RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Futaba FF6 Battery ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/847456-futaba-ff6-battery.html)

Spindizzy 06-09-2003 04:24 PM

Futaba FF6 Battery ?

Hello Folks

I have Futaba FF6 computer radio and seem to have battery problems. If I charge it fully then don't use it for a couple of weeks there is barely 25 mins of useable power in it. Were I to use it the day after charging I get over 2 hours use. I suspected the bat pack was faulty but after swapping with a good one I got the same problem. I am loathe to remove the battery for extended periods in case the Transmitter needs it to save my model data. Does this transmitter drain even when switched off ??

Can I remove the pack until it is required for use ?

I don't have this problem with my older non computer Futaba radios.

Hope you can help :D

Sean

cabanestrut2002 06-09-2003 10:19 PM

Futaba FF6 Battery ?

save my model data
dont worry, all computer trannies have a internal pcb mounted memory battery should last months before it drains itself.
as for the main battery, how fast have you been charging it , do you discharge it after use. it should be lasting longer that that

Spindizzy 06-10-2003 05:07 AM

Futaba FF6 Battery ?

I always slow charge it for the recommended time of about 14-16 hours. Before charging I flatten the battery to maintain good cycling. If I don't use the trany for a while I always flatten it then recharge it for the recommended period. The exception is when perhaps I get the sudden urge to go flying after say a two week pause and then there is virtually nothing in the pack !!.
As I mentioned previously, if i used the tranny the same or next day after charging I get over 2 hours constant use. This happens with any battery.

At least I know now I can remove the battery when not in use. I am asuming it is somehow trickling away through the trannsmitter somewhow when not in use ??

Thanks for your help !

Sean

Cactus. 06-10-2003 03:45 PM

Futaba FF6 Battery ?

i charge mine about once every two weeks depending on how much flying i do, i dont notice it going flatter quicker when i havent flown for a while, i cant say i discharge, but i do slow charge, fast if i need a quick fix

Bax 06-10-2003 08:24 PM

Futaba FF6 Battery ?

NiCd battery packs normally self discharge at the rate of 1-3% per day. Older packs will be at the higher end of the scale. It's normal for a fully-charged pack to lose a significant amount of charge if it goes unused for a week or two. That's why you should charge your battery pack overnight before flying...or use a fast charger before you go out.

Futaba computer transmitters, except the 9Z and 9V series, have a non-volatile memory. They don't use an extra battery to keep the memory. You can safely remove the regular battery pack and memory will not be lost.

The 9V and 9Z transmitters use a lithium battery cell to keep the memory 'alive' and require that the lithium battery cell be replaced every 5 years or so.

Spindizzy 06-11-2003 04:57 AM

Futaba FF6 Battery ?

Thanks for the info !

I will I think splash out on a new fast charger as I only have the standard slow charger that comes with the radio. I had not realised so much power could be lost over time with ni-cads.

Maybe I should just fly more often and it wouldnt be a problem :D

Sean