RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Airplane Storage Method Pros and Cons (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9939740-airplane-storage-method-pros-cons.html)

shaggy48 08-17-2010 10:21 AM

Airplane Storage Method Pros and Cons

1 Attachment(s)
OK I know it's a little early to be worrying about winter storage but a recent picture of how someone else keeps their planes got me thinking about another post I read that said it was better to store your planes nose down -supposedly to keep the bearings lubricated. Don't know if there's a good, better, best and definate no - no, when it comes to how you store your plane(s). I made some brackets to fit the landing gear of each plane I own and store them vertically on my garage wall(s). This way I can put them up in one piece (wings included), and take them down by grabbing the rear of the fuse. I can also charge my batteries while the planes are out of the way, still on the wall. But I'm curious, other than making sure that all the fuel is gone after each flight (the mufflers will drip a little old fuel) should I be concerned about storage this way? Or would it be better to store them horizontally, using the ceiling as some people do? What does the RCU experts think? Here are a few pics of my entire hangar (garage walls) to date. Also says something about my flying progression since getting back into the hobby. IF you're curious, I went from the estarter foamie to the trainer, to the yak and then the escapade. Still enjoy flying each one but the escapade has become my favorite flyer. But thats another thread.

Shaggy

MinnFlyer 08-17-2010 10:32 AM

RE: Airplane Storage Method Pros and Cons

Works for me.

But if you want to hang them nose-down, just drill two, 1/2" holes in those boards, stick a 1/2" dowel in each hole with a piece of foam pipe insulation over them. Then hang them by their tails (That's how my planes spend the long Minnesota winters)

shaggy48 08-17-2010 12:55 PM

What works for you? Storing like I do?

TimBle 08-18-2010 08:28 AM

I store them nose up to keep the back bearing in the engine in the oil.

It does not makea big difference whether its nose up or down or level really. Just personal preference

MinnFlyer 08-18-2010 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: shaggy48

What works for you? Storing like I do?
Yup

da Rock 08-18-2010 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBle

It does not makea big difference whether its nose up or down or level really. Just personal preference

Unfortunately, the back bearing in the engine is basically in the front part of the engine.

If you're going to fly the model sooner than later, it really doesn't matter which way. Back when I had lots of wall space, my models were alternated (and a couple were hung from the ceiling). Was there any difference? any problems? yes....

For models that didn't get flown for long periods of time, the nose down ones would gum the engines. Not badly, but it's worth mentioning. And the ones hung from the ceiling got more dust on 'em. Again, not a biggie.

Lifer 08-18-2010 09:10 AM

The key is geting them off the ground. Fewer mishaps that way.

shaggy48 08-18-2010 06:31 PM

Sounds like its not how you store them but how long

Thanks

AA5BY 08-18-2010 06:45 PM

Well it made a difference on a Goldberg Anniversary Cub. Storing it nose down allowed the very slight leak in the tank plug to leak a little fuel into the firewall after each flying session and over a long period the firewall simply got so weak that it cratered one day. There was not enough leakage to drip any place but it required a new fire wall. After the rebuild, it was inverted along with another plane that was hanging nose down.

mc15601 08-18-2010 07:45 PM

Don't store yours like I have... horizontally in a tree...or floating in a pondhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/drowning.gif...they don't like that!! :D

shaggy48 08-18-2010 08:36 PM

Now thats something to consider. The tank plug leaking over time.

basman 08-18-2010 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: mc15601

Don't store yours like I have... horizontally in a tree...or floating in a pond[img][/img]...they don't like that!! :D

CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madatme 12-03-2011 05:23 AM

what about the fuel tank. should some fuel be in the tank to keep the fuel lines from dry rot ? I have heard that the heli guys do this

SCOTT42 12-03-2011 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I personally have just a few planes, so storing these planes can be a challange at times, I have a airplane?computer room that I store most of my planes, and alot of the bigger ones hang from the celing of my hobby room. Ive got allmost enough room for one more wing rack and one more fuse rack in my airplane room, just got to sneek them in one at a time, just so my wife dont notice!

