RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/8882265-how-does-your-wife-deal-your-rc-airplane-hobby.html)

stryder 06-27-2009 12:39 PM

RE: How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

You guy' are sooo lucky. wifey doesn't understand why a grown man wants to play with airplanes.
And you know what they say... "when mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"
George

hairy46 06-27-2009 12:41 PM

Wow that is sad, Your wife wanting to break your airplanes! Honestly I would much rather be alone then put up with that for more then five seconds! There are some wonderful women that do understand but you and I did not seem to find one! I am very happy alone working on my planes. I was up half the night last night working on a spitfire no nagging at all just me my dog at my feet a little 70's music just nice! Today been out getting things done my own honey do list and when done will be working on the spit! Sorry you are going through that. I got lucky years ago my wife told me she did not want to be a wife or a mother anymore and left me and my four daughters the youngest just barely 5 weeks old. It was the best day of my life outside my children being born! she was a a very mean woman, I like coffee perked on the stove and she threw a pot of boiling hot coffee on me, I still have the scars from it! I never knew what I was comming home too! She was very hateful! She missed out on raising the girls and now the grandkids! I am a very lucky man and her being all about her died at age 33 of a drug overdose! I remarried and she did not like my daughters, she loved them at first but slaped my daughter in the face once and we was gone! I will always put my kids over anyone or thing! Anyway you need to get away from that kind of woman she just is not worth it! Been in your shoes! Bob

remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission!

andrew66 06-27-2009 12:47 PM

This has been a fun read for me. The first GF that i was with while in the hobby, hated everything to do with it, and basically drowned me in debt (that i had to pay off when i gave her the boot) That put me out of the hobby for a while, but when i was starting to get into it, i had a short relation with a really cool girl. She kinda laughed and called me a dork, but she was just bugging me. She was a dork too. And accepted me for the things i enjoy. Unfortunately for me, a rich guy that does drugs and treats her like crap was more attractive, than a student working on his commercial pilots license, so i got the boot. The girl i have now, was supportive in the beginning, but the true colors are showing. she is getting more and more restrictive. Now its to the point where i have to sneak out (we dont live together) and fly, and just tell her im studying or something. I dont think that she realizes that it not looking to good for her right now, if she want to stay with me. I used to take her out and have a balance, but not once she started craking down on my hobby. It seems like all things "airplane" are restricted. And with us doing the long distance thing once training is done, if it doesnt change fast, it will come to an end.
My brother taught me that life is short. It can come to an end at any time without warning. Live life to its fullest. And enjoy as much of it as possible. When i look back, i have alot of regrets about some of the choices i have made.

hairy46 06-27-2009 01:03 PM

As for the young man, you have plenty of time to find the right lady, do not get in a hurry! I blame myself because I did not take the time to pick the right woman to be the mother of my children and they are who paid for it! I did my best raising them by myself but they missed out on the mothering! When you are much older watch how she treats her family Mom Dad siblings even the family pet! If she is not nice to them then she will when the honeymoons over not be nice to you! If its all about her get away from that one she is not good for you! If she says negitive things about your hobbies she is not right for you! If she is the right one and do not mind your hobbies then be very suportive in hers also! make sure she the right one to mother your kids! My kids are the best thing that ever happen an I do thank God for them! Bob

Want to keep from crashing? Take off and land higher!

hairy46 06-27-2009 01:10 PM

Yes life is a gift! I found the meaning a long time ago! live it enjoy it, because it is gift and we only get one shot at it, I love life and am good at it! Bob

Remember it is easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission!

pache11 06-27-2009 01:26 PM

Wow, after reading all these posts I have to say I am blessed with a really great wife. We were married two years ago, went on a fishing charter on lake michigan in door county on our honeymoon. She likes to fly my trainers and is afraid of crashing them. I say we can always replace them with another if they crash and she says ok. She is working toward soloing and am building a couple of planes for her. God is good!!!

HughBrown 06-27-2009 01:26 PM

When I started dating after my divorce, I decided I would only marry a woman who has a hobby she was as intense about as I did. With my first wife every trip to the field was a running fight. My present (and last) wife is as nuts about scrapbooking as I am about airplanes. I don't have to argue about going to the field, lhs or anything but I also know I wont complian about her going to michaels, and all the other srcapbooking places. Problem solved.

housedad 06-27-2009 05:02 PM

Every time that I say that I am going to go work on planes or guns, she suddenly has 12 to 15 more urgent, must be done right now, things for the honey do list.

I'm sunk!!

