RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Epoxy & micro balloons, how too?? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/8319177-epoxy-micro-balloons-how-too.html)

Krener 01-04-2009 08:34 PM

Epoxy & micro balloons, how too??

Ok this might seem a little odd, but at what ratio do people mix epoxy & micro balloons to use as filler for stab seats etc, while still keeping it at a sandable consistency??
I've seen referance to it many times, and even tried twice, but it came out very hard (too much epoxy) and on the second try took for ever to cure, and didn't seem to be very sturdy.

I know it's hard to explain with words, but a little guide would help me no end.

Cheers

Ram Jet 01-04-2009 08:42 PM

RE: Epoxy & micro balloons, how too??

I would contact West System Epoxy or

ATL Compsites Pty.Ltd.
P.O. Box 2349/Southport 4215
Queensland, Australia

www.atlcomposites.com

Phone: 61-755-63-1222
Fax: 61-755-63-1585

E-mail: info@atlcomposites.com

Bill

w8ye 01-04-2009 08:47 PM

I add the micro Balloons until I get the thickness I like.

I have bought micro balloon filler for boats and it is almost dry it is so thick. You have to almost pack it into place

crossman 01-05-2009 10:16 AM

You might try reading this info,

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...dles/index.htm

I have been looking into the same topic myself, as I am getting ready to do the wing saddles on two planes.

jaka 01-05-2009 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
Must be the epoxy you use ! Do not use the glue variety! 24 hour epoxy is what you should use.! An alternative to epoxy is polyester resin.Much easier to mix the hardener to polyester resin as you just dabble in some drops of it...no specific mixing ratio like with epoxy (like 100/38 and so on).
West-System epoxy is fairly good but there are much better epoxy out there (which gets harder and is easier to sand) if you just search the web.

Jetdesign 01-05-2009 12:15 PM

I mostly use 30 min epoxy, sometimes 5 min epoxy. Definitely trial and error, but eventually you get the feel of how thick to make it. Now when I mix microballoons, it seems fairly thick and white, but is still thin enough to settle into crevasses. It should be thick and pasty but not dry. I love the stuff, have been using it now for everything - filling gaps between stabs/rudder, filling the hinge slots after hinges are glued and dried, minor repairs on lite ply, etc.

Rodney 01-05-2009 12:50 PM

It is best to use a slower epoxy, 30 minute works well. Always first mix the epoxy parts together very thoroughly then add the micro balloons. How much: Depends on the application. I usually add balloons until I get a paste about like thick peanut butter as it will hold its shape better if you need to do a little filliting. The more balloons you add, the easier it will be to sand and will add less weight.

Kaos Rulz 01-05-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Rodney

The more balloons you add, the easier it will be to sand and will add less weight.
I agree. In fact, I like to buy the micro balloons filled with helium. Works great on those nose-heavy, or tail-heavy planes. :D

Kaos Rulz 01-05-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Rodney

The more balloons you add, the easier it will be to sand and will add less weight.
I agree. In fact, I like to buy the micro balloons filled with helium. Works great on those nose-heavy, or tail-heavy planes. :D

Edwin 01-05-2009 01:37 PM

I use Finish Reson with micro balloons. I found that standard hobby epoxy sets too hard. Finish reson and micro balloons sands like hard balsa. Just right for me.
Edwin

mikegordon10 01-05-2009 03:23 PM

Use Pacer Z-Poxy Finishing Resin
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...esin&search=Go and add as much micro ballons as it takes to get it to a consistency that will hold the shape your trying to achieve. It also helps to smooth the fillet out with your finger dipped in alcohol. Very little sanding will be required. Practice makes perfect!

ampeater 01-06-2009 12:05 PM

I use polyester resin from the auto parts store. I only mix about an ounce at a time since the mocroballons give you less working time. The more ballons, the easier it is to sand and the lighter. On the other hand, the more you add, the shorter the working time. It takes a bit of practice, but I try to add as much as I can but still give enough work time, a couple times I had it starting to kick before I was done. I mix the resin with the hardener first, then add ballons until it's like a white, thick peanut butter. It's still thin enough for a good flow and gives about 10 minutes of working time. Then it sands very easy.

Edwin 01-06-2009 03:52 PM

I didnt mention ratio. I mix the finish reson 50/50, then add micro balloons until I get a tooth paste consistancy. I only use this method in areas for small fillets and such. Never have piled it only, dont think it would be that good that way.
Edwin

j.duncker 01-07-2009 05:49 PM

Essential to mix the epoxy first then add the ballons.

I like light models [ they fly better ] and have never found the limit on adding ballons. If the mix will stay together as I stir it then it will cure and sand cleanly. I use 12 min or 30 min epoxy.

ALWAYS SAND EPOXY WITH A MASK

safeTwire 01-07-2009 10:31 PM

I mix Ambroid cement with micro balloons. You get a filler as think or thin as you like, it dries pretty quick and easy to sand. Its light in weight. If you have a deep area, you have to do a few applications.

Krener 01-09-2009 10:04 AM

I'll make a few test batches with different epoxies & finishing resin, one em has to give me what I want:D
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers