RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Help!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/875670-help.html)

RSprinkel 06-18-2003 10:39 PM

Help!!!!

Hi All,

I am kinda faced with alittle problem here and need someones help. I am trying to figure out a way to secure a piece of Monokote striping down the top portion of a painted Fiberglass Cowl. Should I just tack it down with some kind of glue and then spray Polyurathane on it or what?

THANKS very much in advance :confused:

Stick Jammer 06-18-2003 10:43 PM

Help!!!!

You can use an iron with a sock set on LOW. Just try it on a scrap piece first if you have one. I have applied MonoKote to painted surfaces but you can't leave the iron in one spot too long or it will start to melt the paint.

RSprinkel 06-18-2003 11:12 PM

Help!!!!

Originally posted by Stick Jammer
You can use an iron with a sock set on LOW. Just try it on a scrap piece first if you have one. I have applied MonoKote to painted surfaces but you can't leave the iron in one spot too long or it will start to melt the paint.
Ok sounds good. Guess it doesn't matter the type of paint does it? I used Krylon primer and paint. 2 coats primer and 3 coats white paint.

Thanks,

DBCherry 06-19-2003 01:13 AM

Help!!!!

Wet the surface with Windex and press the stripe into place. Heat won't even be necessary if this is just a thin strip of Monokote. (Never tried it personally, but have read about many others doing this.)
Dennis-

RSprinkel 06-19-2003 10:24 PM

Help!!!!

Originally posted by DBCherry
Wet the surface with Windex and press the stripe into place. Heat won't even be necessary if this is just a thin strip of Monokote. (Never tried it personally, but have read about many others doing this.)
Dennis-

Thanks for the info DBCherry. The strip is probably going to be around 2 inches wide, but hey will give this a shot to see if it will hold. If not will try other means. Man this is gonna be tricky. LOL.

:)

DBCherry 06-20-2003 01:11 AM

Help!!!!

Good luck. As I said, I haven't tried this, but a few others here swear by it.
I WILL be trying it soon, so let me know how you make out!
Dennis-

RSprinkel 06-23-2003 01:37 AM

Help!!!!

Originally posted by DBCherry
Good luck. As I said, I haven't tried this, but a few others here swear by it.
I WILL be trying it soon, so let me know how you make out!
Dennis-

Dennis,

*** UPDATE ***

Well I tried the windex trick and it seemed to work. Am using a 2 1/2" wide x 8" long piece on monokote and it worked great. However getting the small wrinkles & air pocket folds out around the edges is the tricky part. I took a piece of balsa to smooth them out as to not scratch the paint and took quite awhile to get them out. Another problem area is getting it down in the front part of the cowl to where it looks like it ran underneath. Is a real pain to do especially trying to get out all the wrinkles and folds.

Would take a pic but my digital is broke so cannot post pics for awhile.

Let me know how you make out with yours

:)