RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   nose up test (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9938547-nose-up-test.html)

joco1 08-16-2010 08:14 PM

nose up test

When you do the nose up test,and it runs fine when you raise the nose but it dies when you point the nose down ,what does that mean?

d_bodary 08-16-2010 08:46 PM

RE: nose up test

A: You flooded it
B: You uncovered the clunk

joco1 08-16-2010 09:02 PM

thanks!

joco1 08-17-2010 07:09 PM

The plane im flying is a omp profile with a 55ax installed on it ,tonight when i was flying i did a few loops and a few rolls and then it just didnt sound right so i landed and could see alot of bubbles in my fuel line! What causes this and where do i need to start to fix it?

huck1199 08-17-2010 07:21 PM

Fuel is foaming or air leak in fuel line.

rlipsett 08-18-2010 08:05 AM

fuel line air leak might also be inside the tank. Best solution is to replumb the tank with new lines inside and out it is only about a dollars worth of tubing. make sure you have foam under the tank but not compressed hard and rigid

SeamusG 08-18-2010 09:55 AM

Hey glow experts out there. What is the goal of doing a full throttle nose up test at the starting bench? What are you looking (or hearing) for? How long do ya hold it up?

TFF 08-18-2010 10:12 AM

You are listening for the engine leaning out. With most standard fuel set ups, when you hold the nose up the engine will lean out. What you want is the max safe lean condition with the nose up and the engine running good in straight and level position. So if your plane is known to lean out a bunch, you really want to set the mixture with the nose up.

Chad Veich 08-18-2010 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Hey glow experts out there. What is the goal of doing a full throttle nose up test at the starting bench? What are you looking (or hearing) for? How long do ya hold it up?

The goal is to determine if the engine is too lean. When you hold the nose up the engine will lean out slightly due to the fact that the engine is having to work harder to draw fuel due to gravity. If the needle setting is too lean the engine will lose RPM (sag) or quit completely when the nose is held up. Ideally the needle should be set just slightly rich when the airplane is level so that it gains a few RPM when held vertical. You should only have to hold it vertical (at full throttle) for a 5-10 seconds to figure out all you need to know. That's my .02 cents anyway.

SeamusG 08-18-2010 10:37 AM

Gotcha - a friend (2nd plane newbie) at the field held his 4Star40 w/ OS 55 AX up at full throttle (13K rpm). He held it up for 5 - 10 seconds. No change in rpm. Following the posts I'm going to recommend that he richen the high speed needle a click or 2 then retest.

Thx for the input.

ARUP 08-18-2010 11:36 AM

Also, when the airplane's prop 'unloads' while flying the mixture will lean out a little. You definitely want the mixture slightly rich in level attitude.