Sentry4 06-27-2009 05:10 PM

My wife hates it. She complains every single time I want to do anything related to it. I still do, I love it. I hear grief every time I come home. I have a feeling she will eventually take this away from from me by giving me some ultimatum/manipulation. I will just enjoy it while it lasts..................[&o]I bet someday she smashes an airplane and we fight, who knows.

cooperd 06-27-2009 05:39 PM

My wife flys nitro and electric helis right with me. She can fly planks, nitro or electric but only enjoys the helis. Never fusses about money spent. I'm 69 shes, 67. Married 37 years. We've shared many different interrests over the years from owning and flying full scale airplanes(Grumman Lynx) to shooting high powered handguns and rifles.

You ought to see the expression on some of the young fellas faces when the little old lady lifts off and hovers her Raptor 30 or my Raptor 50 at the heli field.

From listening to other club members talk about their wives I realize how really lucky I am.

lawnhawk 06-27-2009 05:50 PM

My wife sleeps with the vendors to get me better deals on products. There is just no substitute for a loving wife!

rcflyer52 06-27-2009 06:32 PM

Some times she gets testy if I spend so much time at events or building that I let the house projects back up.

But so far this year she has ok'd,
JR 9303 2.4 radio
KMP Bf-109 wtih Saito 150
Great planes Super Stearman
Wild Hare Ultimate bipe.

I guess she is ok with my hobby.

dicknadine 06-27-2009 06:39 PM

So, sounds like it's a ONE WAY TRIP in your house. how often do your congratulate her on her acomplishments, even like keeping the kitchen clean and all the dirty cloth's in the basket. forgot ALL those good meals that she puts in front of you. it's a Super 2 way street. dick

Wingspam 06-27-2009 08:07 PM

My first 2 years into the hobby was great, my wife got togather with a few friends I fly with and met them at the hobby store and was asking what I might like. After all was said and done she had just spent a little over 700.00 bucks. A few days later on my birthday, she asked me to grab something from the garage and to my suprise, there was a brand new plane fully assembled and ready to fly. I was in heaven, my wife had just bought me a plane and my buddies built it for me.

Now fast forward to year 5 in the hobby and no matter how many times I say man I sure would like a gift certificate, or a certain part for a plane she refuses to have anything to do with it..
Example:
For my birthday this past year I had printed out several pictures of the next plane I wanted, I even put the same picture as my screen saver with the caption "this would make a great present". Did I get it LOL no... What I got was an Ipod (already had 1) just this 1 had more memory. It sat on the kitchen counter until she asked me if I was going to open it(about 10 days later) I told her I had no need of it and wanted the receipt so I could take it back and get something I wanted, I was told she shredded the receipt and all the store would offer was store credit. I finally was able to sell the gift card ( store credit) and went to the hobby store and got what I wanted in the first place.

bipecraz 06-27-2009 08:15 PM

Yeah mines like alot of yall's..she's the first one loadin up the motorhome for JOE NALL. & she tells me I can load the airplane trailer if I don't screw it up....But she's the first one to find a good deal or a nice plane for sale, but she'll be the first one to hurt your feelings if you got a bunch of junk for a high price...SHE LOVES IT ALL, from my heli, to my giant scale it doesn't matter she's always ready to go to the field,,, alot of my buddys hate me & thats cool, because we love spending time together at the field, or pretty much anywhere but I think those of us who have wives that approve of our hobby are a rare breed ..I feel priveledged to one of them....sooo if your wife loves planes I say way to go but if your wife hates em... I SAY YOU NEED TO GET YOUR PRIORITYS RITE.& GET A NEW WIFE....LOL LOL....HAPPY FLYIN

TFF 06-27-2009 09:43 PM

I would think the kind of person who does not like hobbies misses the appreciation of things. They only see money added value not asthetic value. The happiness is not in spending the money to buy the plane; happiness in the use of the plane. Enjoyment of art, books, sports, music are active enjoyments, not injected data into a brain dead mind. Someone does not have to appreciate your hobby but they must appreciate that you have one or they are being selfish and self-absorbed.

tenacious101010 06-28-2009 02:44 AM

it would be very interesting to hear from more of the wives, good or bad...... Well, maybe not all of them....

