RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   TwinStar Engines?? TT vs ST (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9971002-twinstar-engines-tt-vs-st.html)

scooterinvegas 08-31-2010 02:57 AM

TwinStar Engines?? TT vs ST

I found a P-38 with OS Long Stoke 61SF's, because this is my first twin, I want to bash on a cheaper twin first. I ordered a TwinStar and I want to ask your option on witch engines you guys would buy. I thinking Super Tigre G-35 or Thunder Tiger Pro-36. Whatcha guys think??

I have two OS 40LA's Im not using, too heavy??

airbusdrvr 08-31-2010 05:34 AM

RE: TwinStar Engines?? TT vs ST

I flew a twinstar at first with a pair of OS 20FPs and then later with OS 25 FPs. That is enough power so the 36 sized engines will be plenty. Your issue that will need to be addressed as you go to larger engines is more fuel related than CG. The CG could be corrected with weight in the tail if needed. But the the little space allowed for the fuel tanks restricts you to 4 oz or less. Otherwise, you have to get into multiple tanks, pumped fuel system, etc. to have enough fuel for the larger engines.

JohnBuckner 08-31-2010 06:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Since you already have the LA-40's they will do the job fine but since you are talking new ones also then there is only one choice for me in that Twinstar indeed in most of my multi's with 25 class engines I have gone to either the OS 25AX or the new 35AX. Both are superb and ideally suited for multi engine airplanes with ideling and throttling characteristics unmatched by others.

The AX's with the exception of the older 46 use a new type carb that is ideally suited to the needs of a multi. Here is one I just re-engined from 25FX to 35AX and was worth every extra dollar.

Which P-38 did you find?

John

airbusdrvr 08-31-2010 09:48 AM

One other thought. I doubt this idea needs to be discussed with the vast majority of builders, but I saw one person post his solution to the small fuel tank compartment on the TwinStar. Inorder to install a larger tank, he cut through the wing spar that runs on the aft side of the fuel compartment to install his larger tank. It doesn't take much imagination to realize what that did to the wing integrity.

Jetdesign 08-31-2010 11:43 AM

I have helped a lot of guys at my club tune their engines. Super Tigre engines seem more finicky to get running perfectly, although they are monsters when they are.

Since you need two engines to tune together, I would pick Thunder Tiger out of your choices.

I was going to say the AX line of OS engines is tough to beat, but depending on your flying preferences I'm not sure I'd suggest a pair of .35AX - I don't fly .20-.30 size planes, so a set of .35AX wouldn't do me much good once I'm "done flying" ;) the Twinstar. I personally wouldn't dump $300 worth of engines into the That plane. If they were bigger engines that could be used later, or if you think you'll have use for the .30's, I'd suggest otherwise.

JohnBuckner 08-31-2010 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Virtually everyone who contemplates doing a Multi (I say multi because I am talking about twins, triples, Quads and sixers) will at first start buy digging through their crap drawers and trying to match two whatevers or using some old unknown thing or buying a new used one to match and hopeing to get them to run. Its even worse when they seek a false sense of security by going out and buying the very cheapest new engines they can possibly find turning a blind eye to watching people fight with these same engines and the well known problems with most.

Its this kind of convuluted thinking that is without a doubt the number one cause for the very high rate of failures for folks to realize the dream and enjoying their muti's. Thats a fact.

With multi's you can in fact scrimp on the airplane however never scrimp on the engines use only the known best and save the crap engines for your singles. Your chances for a really hugh smile at the end of each and every flight is almost assured. Boy did I find that out the long hard way.

I love those who poo poo using the best on multi's but then go out and sink in far more dollars on their singles, somehow I can,t help but think just how arrogant that is.

I own and regularly operate fourteen 25FX's and seven 25/35AX's All but three are on multi
engine airplanes to 95".

If you want to be one of those here today/gone tommorrow multi flyers then use the cheapies but if you want to realize the dream and joy then use the best ignoring those who choose to whine about the money while pouring it out in larger amounts for their singles.

Fact; I have never have had an engine out with the FX or AX's that was not deliberate via short tanking. But you can bet for years I suffered substancial engine out practice with the many cheapies I struggeled with.

Here is one of my treasures an 85 incher with 35AX's :

John