RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Top Flite Smart Stripe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9986960-top-flite-smart-stripe.html)

Oberst 09-07-2010 06:41 PM

Top Flite Smart Stripe

1 Attachment(s)
The directions are terrible on exactly how my #11 blade is supposed to fit into the blade holder inset. I called Top Flite and the said they didn't have one on hand to help me out with it. If anyone has one, can one of you explain how the blade goes in it? Does the blade holder screw go through the hole on the back of the blade? I'm lost!

Pete

davidgeorge212 09-07-2010 06:56 PM

RE: Top Flite Smart Stripe

Yes, I have one and I think you do half to take out both of those thumb screws on the side. Then you half to pry the two plastic peices apart a little bit and stick the blade down in between them. There are some pins I think the blade fits into or on to. Then you just screw those two thumb screws back in to tighten the blade up from moving.

Oberst 09-07-2010 07:09 PM

I'm sorry, that description doesn't work for me - and the pictures are all different, so I can't tell how it goes together. There's a small nub/pin that snaps the two parts together, but if I put the blade on that and then close it with the screws, it's too long and doesn't stay still - the screws are too large to fit through the hole of the #11 blade.

I called the manufacturer and they were about as helpful as mammary glands on a bull, if you know what I mean.

Does someone have a picture of the blade assembly so I can see how it goes together? I'm a visual person, not a textual person.

NVM, I figured it out. The online manual had a better picture that I didn't see before that showed how the blasted thing goes in.

Nice directions... not.

big max 1935 09-07-2010 07:18 PM

The blade rests on the screws. The outer screw is on top of the blade & the inner is on the bottom . That help? Max H. :)

davidgeorge212 09-07-2010 07:25 PM

I havent used mine in a while so I was going off memory. It just seemed like, to me, this smart stripe tool wears the blade out to fast and it will start to wonder and make wavy stripes.

Oberst 09-07-2010 07:30 PM

I have more blades than I can count, so I'm not concerned about blade wear.

The manual stank, but I managed to figure it out - they really don't show how it goes in, and like I said, I'm visual, not textual - I have to see a picture of it in order for me to get it.

But I got it.

Oberst 09-08-2010 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: big max 1935

The blade rests on the screws. The outer screw is on top of the blade & the inner is on the bottom . That help? Max H. :)

That's how I have it, I thank you all very much for everyones attempt to help me out. I just tried it out by cutting a 1/2" stripe, WOW![X(] It came out perfect. If I cut this by hand it would have taken me 3x's as long to get it cut out by using a steel ruler. With the Smart Stripe I cut my strip in a few minutes.:D This is a very good investment for anyones hanger. JMHO

Pete

smithcreek 09-08-2010 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Oberst

That's how I have it, I thank you all very much for everyones attempt to help me out. I just tried it out by cutting a 1/2'' stripe, WOW![X(] It came out perfect. If I cut this by hand it would have taken me 3x's as long to get it cut out by using a steel ruler. With the Smart Stripe I cut my strip in a few minutes.:D This is a very good investment for anyones hanger. JMHO
I bought one a while back and when I opened the box I thought "what a cheap piece of crap" but after using it was sold. Chintzy little piece of junk or not, it does a great job.

WCB 09-08-2010 07:46 AM

The ones I've seen you spent more time changing blades and setting it up than you would have cutting them with a straight edge to begin with.

Hab 09-25-2010 05:37 PM

.....and the "pin" your talking about on it...goes threw the "slotted " portion of the blade....in order to be able too adjust the blade. Top screw is the stop
in which the blade rests against ( top side of the blade of course) to keep it from pushing out while cutting....bottom is the clamp portion
of the piece....as well as the top screw. (Blade does not go threw this one either)

Works great for me.....simple piece....but who's got the time to start fabbing one up, for the amount of striping jobs being done.

Think it cost me under $20 bucks for it.......20 min. to assemble. EASY....and cheap. N' it works.
{ hey there SmithCreek.....how's it going? Haven't been out to the field inna cupplah weeks....trying too
got other things going......been working on the "Chippy" though.}

Hab 09-25-2010 06:00 PM

The directions are terrible on exactly how my #11 blade is supposed to fit into the blade holder inset. I called Top Flite and the said they didn't have one on hand to help me out with it. If anyone has one, can one of you explain how the blade goes in it? Does the blade holder screw go through the hole on the back of the blade? I'm lost!

Pete
Blade goes between both crews.......one on top ....is the stop for the blade (top side of blade..of course) "Pin" your talking about goes
through the "slotted" hole portion of the blade. Screws are just the binding portion of the clamp. Neither screw goes threw the blade.

Yes....... as Smithcreek said......cheap piece.....but who's got the time to start "fabbing" up a simple item.
Think it cost me under $20......and 15 min. to assemble. Works for me. Quick 'n cheap........works great.

[Oh by the way.....what's happening there Smithcreek? Haven't had the time to make it out in the past cupplah weeks. M' I missing anything?
Been working on the "Chippy" ........yep.....almost. Fuse is done - covered ; decorated......just the wing to be covered. That's it......
and a few other odds and ends.....break-in the YS.....few tanks.... n' I'll be down with it. (Try to be anyway)

Gray Beard 09-25-2010 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some blades are a bit different too, here is how I set mine up, front screw is through the blade slot and then the blade is resting on that little pin behind it. Key to this machine is to make it tight!! Mine is very tight but I can cut 1/32 stripes and smaller without any problems. Bipeguy put me onto this machine a couple of years ago, I finally found one at a club auction for next to nothing and have gone nuts with it. You can even cut tape for paint masking. Very cool tool!! I do sharpen my blades with a stone and strop so they are a lot sharper then what you buy and they last forever!!

da Rock 09-25-2010 08:37 PM

I have more blades than I can count, so I'm not concerned about blade wear.

The manual stank, but I managed to figure it out - they really don't show how it goes in, and like I said, I'm visual, not textual - I have to see a picture of it in order for me to get it.

But I got it.

Would you be so kind as to take a picture of what you wanted a picture of, and post it for others who aren't textual?

OH WAIT..... GRAYBEARD did everyone that favor.