RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   What is this called & where can I get one? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/967548-what-called-where-can-i-get-one.html)

Synthetic 07-17-2003 08:19 PM

What is this called & where can I get one?

What are the airplane tail hold downs called that have a strap that is mounted to a metal bar that is driven into the ground and is looped around the tail of a plane to hold it in place while starting and running and where could I buy one? Thanks....

MHawker 07-17-2003 08:22 PM

I'm not sure where to buy them, but you could make your own fairly easy. In fact, you could probably use one of those dog leash things that screw into the ground.

dunk-RCU 07-17-2003 08:26 PM

Here is one rated for 150 lb dog should work

http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...uts&ct3=Stakes

Synthetic 07-17-2003 08:29 PM

What would work for the strap to go around the hor. stab?

Borzak 07-17-2003 08:39 PM

Wal-Mart and places like that sell the big augers that screw in the ground for dogs as well if you don't want to order one.

Synthetic 07-17-2003 08:43 PM

That's a good idea and I have a Wal Mart about two minutes away but what kind of strap could I use?

MHawker 07-17-2003 11:05 PM

Any type of rope will work. I'm sure Wally World has the same rope I bought from Home Depot. It looks like rock climbing rope. WAY overkill, but it's thick enough where it won't want to "cut" into the surface. I don't know what type of plane you are running, but you're probably not going to be generating more than 20 or 30lbs of thrust, so you could go with a fairly thin rope.

Get a carabeener (sp?) too. Those "D" ring looking things that rock climbers use. Wally World will have those too. This will make it easier to clip onto the dog thing.

Synthetic 07-17-2003 11:13 PM

Good ideas! I'm going to Wally World tomorrow to get the stuff!!!
Thanks.....

Greyhawk 07-18-2003 03:45 AM

I use a large screwdriver as a stake, and some climbing rope from REI, inc. (Recreational Equipment) www.Rei.com. The nylon rope is super strong and lightweight (get the small diameter i.e. 1/8th - 1/4"). Looks cool, too.

Dsegal 07-18-2003 11:36 AM

For a strap folks use rope, belts, bungees and bicycle inner tubes.

Dave Segal

crotts 07-18-2003 12:17 PM

I use a large screw driver and a nylon dog leash.

By the way, these retraints are required at our club. One of the best and simplest safety rules around in my opinion.

beardking 07-18-2003 01:06 PM

I just use an old dog leash. We have a chain link fence that seperates the pits from the flight line and I loop the leash over the tail and then put the clip end through the loop at the end of the leash and clip it to the fence. I've seen everything up to a huge Sukhoi hooked up this way with no problems.

Synthetic 07-18-2003 07:09 PM

I agree with the safety aspect and it probably should be a rule at every club. I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone walk away from their running airplanes with the ant. down and doing a range check and no body or anything holding the plane down. So far I have not seen one get away doing this but it will happen....I didn't think a dog leash would fit around the tail of sixty size planes and up but I guess I am wrong since you guys are using them. I will have to go to the pet section and check them out.....

Borzak 07-18-2003 08:33 PM

I've never seen anyone use one at our field. Between the pits and the field are starting areas with pipse driven into the ground every few feet with foam paddig. Park your plane between two of them and it won't go anywhere.