RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/8882265-how-does-your-wife-deal-your-rc-airplane-hobby.html)

tenacious101010 06-26-2009 06:22 AM

How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

How does your spouse handle your RC airplane hobby? Does she like it? hate it? or just resign herself that you are addicted? For quite a while I had been involved in full scale military aviation. After retiring from the USAF, I continued my aviation interest by restoring and working on aircraft fuselages, engines, bombsights, gunsights and many other projects. My wife finally got tired of her carport being filled with airplane fuselages and engines. I cleared it all out and now a minivan sits in the carport. She is much happier now that she doesnt look out and see airplanes.
I have scaled down and started into the RC airplane honbby the last few years. She handles it well, except when I put a giant scale plane in the living room ( MUSEUM ROOM), the room where no one sits, all things are feminine, and it is like a showroom. Funny, she has fixed that room up to her taste, nothing of mine is in there, yet she comes into my family room (the he man woman haters room) and that is where she watches TV, works on her projects and really takes over. Thats my Aviation room, the only room in the hoiuse I have pictures, propellers, planes, instrument panels, etc.
She tells me that she doesnt have any storage space, especially in the garage and that I have the garage, the shed and my shop all to myself, I told her that was not so, that I let her keep her wash machine and dryer in my garage. She wasnt impressed with that.
How do your ladys handle the hobby??????
Denny

Roby 06-26-2009 06:38 AM

RE: How does your wife deal with your RC airplane hobby?

My wife thinks it's a great hobby for many reasons and
has been very supportive .

1. If I'm home and doing airplane things she knows where I am
and I'm not in her way.
2. If I'm flying she knows where I am, what I'm doing and who I'm with.
3. It makes gift giving very easy.
4. The grandchildren also enjoy the hobby.

I could go on but you get the point.

Regards,
Roby

firstplaceaviator 06-26-2009 07:56 AM

How do your ladys handle the hobby??????
Denny, you and I have quite a bit in common. I own and operate a full scale maintenance shop. I own a Cherokee 140, and I live on a residential airpark. To top that off, I also have about a hundred R/C toys.:D

My wife and I lived happily married here for 9 years. About 5 years ago, she told me that I didn't spend enough time with her, that i was always playing with airplanes, R/C stuff, or out at the race track. I agreed with her, and made a conscious effort to spend more time with her. I cut way back on model aviation and full scale activities. She seemed happier, and I still got to play a couple times a week. Then, she told me that she needed more space in the house for her things. Ok, I moved most of my models to the upstairs room in my shop and gave her half of the basement. I sold my race truck and gave her half of the garage too. I wasn't racing anymore anyways. I bought her a new Mercedes to put in "her garage". That really made her happy. Four years have gone by without any serious arguments. Sunday, last week, she blew me away when she said she was not happy. She said that she thought I valued my toys more than I do her. The next thing she did, was gave me divorce papers and asked me to sign them.[X(] She moved in with her mom and has signed a years lease on a house. I do love her, and i want her to be happy. If she can't be happy with me and my toys, than I hope she can find happiness on her own terms. I'm not sure what she expected... For me to give up everything that I enjoy?

I hope she finds out that the grass is not greener on the other side, and decides to come back. But, she will have to once again accept that I am addicted to everything and anything to do with R/C and full scale aviation.;)

AIDS... Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome. Don't let it happen to you!
Doug

MinnFlyer 06-26-2009 08:03 AM

Denny, your household situation sounds a lot like mine. The way we solved it was to get a bigger house. She has the top two floors for all of her girly stuff (Girl World) and the basement is all mine (Man Land).

PS, I never clean manland and do lots of stinky stuff down there. Those two things seem to repel the feminine gender. :D

jbdismukes 06-26-2009 08:11 AM

Roby, how can that be? My wife doesn't have any sisters!!

Jack

TomCrump 06-26-2009 08:12 AM

My wife tolerates the hobby. She likes the fact that she knows where I am, and what I'm doing. She'd rather have me building and flying, than hanging out in bars.

I once had a 1/4 scale biplane displayed on our dining room table. It was there for a year ! It helps that she likes bipes.

In the Summer, I take over the whole garage, as my shop. She parks her new car outside to accomodate this. I also have two rooms in the house, at my disposal. They are decorated to my tastes, with no complaints from the Wife.

Life is good !

Stickbuilder 06-26-2009 08:21 AM

My lovely Bride not only tolerates my hobbies, but encourages them. She is the one that makes the Hotel reservations for us at Top Gun, and attends the event with me each day. She has her own Waco YMF, and it hangs in a place of honor in our home. She enjoys the Hot Rods, Hot boats, and full scale airplanes as well. I don't think I could have gotten any luckier than I did. She selects the photos that I include in my monthly column for the magazine too. Tom, she picked the photos of your plane for the mag.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

bkdavy 06-26-2009 08:27 AM

A young couple was planning to be married. As part of the preparation, they were attending some counseling sessions with the pastor. The young woman was very nervous about the upcoming service, and the preacher gave her some advice to calm her nerves.

"First", he said, "as you enter the chapel, all eyes will be on you. Don't try to look at everyone, just focus on the aisle so you don't trip. Second, as you reach the end of the aisle, focus on the altar. Finally, after you've reached the altar, the congregation will sing a hymn, so you can just relax for a few minutes."

When the wedding day arrived, the young bride was trying desperately to calm her nerves. As the service began and she entered, she could be heard by everyone in the church, repeating to herself - "Aisle-Altar-Hymn".

My Spouse of 25 years always starts to complain whenever she thinks my hobbies get in the way of her plans. Just like everything else in life, its a matter of finding the happy medium. Its not always easy. I try to get her to tell me far enough in advance if something important is coming up. Otherwise, I'm liable to make plans of my own. She has no interest in participating with me in flying RC planes, and I've told her that's her choice, but don't expect me to give it up just because you don't want to do it. Marriage is a bond of the heart, not the hip. It is possible to do things separately. But don't forget to do things together as well.

Brad

firstplaceaviator 06-26-2009 08:30 AM

Oh boy... Some of you guys are making me want to find a new wife. One that actually encourages her man. Apparently, they do exist!:D
Doug

MinnFlyer 06-26-2009 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

Some of you guys are making me want to find a new wife.
The best piece of advice I can give is - If you get rid of one, DON'T bother getting another! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/eek.gif

firstplaceaviator 06-26-2009 08:50 AM

The best piece of advice I can give is - If you get rid of one, DON'T bother getting another!
I'm so used to being taken care of, that I really don't want to go back to bachelorhood... I like the little things that women do for their men. On the other hand, it frees up time to finish my full scale Glasair, be an airport bum, and get back out to the flying field whenever I darn well please.... Oh, decisions decisions...[sm=confused.gif]

You may be right. Maybe I should just do whatever I want, and if a woman in MY element happens to take a liking to me, I will try it again. But, for now... It's ME TIME!:D
Doug

jetmech05 06-26-2009 08:54 AM

I go fly with my daughter (14) every Sat and Sun......she goes to the beach

WCB 06-26-2009 09:21 AM

I took a shower and put on clean clothes. As I was leaving the wife asked where I was going. I said "I have a date with my girlfriend." She said "You big liar, you're going to fly airplanes."

carlosponti 06-26-2009 09:43 AM

i got into RC before my wife came along so she really cant do a whole lot about it but she tolerates it alteast she knows where i am at and what i am doing. plus i add little touches to my airplanes to make her feel like i think of her when i and doing it. For instance i add penguin pilots to my foamies etc, she likes penguins.

mirwin 06-26-2009 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

The best piece of advice I can give is - If you get rid of one, DON'T bother getting another!
I'm so used to being taken care of, that I really don't want to go back to bachelorhood... I like the little things that women do for their men. On the other hand, it frees up time to finish my full scale Glasair, be an airport bum, and get back out to the flying field whenever I darn well please.... Oh, decisions decisions...[sm=confused.gif]

You may be right. Maybe I should just do whatever I want, and if a woman in MY element happens to take a liking to me, I will try it again. But, for now... It's ME TIME!:D
Doug

Doug,
Relax for a couple years, and see how bachelorhood treats you. I've learned that rushing your life ultimately leads to unhappiness. Just let things happen, and enjoy life.
I've been married twice and the 2nd time has worked well over the past 20 years. I think she would rather know where I am, what I'm doing and with whom I'm doing it.
I've been married a total of 39 years, so I understand your appreciation of "being taken care of." Who doesn't! But heck, man, you can rent a cook / housekeeper much cheaper than you can maintain a wife. So just enjoy the freedom. If the right lady appears some day, then go for it.

Kindest regards,
Mike

Steve Collins 06-26-2009 10:59 AM

My first wife despised anything I liked to do in my spare time, whether it was r/c related or just anything. What a relief when she split!

Then, while dating my future second wife, I made it clear that I thoroughly enjoy R/C, that I intend to get into it more and more, that I would never be irresponsible enough to not be able to pay bills because of it, that it occupies nearly all of my spare time, and that she needed to decide whether she can live with that right then and there or hit the road.

She bought me a Dave Platt ME-109 kit as a wedding present. Over the last 24 years, she has bought countless r/c items as birthday presents, anniversary presents or Christmas presents. Like many have already said, she appreciates the fact that in winter she knows I am at home in the basement, and during flying season, if not at home, I am flying something somewhere. I have overheard her tell that to other women who couldn't understand why she "LET" me play with airplanes. WTH do they get off thinking they are the only ones who have a say anyway!!!!

Another thing I made clear up front is not to schedule activities that include me without checking way in advance.

For all you fellow R/Cers that haven't married yet, you need to have the backbone to make sure the future missus has no illusions or let them walk! If you don't, then you are in for some misery of your own creation. For all the rest, I really feel your pain. Been there, done that, never again.

One thing that I have always done is take care of the finances myself. Huge, huge mistake to start married life with the new bride in charge of the finances. Avoid that situation like the plague. That starts more arguments than anything I can think of in a marriage. What has worked well for us is my wife keeps her paycheck as her spending money to spend anyway she wants, no questions asked. I take care of all the bills and other expenses and whatever is left over is mine to spend however I want, no questions asked.

