RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Hanging your planes....? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9974027-hanging-your-planes.html)

CGCINC 09-01-2010 11:46 AM

Hanging your planes....?

I'm wanting to make or buy something that will let my planes hang on the wall vertically by the wing or otherwise,and will spread the loadout across the wing.

Dothey make anything like that?

How do you guys store your planes? PICS?

MinnFlyer 09-01-2010 11:59 AM

RE: Hanging your planes....?

1 Attachment(s)
I drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in a 2x4 (about 6" apart) and screwed the 2x4 to the wall.

Then I cut several 1/2" dowels which I can stick into any hole and hang a plane by the wheels or tail - and I suppose you could hang it by the wing too.

If you want to, you could wrap the dowels with pieces of round foam insulation tubing.

CGCINC 09-01-2010 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in a 2x4 (about 6" apart) and screwed the 2x4 to the wall.

Then I cut several 1/2" dowels which I can stick into any hole and hang a plane by the wheels or tail - and I suppose you could hang it by the wing too.

If you want to, you could wrap the dowels with pieces of round foam insulation tubing.

PERFECT!!! Thanks for the help!
Much better than hanging by the wing too....

scooterinvegas 09-01-2010 01:12 PM

MinnFlyer is good like that :-)

cstevenpeterson 09-01-2010 01:55 PM

Hey Minn,

How do you store your TF 310 - same way? Just curious - mine's not together yet.....

Steve

Gray Beard 09-01-2010 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mikes way for Bipes, a lot better on them over time but in my case one bipe is retired and the other one will be real soon. The PVC for hanging didn't work out too well over the years but the steel pupes are just fine.

iflircaircraft 09-02-2010 04:45 PM

In my garage I just screw cup hooks spread 16" (studs) apart and use bungee cords either over the tail or over the gear to hang em.
This brings up another point of discussion. For years I've hung most of my planes with the nose down, however, lately I've been told to hang it nose high or not to hang it but store it level because nitro once burned becomes nitrous acid which will over time destroy bearings. What's the truth and can I handle the truth?

Tom

iflircaircraft 09-02-2010 04:49 PM

I hang mine with cup hooks spaced from stud to stud with a bungee cord . nose down or up depending on the plane. lately I've heard that storing a plane nose down is a bad thing to do.

Tom

SeamusG 09-02-2010 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: iflircaircraft

lately I've heard that storing a plane nose down is a bad thing to do.

Tom
Why so? That a fuel tank / fuel residue in engine thing? If you are gonna hang a plan for an extended time - pull the engine &battery?

Gray Beard 09-02-2010 07:13 PM

One of the reasons to run your engines dry at the end of the day is because there will always be oil left inside the engine but it removes most of the alcohol so you don't collect moisture but there is a film of oil. Hanging them like I do is OK for short durations and I fly all year round but over time all the oil gets into the front bearing where it may harden so it's not a good idea to store them for long periods of time this way. So the story goes, I have no facts to prove it but this is what I have been taught. Take my statement with a grain of salt, I really don't know.
The oil left in the fuel tank does seem to effect the bung over time. After two years of hanging, the little Aeromaster hanging on my wall was in fine shape after I did the repairs on it. First day at the field I was having problems with the fuel getting in and I couldn't get it out at the end of the day?? Got home and pulled the tank and the bung blew out when I was pressure testing it in the sink. Age or oil?? Both?? My bad no mater what for not checking it before the plane went back together.
Hanging them like I do by the tail feathers also adds weight to the back of the plane and you can get warps over time. By hanging them by the gear like Mike does is a much better way but I only have the two bipes left and my other planes get laid flat on my ceiling racks.

bostonba745 09-03-2010 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[img][/img]

This is the way I hang my planes, they are not in one peice but it's just the way it works best for me. All they are are L-shaped shelf hangers with foam pipe insulation on them. I have the same set up on another wall for the wings.

pdtroil 09-03-2010 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is how I do some of my planes.

lilhachet 09-08-2010 09:20 PM

go to home depot. or your local home inprovement center and buy some ladder brackets, and they will screw into your wall,studs. I hang mine overhead from the joists. I make my "hangers" from 1/2" plywood about 12" high and 16" long and cut out the wing section about 2 inches from bottom and cut into the ply about 10-14" what ever your wing side section looks like and then I screw them into the joists so the plane hangs about 1/2" from the joists., works great, I have ten planes hanging in my basement where I also build my planes, Good luck, Guy