RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Help Identifying make of Mustang and cub (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9924489-help-identifying-make-mustang-cub.html)

larscato 08-10-2010 03:57 PM

Help Identifying make of Mustang and cub

1 Attachment(s)
I swapped a rc boat in two planes today. Both planes are in mint condition. Never been flown, only build by an old man and have been hanging from his roof ever since. He sold it to une guy and I made the boat swappimg deal with him:) They are both 60 size models, the Mustang I think is an ARF and the cub a kit build. The mustang is a balsa model with a depron cover. (never seen this before) and the cub is a standard balsa build. Anyone know the make of these two? Could the cub be a golberg model? Would be nice to know the CG of at least the Mustang.

Lars

larscato 08-10-2010 04:10 PM

RE: Help Identifying make of Mustang and cub

1 Attachment(s)
two more of the cub

ChuckW 08-10-2010 04:40 PM

The Mustang looks like an older Great Planes ARF. This was one of the early ARF's that had the foam-like covering. It is no longer in production.

Not sure on the Cub. At first I thought it was a Goldberg anniversery edition kit but the ailerons are wrong for that I believe. There are a lot of cub ARF's and kits out there. Can you post some measurements?

larscato 08-10-2010 04:56 PM

the cub has a wingspan of 203cm. fuselage 126cm long. A buddy of mine thougt the Mustang was an EZ pilot ARF model? I for sure dont know

TLH101 08-10-2010 05:54 PM

Mustang is definitely a G/P ARF.

chevypower1930 08-10-2010 06:15 PM

Mustangs a badass looking plane... If your selling let me know! haha can't help ya with the make of the cub.. the P51 does looks like a great planes ARF, both beautiful planes congrats they should both be beautiful flyers

Tarasdad 08-10-2010 09:39 PM

The gear on the Cub is wrong for a Goldberg model as well. Would help to get a look at the interior and the underside of the wing.

w8ye 08-10-2010 11:24 PM

The Cub is a Hanger 9 ARF

80" Cub (old Style one piece wing) from the 90's 1/5 scale

It uses a 40 size engine for wheels and a 60 size for floats

I had a Saito 50 on mine

chevypower1930 08-10-2010 11:27 PM

can always count on you w8ye!

Good job

w8ye 08-10-2010 11:34 PM

The old Cub had wood beam mounts. the current one has a radial firewall mount and a two piece wing

larscato 08-11-2010 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
really? the Cub is an ARF? I would not have guessed that. It has some "not so very ARF" features like some strange overlapping in the covering, sanding dust inside the fuselage ect. It looks well built but it also looks home built:eek:

chevypower1930 08-11-2010 06:43 AM

It may still be (and probably is if w8ye says so!) An ARF. Like heo said its from the 80s so I'm sure its been though a lot, recovered im sure, maybe had some beefing up, etc.... I can't say for sure, but can't rule out as an arf from things overlapping covering... once again whatever it is its beautiful!

larscato 08-11-2010 06:55 AM

Ok thanx for all the input you guys:) According to the guy I got the planes from, none of them has ever been flown so Im looking forward to maiden them:)

chevypower1930 08-11-2010 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: larscato

Ok thanx for all the input you guys:) According to the guy I got the planes from, none of them has ever been flown so Im looking forward to maiden them:)
Oh yeah forgot about that! Idk about the overlapping covering then! the sanding dust is still possible ARF as I've had to sand some ARF's inside the fuselage to acommodate for things to fit, etc...

keep us updated on the maidens!

w8ye 08-11-2010 11:05 AM

This H9 Cub ARF is pretty old.

Today's ARF's are produced a lot differently than the ones made 15 or more years ago.

Those Hitec 300 servos are known to have troublesome feedback reference pots in them. the servos will go nuts and hunt.jump around for no reason.

w8ye 08-11-2010 11:08 AM

The H9 Cub would fly perfectly well with a OS LA-40 engine. If yours has a 60 size two stroke, you will find it well overpowered. You will have trouble as you will be trying to fly around at low throttle and the engine will be loading up and running terrible.

larscato 08-11-2010 12:26 PM

it has a 60 2 stroke with a home made pitts style muffler. Fired it up today and it makes a very wrong sound for this plane[>:] I have a 70 4 stroke laying around and I might mount that in the cub..

w8ye 08-11-2010 12:35 PM

The four stroke would be better for it will run at low throttle all day

iflyg450 08-11-2010 03:27 PM

The mustang could also be a OK models, I had one of the FW 190