RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   What sungalss lens color is best for RC flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/8638329-what-sungalss-lens-color-best-rc-flying.html)

wjbender 04-01-2009 11:03 AM

What sungalss lens color is best for RC flying

I want to buy a new pair of sunglasses for use at the flying field. What color lens is the best for our hobby?

The choices are - Amber, Gray, Yellow

Thanks for any comments

FLPilot 04-01-2009 11:19 AM

RE: What sungalss lens color is best for RC flying

Costa Del Mar in Green Mirror (amber lens) and Blue Mirror (gray lens) are very good. For low light conditions (Green Mirror) and bright light conditions (Blue mirror).

Polarized, both protect against UV A, B and C, which is most important, at least for me. These lenses are also used extensively for flats fishing (into the water) Green Mirror and open water fishing (Blue Mirror). Lenses in glass or CR 39. Variety of lenses sizes.

Probably one of the best going for eye health and excellent performance.

http://www.costadelmar.com/store/BVM...d-1b5a995d4af1

DR

bgfireman 04-01-2009 12:12 PM

What ever color you get make sure they are polarized. That cuts down on the glare.
Alan

KW_Counter 04-01-2009 12:29 PM

I prefer a brpwn/amber color.
Not to much as it will distort the colors.
I don't like BlueBlockers as they turn things orange.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter

proptop 04-01-2009 01:03 PM

I think it's a matter of personal preference...experience will tell you what works best for you.
For me, it's usually gray tinted...occasionally switching to light amber or yellow in over-cast or evening / low light conditions.

-pkh- 04-01-2009 01:14 PM

I like dark gray best. Dark brown would be my second choice.

I have prescription glasses with Transition brand lenses. They change to a dark gray within about 60 seconds of being outside in bright sunlight. The only drawback is that they need UV light to change, so to use them for driving, they won't darken (auto windshields filter out UV light). For RC flying outside, though, they work perfectly.

tucker1865 04-01-2009 01:18 PM

My optomitrist made me a pair to correct depth perseption (20/40-20/70) and they called the company that did the tinting and they suggested golfer's yellow. Go to Walmart and get a pair of yellow shooters glasses and if you don't like them they will take them back. It depends on how much sun and glare you are dealing with. Our field runs east to west and the sun is to our right and in the winter, to the right rear. We are never looking directly into the sun. The yellow is like the difference between regular TV and Hi-def TV.

chashint 04-01-2009 02:52 PM

I use gray for bright clear days and amber/brown for overcast days.
Both pair are polarized.
Walmart sells over RX sunglasses in the eyeglass dept.
And if you search for Polar Optics you can buy them direct from the mfg.

Norm Nestie 04-02-2009 03:59 PM

As an optician sharp, clear vision is crtical when flying and I've tried several different lenses including poaroid, transitions, etc. I prefer the light yellow lenses for all conditions. We're not flying into direct sun which would be a real pain with any lens. FWIW

motomike 09-28-2012 01:56 PM

I know it is an old thread, but was on point for me.

Why polarized lenses? I can see if you are fishing and want the reflection off the water eliminated, or driving or just about anything where the glare is undesirable, but when we are trying to pick out plane out of the haze, the very glare you eliminate helps you in seeing and orienting your airplane.

I can of course see that you want full UV protection, but polarized doesn't make sense to me.

as for color, I learned when I was doing black and white photography, the yellow lenses improve contrast. For that reason, yellow shooters or amberish brownish lenses seem as though they would be best seeing your airplane. And since you are looking up into the sky, I'd think wrap arounds would be better for RC glasses.

am I out to lunch?

Mike

Luchnia 09-28-2012 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: motomike

I know it is an old thread, but was on point for me.

Why polarized lenses? I can see if you are fishing and want the reflection off the water eliminated, or driving or just about anything where the glare is undesirable, but when we are trying to pick out plane out of the haze, the very glare you eliminate helps you in seeing and orienting your airplane.

I can of course see that you want full UV protection, but polarized doesn't make sense to me.

as for color, I learned when I was doing black and white photography, the yellow lenses improve contrast. For that reason, yellow shooters or amberish brownish lenses seem as though they would be best seeing your airplane. And since you are looking up into the sky, I'd think wrap arounds would be better for RC glasses.

am I out to lunch?

