003 03:33 AM

Fuel Soaked Wood?!?!?

I was going to suggest the same thing that runway mentioned but instead of a heathing iron, I use a heating gun either a hobby gun or a hair blow dryer. Thing is the heat draws the oil to the top thus allowing you to blot the oil out of the wood with a paper towel. One reason you are not able to cover is because the heat from your iron draws the oil to the top surface thus not alling the cote to stick.

Blackie

The PIPE 06-15-2003 09:58 PM

HERE's a thread "elsewhere" about this very subject...

Dear F2Titan:

The PIPE Here again-and where my small Bücker Jungmeister is in need of some SERIOUS oil residue removal from its fuselage and wing center sections (it IS a bipe) a thread at http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000075.html has a MARVELOUS amount of info about this very subject as well!

I'm going to be using denatured alcohol, a covering iron, paper towels and cotton balls to do the work of removing as MUCH oil as possible from the plane's structure-and it was the linked thread I mentioned here that gave me the idea!

Please check it out-it may be of help to you!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE! ;)