I was not about to make the same mistake of having anyone around who thought they could rule over my leisure time activities. Life is far too short to have to put up with that.

tenacious101010 06-26-2009 11:56 AM

The responses to this question and the way women see this hobby is amazing. The full spectrum from wanting us to do it, all the way to, possibly sabatoging it. I have to admit, I did put my hobbys and interests first at times but at other times, its all about my family and friends. I suppose the tough part is finding the correct balance.
RC airplanes are like a dream for us, something we enjoy very much. We all have dreams and a big part of life is enjoying and making those dreams come true. This is part of who we are. Our spouses do need to know this. My motto for life is.... Live to Love and Laugh, anything else is rubbish.
I worked with inner city kids when I was stationed at Selfridge ANGB. One of the things we conveyed to the kids was a formula for life. D+A=R, which means, Dreams +Action= Reality. You can dream all you want but intill you take action they will remain only dreams. What our lives are about is mostly based on what things we were willing to put out effort for, how much effort we wanted to expend, and those things that we really didnt put out effort for. We for the most part are victims of ourselves, our lives are a reflection of us, we really cant blame others.

One of the many things I have learned is, life is about passion, passion for enjoying what life has to offer. Once the basics of survival are met, then its time to enjoy life. I dont want to just exist, I want to live. I dont want to watch TV and watch others live adventures, I want to live, see and experience them myself. This hobby is a great way to do that.
I am thinking I should have my wife read the posts here, I wonder if Dr Phil or Dr Ruth would think it a bad idea or a good idea?
Denny

carlosponti 06-26-2009 12:01 PM

this is kind of a funny thought but all other activities lead to cheating if you think about it. Golf for instance(i have seen this one) you go out golfing with your buddies then afterwards might go to the bar for a cocktail, which leads to some lonely gal looking around for something which then leads to something else. softball or baseball you win a game you have to go celebrate with the boys have a beer and same scenario. well airplanes you have a good day of flying you have to drive home to put them away and reflect on your flights. if you have a bad day flying you go home and start planning how to fix the bad day.

ps a caviet yes i know this logic could be applied to anything ha ha but i thought it was funny.

Roby 06-26-2009 12:03 PM

Jack, it sounds like you and I got lucky.

Roby

dragonov3 06-26-2009 12:29 PM

My wife doesnt always approve of my hobby/addiction, but she understands that I will not give it up. I have already given up my Harley and drive the hand me down vechicles while she gets the new one. Lets just say she tolerates it. The only thing I can say to someone getting married is to be sure your new wife shares the same interests as you do, otherwise there can be trouble down the road. If I were to get divorced, the next woman(which I seriously doubt I would get married again) would either support me in what I like to do or she can keep on keeping on. To be fair I try very hard to support my wifes hobby.

tenacious101010 06-26-2009 12:56 PM

Good point Dragonfly, it has to go both ways

RogerParrett 06-26-2009 01:01 PM

Wives ought to realize that R/C is a perfect hobby for husbands...First, there's generally no women at the field (no flames, I'm just referring to the places I fly). Second, there's NO alcohol allowed. And third, when it gets dark, its time to go home.

But hey, that's just me... lol

Ram-bro 06-26-2009 01:08 PM

all I can say is that I am Happy with one and Happier without the other.....:D, so I have no idea what you maried guys go thru

Gray Beard 06-26-2009 01:08 PM

My wife has pretty much always enjoyed all of the hobbies I have had over the years. We have been married for 32 years and been together for almost 40 so we both had no surprises when we did get married, we knew each other. As long as I don't go over board spending money she is good about most anything I want to do. Works two ways though. We dated a long time before we got married, I think that was ther key, no shocks at all.
My shop has always been unattached to the house so she doesn't get the stink and dust. Well, except for the first 9 years, then she did tend to get upset what I was sanding in the living room and using dope to put on the covering. When I was building sand rails in the garage at that house you could also smell the fumes of the solvents I was using for parts cleaning. I will admit that did smell pretty bad but we got through it.

mirwin 06-26-2009 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: dragonov3

My wife doesnt always approve of my hobby/addiction, but she understands that I will not give it up. I have already given up my Harley and drive the hand me down vechicles while she gets the new one. Lets just say she tolerates it. The only thing I can say to someone getting married is to be sure your new wife shares the same interests as you do, otherwise there can be trouble down the road. If I were to get divorced, the next woman(which I seriously doubt I would get married again) would either support me in what I like to do or she can keep on keeping on. To be fair I try very hard to support my wifes hobby.

I just remembered something Willy Nelson one said: "I spent nearly my whole fortune on whiskey and women. The rest of it, I wasted."

I don't think that mutual interests are all that important. Fact is, that could get kind of boring. I think what's more important is that neither the husband nor the wife be controlling or over-possessive. Maturity is critical too. My first wife (19 years) held me responsible for her happiness and that's a sure formula for misery.

Mike