RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   LT-40 Wing Inciddence (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9904617-lt-40-wing-inciddence.html)

RICMOD5634 08-01-2010 11:46 PM

LT-40 Wing Inciddence

LT-40 OS 65LA 12X6 MA Very slightly nose heavy. After Maiden flight we added 1/4 inch to the back of the wing saddle to lower the + inciddence. On second flight it was much better but at the end of the flight we still had added 85 clicks of down sub trim to get it to fly level, hands off at half throttle. If you'd add three clicks of throttle she'd climb like there was no tomorrow. So my ? is,
1. Seeing as how its a triner, leave as is?
2. Try adding another 1/8 to the wing saddle to lower the inciddence more?
3. Or would it be better to try and add some down trust to the engine. Say put a 1/16 thick washer under the top of both sides of the motor mount.
Can I get some thoughts on this please. Thanks
Rich F.

Rodney 08-02-2010 10:40 AM

RE: LT-40 Wing Inciddence

Sounds like you may have a thrust problem, to much up thrust or not enough down thrust. If you CG is where the kit suggested and the thrust line proper, the original set up for wing incidence worked very well.

exeter_acres 08-02-2010 12:46 PM

Every LT-40 I have seen, including mine, always flew with a bunch of down elevator trimmed in......

Top_Gunn 08-02-2010 04:06 PM

What exeter acres said. My club has had three of these as club trainers, and all three had a lot of down trim. You can play with the wing incidence and get rid of the need for this, but why bother? It's a terrific trainer in its normal state.

Lnewqban 08-02-2010 07:51 PM

Check this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...tm.htm#7544125

Charlie P. 08-02-2010 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: RICMOD5634

LT-40 OS 65LA 12X6 MA Very slightly nose heavy. After Maiden flight we added 1/4 inch to the back of the wing saddle to lower the + inciddence. On second flight it was much better but at the end of the flight we still had added 85 clicks of down sub trim to get it to fly level, hands off at half throttle. If you'd add three clicks of throttle she'd climb like there was no tomorrow. So my ? is,
1. Seeing as how its a triner, leave as is?
2. Try adding another 1/8 to the wing saddle to lower the inciddence more?
3. Or would it be better to try and add some down trust to the engine. Say put a 1/16 thick washer under the top of both sides of the motor mount.
Can I get some thoughts on this please. Thanks
Rich F.
Personally, I would have left the wing alone and added weight to the tail to get it on the specified C.G. and then shimmed out the motor for a bit more down thrust.

w8ye 08-02-2010 09:12 PM

I put a 1/4" shim under the back of the wing and my plane flew fine at cruise but I only have a OS 52 Surpass Four Stroke

If you put the throttle forward she would go up.

You need to try the down thrust

cfircav8r 08-02-2010 10:04 PM

If you trim for level at half throttle then throttle to full smoothly it should start a climb at about the same airspeed. If it pitches so steeply that it stalls or slows noticably then yes your incidence is too high or not enough down thrust. Set the plane so that the horizontal tail is level then check for down thrust from that level line. It should be between 3-5 deg's. if it is then reducing the incidence more should help. The trim should keep the plane at a constant airspeed no matter what the throttle setting, and start climbing with more power or descending with less power, but it can take some time to settle in if the throttle is moved too rapidly. Remember throttle controls altitude, pitch (trim) controls airspeed.

w8ye 08-02-2010 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

If you trim for level at half throttle then throttle to full smoothly it should start a climb at about the same airspeed. If it pitches so steeply that it stalls or slows noticably then yes your incidence is too high or not enough down thrust. Set the plane so that the horizontal tail is level then check for down thrust from that level line. It should be between 3-5 deg's. if it is then reducing the incidence more should help. The trim should keep the plane at a constant airspeed no matter what the throttle setting, and start climbing with more power or descending with less power, but it can take some time to settle in if the throttle is moved too rapidly. Remember throttle controls altitude, pitch (trim) controls airspeed.
I know this is the theory of how it should work but no LT-40 I ever flew worked this way and I've been flying them off and on for 12 years or so.

But using your setup, it would be very nice to have one that did fly the ideal way you describe.

The LT-40 has about +6 degrees of wing incidence in them and I think everything else is Zero?

Somewhere along the line of changing all the incidence angles, the attitude of the fuselage should be observed to have the fuselage level in flight. For with the original positive wing incidence the fuselage would be pointed down for the plane to fly level.

With a OS FP40, the original incidence settings were not bad at all but the bigger engines of today really brings out the problems?

RICMOD5634 08-03-2010 09:56 AM

Thanks guys for all the good information. I had left out that this was an ARF and I never checked the thrust angle, but that is what I will do and see where I am starting at. Don't get me wrong on this, I know its a trainer and it does fly great at half throttle. The climb at increased throttle would not be bad, if it wasn't so drastic even with smooth inputs. I'm trying to consider the student at the other end getting shook if he touches the trottle a bit. Will post the outcome of my trials. Might help someone else out.
Thanks Rich

cfircav8r 08-03-2010 06:19 PM

The reason for the design causing the drastic pitch up is it will pull out of a dive quickly if you just let go of the controls. Great for a true newbie, especially if they don't have good help, but not desirable for someone hoping to fly it long term. In other words it is great for initial instruction. The flat bottom airfoil and excessive incidence can be changed somewhat but the due to the overall design it will never fly well as a sport flyer.

RICMOD5634 08-03-2010 06:41 PM

AH YES Very good point you make. If you stop and think about it, it makes lots of sence. I guess thats what comes when you get old and fly a lot of different birds. You forget what it was like starting out.
Thanks Rich

w8ye 08-03-2010 06:48 PM

I've looked at other's LT-40's for years and unless the guy is a absolute newbie, the plane has a shim under the rear of the wing

RICMOD5634 08-10-2010 10:51 AM

Well after checking the thrust angle of the engine, Which by the way has plenty of down thrust. And seeing as how I have lowered the positive incidence of the wing by half of what it was. Have decided to leave well enough alone. It flies great at half throttle, so that is how it will stay. NO sence messing with a good thing, I guess.

Thanks for you thoughts;
Rich

w8ye 08-10-2010 11:09 AM

This has more or less been my experience also