DGUY 06-28-2009 04:36 AM

Yea I would like to hear more opinions from the female side. Just and explanation as to why they don't like the hobby. I can tell you there reasons will sound selfish unless the male in the relationship is totally obsessed with flying. We need a release, some type of getaway from it all. I know when I get to fly I have a stupid grin on my face and all the other situations in my life take a back seat for a few hours. I only get home for a couple of weeks every four months as I work in Iraq. While I was home I got in several trips to the field. I even got to go to Joe Nall and she went with me. We then headed on to Charleston for our anniversary and had a great time. She loves scrapbooking and I have helped her with that at times, usually when it involves something we did together. I love her dearly she is a great woman. I feel for you guys that have wives that don't understand and are self centered. I had one of those for awhile myself but she was basicly a liar and lied about everything. She almost put me in the poorhouse. Iknow my wife will probably never see these post but just in case she does, I love you Melissa and your the greatest. Keep the faith guys what was meant to be will be. Life is to short to put up with a lot of meaningless crap, we have to put up with enough of that as it is. Since we are the bread winners most of the time we have a lot of pressure on us during these trying times. So if flying is what gives you those few hours a week that you can get away from all the pressures of life more power to ya.:D
Derrick

my05monte 06-28-2009 06:23 AM

I know my wife would rather see me at the field than in a bar. Tha basement is my part of our house and that holds all my tools, gaming stuff, and rc planes. She also enjoys going with me to the air-shows in our area. She absolutely loves the detail a lot of people put into their planes and enjoys talking with other pilots. in my book, she's the best!!

SunShyne 06-28-2009 06:50 AM

my wife is an Air Force vet so playing with airplanes doesn't bother her. As long as my husband duties are fulfilled and the bills get paid on time she has no issues :D

jester_s1 06-28-2009 07:48 AM

It's a big sacrifice for the wives to watch us go do something that is only for us, to spend money on it when we could be doing something for or with them, and to devote time to it when we could be doing something around the house or something with them. My wife takes care of our daughter while I go flying, and she gets understandably testy when too many dollars and too much time goes to it. If I turn around and act like a jerk when she says something, I can see how she would start to hate the hobby.

pmerritt 06-28-2009 08:00 AM

Denny, trade her for a nice giant scale Cap or something. You'll be a lot happier. Either that or put all your stuff into a U Haul and you haul yourself and that hobby into a nice mobile home with a storage shed. That way you can sleep with the four strokers (hint hint) and she can waddle around in her nice pristine house all by herself. You'll both be tickled pink. OH YEH DON'T FORGET TO HAVE THAT NICE RETIREMENT CHECK FORWARDED TO YOUR NEW ADDRESS... THAT MIGHT HAVE SOME PROFOUND AFFECT ON HER ATTITUDE!!!

chashint 06-28-2009 08:54 AM

Wifey is pretty much onboard for the RC stuff.
However this weekend has been perfect flying weather and she is making me spend it with her because its our 10th wedding anniversary.
Oh the sacrifices we must make for our women :eek:
Since airplanes were not on the schedule, just for a treat, I took her out to look at high end AV receivers and speakers (that's quality time ... right ??) :)

Of course its a two way street, I support her activities too .... even though that sometimes means missing a flying weekend.
But you know if I had been out flying I would not have heard those fine Paradigm speakers or got to play with the Denon 4310ci receiver :D
I have it real good on the home front and I know it.
My condolences to all the guys that don't have the same situation.

RC11 06-28-2009 09:27 AM

Hi! I am rc11's wife and i spent all day at the field yesterday watching some pattern flyers practice. I have met some of the BEST people at the flying field. I truely enjoy flying and it can be a family thing if you think about it. My husband and my son have been competeing a couple of years now, its our family vacations. Most people go all over to see their children play football or baseball. Mine just happens to enjoy this sport. I do anything I can to encourage my husband and my son. I love flying!!!!!
MissCathie02

planebuilder66 06-28-2009 09:55 AM

All of my past GF's just tolerated it, my current GF/ sorta wife, is only mad because I spend alot of money an the hobby and won't stop to buy her a ring instead, I just tell I'm waiting for the right time to get one. But other than that, she really hasn't given me any greif over the hobby, she just recently came downstairs into my mancave and stared at the little GP extra set up and ready for covering and said " that looks awsome",.....I stopped and looked at her and just smiled. At last, she's seeing why I do this, it keeps me off the streets, she knows where I am, and at least I'm not out at the bar or my brothers house till all hours of the night. I work alot so she get's to see me about 4-5 hours a day, that's her only complaint that is constant, so every now and then, I have to skip the building and spend a day with her on the weekend. My only advise is to not try and hide anything from your lady, never hide what you bought, otherwise, they will be looking for something you got and didn't tell them. Whenever I get a new kit,(which lately has been about 1 a week), I have it delivered to the house while she's here. I put recipts from hobby shop visits on the bench in a pile and out in the open, last month I added them up and shocked myself, but she doesn't mind. The point is we all have our own hobbies, cars, boats, planes, R/C, sports,....you name it, it's what we do to enjoy life, just don't let it take ouve your life or ruin a relationship. I know that free time is very valuableand hard to come by, but sometimes just 1 hour in the shop is the difference between "I wish I could work on it" and a "I got something done feeling".