RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Four quick questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/939218-four-quick-questions.html)

Aviation_Nut 07-09-2003 03:48 AM

Four quick questions

1st question, what is 3D?
2nd question, what is pattern?
3rd question... I was looking at the tower hobbies website and found a Futaba transmitter that comes with 4 servos, it was either a 5 or 6 channel transmitter. When you buy these, do they come with all the electronics or are there some more you need to buy seperately? (I have a 4-channel PT-20 mk II)
4th question, what are the most common frequencys? I think it comes on frequency 72, is that common? Or is there more to it?

David Cutler 07-09-2003 04:12 AM

Re: Four quick questions

Originally posted by Aviation_Nut
1st question, what is 3D?
2nd question, what is pattern?
3rd question... I was looking at the tower hobbies website and found a Futaba transmitter that comes with 4 servos, it was either a 5 or 6 channel transmitter. When you buy these, do they come with all the electronics or are there some more you need to buy seperately? (I have a 4-channel PT-20 mk II)
4th question, what are the most common frequencys? I think it comes on frequency 72, is that common? Or is there more to it?

Q1 - 3D is a term used by some people to describe aerobatics that are extreme, and result from over-engined over controlled aircraft flitting about the sky in amazing maneuvers. It' difficult to do, but can't be said to be very precise.

Q2 Pattern flying is, um, well, flying in patterns. A pattern aircraft is designed to fly aerobatics in a smooth, controlled way to earn points in a competition mainly on precision as opposed to wild maneuvers.

Q3 Radio systems come in a variety of numbers of channels. The most common for a fully controlled aircraft is 4 channels (elevator, rudder, ailerons, throttle) hence the 4 servos you get as standard, but, on some aircraft, there may be other things that need to be controlled like retracting landing gear, dual aileron servos etc etc. You have to buy the extra servos to use these extra channels.

Q4 72 MHz is a nominal frequency that has been designated for use on flying models and is actually a group of frequencies numbered from channel 11 to channel 60 near the 72 MHz frequency. Channel 51, for example, uses 72.818 MHz as it's base frequency.

Hope that helped, and welcome to a great hobby!

David C.

Geistware 07-09-2003 09:49 AM

Four quick questions

David's answers are right on. TO better clarify question one, 3D is the ability to fly a aircraft in the stalled state. In this condition, lift is generated more from the propeller than the wings.

FLYBOY 07-09-2003 01:51 PM

Four quick questions

As for you freq question, visit your local flying club and get a list of what everyone else is on. Get yourself a freq that noone else or very few others have so you don't have conflicts when you go to the field.

RCPAUL 07-09-2003 02:39 PM

Four quick questions

Also be aware that there are some frequencies that cannot be used in some areas. for example, CHs 20 and 21 are often not usable but there may be others. Ch 50 gets interference at one field near where I live. Again, check with the local folks.

RCPAUL

Aviation_Nut 07-09-2003 03:36 PM

Four quick questions

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I still have to find a field close to my house and then I'll check what is an uncommon frequency people use out there.