RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Macs Bolt-Through Muffler (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9882960-macs-bolt-through-muffler.html)

Sukhoi_Madness 07-23-2010 08:08 AM

Macs Bolt-Through Muffler

Hi,

I need a new muffler for my Super Tigre GS-45.

Macs do a bolt through which looks much better than the original and is the same price but I'm not sure if after exiting the engine head it will clear the fuse sides of my Mid Star. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZ653&P=0]Link[/link]

I've got about 3/4 of an inch from the head to the outside of the fuse.

Does anyone know what the distance between the flange on the exhaust and the inside of the pipe is?

I can't find a tech drawing on the Macs website.

Shaving some of the fuse at the exit is fine, but I don’t want to have to make a recess the length of the pipe.

http://www.macspro.com/images/mufflers_perspective.jpg

Thanks

Matt

JohnBuckner 07-23-2010 01:25 PM

RE: Macs Bolt-Through Muffler

You may want to talk to Dave at Performance Specialties up in Nevada. Although there are no more Ultra Thrust pipes to be had I think he still may do up some spacers. I got a pair of ultra thrust from him some time back and he set me up with some spacers that worked on GS forty five and YS 45 two stroke.

John

w8ye 07-23-2010 11:58 PM

I have several of these MAC's one piece mufflers and they stand out from the engine a good ways. I never had any problem with them on my models

proptop 07-24-2010 08:00 AM

I don't think you'll have a problem with it clearing the fuselage...but the end of the pipe might be pretty close to the L.E. of the wing on your Mid* (should still be OK though )

Sukhoi_Madness 07-24-2010 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I have several of these MAC's one piece mufflers and they stand out from the engine a good ways. I never had any problem with them on my models

Thanks for that, how do they perform for you? What's the noise level / durability like compared to a standard muffler?

Sukhoi_Madness 07-24-2010 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: proptop

I don't think you'll have a problem with it clearing the fuselage...but the end of the pipe might be pretty close to the L.E. of the wing on your Mid* (should still be OK though )
I checked this - I have about an inch to spare, assuming Towers figure of 6" long is correct.

Is't going to blow right onto the LE edge though so I'll have to clean both sides of the wing. [:'(]

Still, it's lighter and looks a lot better than the original ST muffler.

w8ye 07-24-2010 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Sukhoi_Madness

Thanks for that, how do they perform for you? What's the noise level / durability like compared to a standard muffler?
The MAC's one piece muffler is very light weight and about as trouble free as a muffler can be.

You will find that your engine has good fuel draw with this muffler and will start easy, be easy to adjust and stay running

However, your rpm will be down some 3 or 400 rpm compared with the original ST muffler depending on the prop used.

exnordel 07-24-2010 01:03 PM

The MAC's one piece muffler is very light weight and about as trouble free as a muffler can be.

You will find that your engine has good fuel draw with this muffler and will start easy, be easy to adjust and stay running

However, your rpm will be down some 3 or 400 rpm compared with the original ST muffler depending on the prop used.
I agree with the above comments, a very good well made attractive muffler with an acceptable noise level. I have one on a Super Tigre G45 ABC and it swings a 10 X 6 APC prop at 13.8K. I really have not had the need to see if it produces less RPM than the OEM ST muffler, because I like it so much better.

Vince

Sukhoi_Madness 07-24-2010 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: exnordel

I agree with the above comments, a very good well made attractive muffler with an acceptable noise level. I have one on a Super Tigre G45 ABC and it swings a 10 X 6 APC prop at 13.8K. I really have not had the need to see if it produces less RPM than the OEM ST muffler, because I like it so much better.

Vince

Comsider it ordered... It looks great and if it works well it's an easy choice.