RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Best fuel for inverted engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9913826-best-fuel-inverted-engines.html)

andrewskj 08-05-2010 07:36 PM

Best fuel for inverted engines

I have been flying a u can do for three years now and had soooo much problems keeping the engine running until I switched to power master 15 % it says it has 18 % oil I use full synthetic and my engine has run great for last three years now power master is out of business and I need to get another brand of fuel . Is there any fuel that comes close to power master synthetis 18 % oil . Most of the fuels don't even give you the oil amount. I am sure that was what made my engine run great . What a shame a great fuel company has gone out of business. Any help or suggestions as to the best replacement would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you ,
Ken

timcat26 08-05-2010 08:11 PM

RE: Best fuel for inverted engines

I use Cool Power 15% in my UCD 60 with an inverted Magnum 91 FS. It works well for me.

JohnBuckner 08-05-2010 08:27 PM

Andrew if what you were using before was the common Powermaster 15/18% blend that both Hobby People stores sold there then it was not all synthetic but of that 18% synthetic oil there was a small percentage of castor oil perhaps 1 to 3%. Can,t recall the exact amount.

John

Charlie P. 08-05-2010 08:49 PM

I burn S&W 15%N in my inverted glow and Hess 87 octane (w/10% ethanol like it or not) and a 40:1 Husqvarna LS and Marvel oil mix in my inverted gassers.

Switch to a hotter glow plug or one with an idle bar if your engine doesn't like to run inverted. It's probably not the oil, it's the ignition. The 15% nitro helps that.

Jetdesign 08-05-2010 09:05 PM

Lithium.

I just had to[&:]

Gray Beard 08-05-2010 09:15 PM

Hobby people switched to Wildcat and there 15% has 16% blended oil, 20% of the blend is Castor. I have been using it and it isn't bad, it even smells better then powermaster. If the 16% oil isn't something you trust you can add two ounces more of Castor but so far my engines seem to have the same old smile on there faces when I land.

jimmyjames213 08-06-2010 12:24 AM

I've had good luck with wildcat 10% nitro 18% oil.as well as 0% nitro 16% castor.

d_bodary 08-06-2010 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: andrewskj

I have been flying a u can do for three years now and had soooo much problems keeping the engine running until I switched to power master 15 % it says it has 18 % oil I use full synthetic and my engine has run great for last three years now power master is out of business and I need to get another brand of fuel . Is there any fuel that comes close to power master synthetis 18 % oil . Most of the fuels don't even give you the oil amount. I am sure that was what made my engine run great . What a shame a great fuel company has gone out of business. Any help or suggestions as to the best replacement would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you ,
Ken

Power Master is back in business again. As Texas Allied something or other.
As Far as 15% with a 18% full Synthetic oil package that would be there Mean and Green fuel. I have to agree it is a really good fuel.

Edwin 08-06-2010 08:29 AM

Dont know if its true yet, but I heard from a club member that Power Master has been bought and the fuel will be coming back. Hope its true, I only have 3 gallons left. There plant was about 30 miles from our field and the owners were club members for quite awhile. They donated a case regularly at club meetings to be given away through a numbered roll call. Great company with the old owners. The new ones had no business sense about them. I understand its all moving to San Antonio.
Edwin

d_bodary 08-06-2010 08:46 AM

Texas Allied Chemicals,Inc

scale only 4 me 08-06-2010 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.
Switch to a hotter glow plug or one with an idle bar if your engine doesn't like to run inverted. It's probably not the oil, it's the ignition. The 15% nitro helps that.
+1
it all about the plug being matched to the fuel and compression of the engine, not the just the fuel, this goes for any engine,, Not just Glow

w8ye 08-06-2010 10:44 AM

I have a UCD 60 with a Saito 125 and have always used Wildcat fuel in it

Gray Beard 08-06-2010 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I have a UCD 60 with a Saito 125 and have always used Wildcat fuel in it

I have only been using it for a couple of months. So far the only difference I have noticed was the smell and it doesn't seem to be as snotty at the end of the day. So far I'm very happy with it and keep my eyes open for sales so I can stock up. My engines haven't said a thing against it.;) It's getting burnt in one of my OS 1.20FS inverted engines so I guess it's a good replacement.

frenchie79 08-06-2010 02:03 PM

I use Wildcat 15% Nitro 18% oil. I use the Synth. for 4 stroke and what's called "Extra" (castor added)for 2 strokes. Actually I run both in 4 strokes with no problems inverted-never had problems running inverted engines with SIG fuel either. I believe it's all about tuning and fuel delivery setup-the engine don't really care IMHO

Gustof Wind 08-06-2010 03:32 PM

store your fuel jugs upside down, duh

fatboys124 08-06-2010 04:28 PM

Morgan cool power synthetic its all i will ever run EVER

FrankWilliams 08-06-2010 05:36 PM

Cool Power 15% has 17% fully synthetic lubricant.
http://www.morganfuel.com/cp_blends.htm

Omega 15% has 17% lubricant with a Castor Synthetic blend (30% castor, 70% synthetic).
http://www.morganfuel.com/omega_blends.htm

I typically use electrons and they don't care which way is "up".

-Frank

hyflyer9 08-06-2010 07:47 PM

I had a new Saito 1.00 two years ago in my new H9 spitfire mounted inverted I used cool power pro 20-20 fuel and it ran perfect from the first start up until now and is still running strong .
hyflyer9.

Gray Beard 08-06-2010 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: hyflyer9

I had a new Saito 1.00 two years ago in my new H9 spitfire mounted inverted I used cool power pro 20-20 fuel and it ran perfect from the first start up until now and is still running strong .
hyflyer9.
I thnk the point to all the answers is, as long as the engine is in proper tune it doesn't care all that much what brand of fuel you use. If you switch to 10% XXX and the engine starts running rough then tune it. Like Frenchie said, it's more about set up then fuel. I haven't seen any engine harmed by using store bought fuel and it all seems to run about the same, alcohol and nitro is all the same stuff, the oil blend can and is usually different but none of the blends seem to make a lot of difference in how the engine runs if you tune for it.

w8ye 08-06-2010 08:16 PM

With an inverted engine, tank height is very important to keep from flooding the engine

JollyPopper 08-07-2010 01:06 AM

what gustofwind said struck me as very funny, but I'm a bit strange anyway.

TimBle 08-08-2010 01:32 PM

can't see that a brand of fuel will  prevent an engine running inverted. If that were the case then we'd need to be carefull when flying an upright engine inverted.
tank location in  relation to the carb is important as well as engine tuning. Nothing more, nothing less.