Mike

I have some amber/yellow but mine are a bit too dark for me. Where is the best place to get the lighter amber like shooting glasses without giving my arms and legs and mortgaging my house? :D

motomike 09-28-2012 03:26 PM

I require a perscription and I think I'd like them on the darker side, , but if not, I'd look towards something like these.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagye.html

Luchnia 09-28-2012 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: motomike

I require a perscription and I think I'd like them on the darker side, , but if not, I'd look towards something like these.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagye.html

Very good and at a price that you cannot argue with!

jester_s1 09-28-2012 07:08 PM

Luchina- what would you consider a good budget for sunglasses? Oakley has a great selection of lens colors. Their bronze has enough red in it to cut the haze but not enough to really change the way you see colors. It was developed for golfers who need to be able to see details far away. About $100 will get you a basic pair with some wraparound protection (an absolute must). For something cheaper, I used a pair of Cocoons for a while and liked them. IMO, cheap sunglasses ($20 and down) are fine for looking cool and will protect you eyes from UV, but the optical quality is so bad most of the time you're better off without them.

Gray Beard 09-28-2012 07:48 PM

Go into any good gun store and you can buy shooting clip on lenses and see what you like best. As a trap and skeet shooter I had several different colors for different light conditions. I do wear transition glasses and they work very well but the different colors made the targets pop out of different back grounds and light conditions. I used yellow or vermilion most the time.
Living in the desert and flying with no background to speak of I don't bother with anything special. The transitions work as well as anything.

Charlie P. 09-28-2012 07:52 PM

I have used gray polarized for years.  Yellow and orange models stand out well. 

Luchnia 09-29-2012 02:47 AM

Well as far as color when I am trying something I have not used I will go cheap to start off to determine what color may work best. Once I am satisfied of a certain color for certain light conditions then I would look for a quality pair of glasses to fill the void. I usually spend around 30-100, however mostly around the mid price mark.

I have a pair of Extreme Force and they are fantastic however they are not the amber color. I think they were around 50. I do have a pair of ambers but they are just way too dark for my eyes. I need a much lighter pair of amber to allow better vision yet with some help in contrast.

jester_s1 09-29-2012 06:28 AM

Oakley's pumpkin color would probably work for you then. It's not all that dark and it meant to improve color contrast.

acdii 10-02-2012 05:06 AM

I have the super duty Transitions that darken even inside a car, and they seem to work pretty well for me, especially since the field I fly in has the sun on our left in the evenings, and is right where we need to see when landing, so it can be a real PITE.    The Transitions I have are a little darker inside too, there is an obvious tint to them.

JohnMcGowan 10-02-2012 05:52 PM

acdii, do you have the Transitions Extra Active? Really all they are is the Trans Grey with an additional slight grey tint added to them.
Another type of lens that is photochomic and they will daken inside your vehicle is the Drivewear brand. I have a pair of those and they do pretty well.
My favorite ones that I wear when I fly are some that I made myself and they have a color that is called Serengeti yellow. They are a yellow base and have a slight brown added to them to slightly make them darker to help prevent squinting on brighter days. They really make things POP out and give great depth perception.
Also, you really want the lens material to be made of polycarbonate . This material is shatter resistant, NOT shatter proof. But it is a great barrier for any objects speeding toward the eyeglass lesnes, plus polycarb is already a UV blocker.
John

bikerbc 10-03-2012 08:32 AM

When I was flying full size we were warned agained wearing polorized sunglasses and after talking to other pilots I settled on a pair of Serengetti glasses...I still have them and use them for my RC flying...They are a sort of yellow brown colour...They brighten up a dull day while darkening a bright day...I am not sure how polorized glasses would affect our RC use...The polorized glasses made it harder to see the instruments and it cut down on the glare when comming down on the water making it harder to judge your hight from the water... So Although pilots have told not to use polorized glasses us RC pilots should be able to get away with using them... I see no need for glasses that cost hundreds of dollars...Find a pair of wrap arounds that fit nice and try them outside in the sun and if they seem okay they probaly are...A motorcycle shop often has a nice selection...Oh and one other thing , I have shied away from glasses with glass lenses unless they are saftey glass..I hate the I dea of one shattering and a shard getting in my eye...I have a buddy who has only one eye..He lost one when he was a young man when a little rock shot out from under a tire and hit his glass lens and a piece got in his eye...