jester_s1 12-03-2011 08:00 AM

madatme - I don't see any benefit in storing planes with fuel in the tanks. If they'll be stored long enough for the condition of the lines to be a worry, the fuel will be bad when you go to fly and will have to be flushed out. Plus, you're just asking for leaks.

maukaonyx 12-03-2011 08:01 AM

I don't have many open walls for hanging planes, so I don't think about drainage towards the nose or tail. I worry about them draining onto the next plane below, haha. Also I hang a few from the ceiling with pullies and ropes to lower them. Big guys are on the ground around my car, which is bad but all I can do. I am running out of space and because of that have slowed my acquisition pace a little, lol. I can hang another couple new winter projects in the garage. Jon
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/DSCF0225.jpg

jp_boud 12-03-2011 08:28 AM

Scott and maukaonyx, you guys don't have a hobby, you have the same thing I have......AN ADDICTION!!!!!!!!  (ain't it wonderful) :D<font color="#000000"></font>

Gray Beard 12-03-2011 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: da Rock

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Unfortunately, the back bearing in the engine is basically in the front part of the engine.

If you're going to fly the model sooner than later, it really doesn't matter which way. Back when I had lots of wall space, my models were alternated (and a couple were hung from the ceiling). Was there any difference? any problems? yes....

For models that didn't get flown for long periods of time, the nose down ones would gum the engines. Not badly, but it's worth mentioning. And the ones hung from the ceiling got more dust on 'em. Again, not a biggie.
I noticed the same thing. I have never lived in a state with a non flying season so it wasn't a big deal. I try to store mine like Jon has his. Room for me is a problem so it keeps me from having gtoo many planes.

foodstick 12-03-2011 09:40 AM

I have also heard the argument that storing planes nose down could cause the fuel pickup line in the tank to deform .. and possibly cause an issue later ...

JohnBuckner 12-03-2011 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think over the years those of us who tend to stay in the hobby, addiction, sport tend to use all the storage methods: standing on nose. hanging by the tail, wing racks, fuselage racks, hanging fully assembled (iron rod in the pics is great for this) or simply sitting on a bed in a spare bedroom.

Nose up, nose down was never a consideration for me and I don,t seem to be any worse for wear having used both methods.

In my dungeon (shop) the airplanes handown in multiple levels to my head height sitting in my chair. (one of the photos showing a flying bud illustrates this). In the shop am I an airplane hoarder? Oh yes but unlike those hoarders on tv in my home I keep things very simple and sparten

The Hobby, Addiction, Sport and the ability to share it keeps me happy and alive.

John;)

dignlivn 12-03-2011 11:41 AM

John,

You have a museum of a nice collection :D

Bob

Gray Beard 12-03-2011 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: foodstick

I have also heard the argument that storing planes nose down could cause the fuel pickup line in the tank to deform .. and possibly cause an issue later ...
I have had that happen.

SCOTT42 12-03-2011 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: jp_boud

Scott and maukaonyx, you guys don't have a hobby, you have the same thing I have......AN ADDICTION!!!!!!!! (ain't it wonderful) :D<font color=''#000000''></font>
I would agree, but SHHH! dont let my wife hear that, Ive got her fooled to think most of its normal.

corch 12-03-2011 07:40 PM

Wow.....Your shop is better stocked than 2 of the 3 LHS in my town! That's awesome. Well organized and neat also...

JohnBuckner 12-03-2011 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: dignlivn

John,

You have a museum of a nice collection :D

Bob

Thanks Bob, Ya know actually the top three shelves of that middle unit about fifteen foot long I did turn into the Museum Shelves. Some stuff I have had going back to the fifties but then agine a lot more that seems to have arrived somewhere along the way.

I just enjoy staring at the stuff I guess and so do a lot of the fellows, now if I could just figure out how to keep them from banging their heads on my airplanes:D

John