RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9992389-what-would-you-do.html)

Lnewqban 09-10-2010 09:00 AM

What would you do?

What would you do?

Last evening, I was flying my plane, while three more planes were in the air.
I knew only two of the other pilots on the flying line, and I knew they were very good and safe.

Suddenly, somebody (unfamiliar voice) shouted: “Heads up!......I don’t have it!”

I was flying low at that moment, and my first reaction was to make my plane climb and gain some safe height before I looked around to spot the out of control plane.

Well, I am not sure that my decision was the best.

A few seconds later, the thing hit the ground on the pits area, about 15 feet from my flying station.
It was a Revolver that belonged to one of the pilots I did not know.
The fail-safe had turned the engine off; hence, I did not hear it coming down.

This question is the reason of my safety related post.
What do you think it would be the right thing to do?

1) Keep flying your plane and hope not to be in the path of the missile?

2) Forget about your plane, scan the sky for the missile, and:

A) If needed, move out of the way? (Note that this option leads to at least another airborne plane to be out of control: yours).

B) If not in danger, try to find your plane in the sky and retake control of it?

GarySS 09-10-2010 10:01 AM

RE: What would you do?

That is a REALLY tough question and dilemma. There is no good answer in my estimation. Crouch low, but keep your eye on your plane; throttled back and coasting in a safe direction. Even then you could be struck. Wear chainmail armor and a kevalor helmet? Would look funny. Keep your life and liability insurance up to date??

daveopam 09-10-2010 10:06 AM

I have been in that spot a couple times. 1st time I was looking the total oposite way and all I could de was fly and hope for the best. The other plane drove in about 10' away from me. The other time I was able to point mine up and look at the other plane. A few steps back put me in a good spot. Either way i was making sure my plane was safe before anything else. The odds of the stray plane hitting me were pretty slim.
This is why spotters should be used. I fly at a small club. It is rare to have 3-4 planes up at a time. When we have our fly in every Sept, a spotter is required. It does not have to be a club rule. When you go to the flight line, just ask a buddy to spot for you. Tell him in advance what you want him to do. I want him only to speak up when a plane is out of control. Some guys want to know where all the other planes are all the time. It's whatever makes you comfortable. You should be having a buddy help you start the plane anyway, so just get in the habit of having him spot for you.

David

Acs_guitars 09-10-2010 10:13 AM

If at a good altitude I would straighten out and do a quick look across the sky. When low to the ground, I would probably react similar to you. I make a habit of keeping track of other planes (as much as possible) so that I at least would know I am in the clear. It is also a good idea to fly with a spotter, who would tell you if you need to move out of the way. If it is a plane coming into the pits, luck or divine intervention can go along way, but having a spotter will decrease the odds of injury.

Charlie P. 09-10-2010 11:51 AM

Keep flying your plane. Otherwise there are TWO out of control missles.

If your own spotter yells "DUCK!"? Then you duck.

Lnewqban 09-10-2010 02:22 PM

Thank you for your responses; I believed I had taken the wrong decision, just out of instinct to save my plane.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

I understand the importance of one spotter; however, we fly airplanes and helis there at sunset of weekdays, may be 3~4 pilots of the ~100 in the club.

The retired members fly during the day, but the evening pilots go to the field after a working day, just trying to catch up the last day light.
Everyone arrives, gets ready and up in the air he goes for three or four flights, with brief refueling periods.

Normally, there are no spotters available in the evening.

In the future, I will wait until unfamiliar pilots land.

scale only 4 me 09-10-2010 02:36 PM

I had a similar experience

I was flying my extra 230 (old EZ ARF) and a beginner and his instructor start taxing out, I did my take a step back, gain a little altitude, and make sure he gets off the ground ok, I hear the motor rev up and look over and see it rolling right down the stripe, so I figure all is well and look back to my plane, all the sudden the engine is getting louder and when I look it's WOT, 30' away from me chest high and headed right for me,,, I drop to the ground, dropping my Tx, the plane crashes 10' directly behind me,, while laying on the ground I reach over and pick up my Tx and save my plane from crashing.

Close calls suck, But luckily my preliminary instinct to gain a little altitude saved my plane,, when I went to the ground, I could care less about anything but saving my skin

Charlie P. 09-10-2010 02:41 PM

That's always the case. There are some pilots I never give a second thought to. Others I steer clear of. But then, I'm sure I spook more than a few at our field. :D

"What are you doing! Your plane's upside down, you lunatic! Madness! Madness!"

rye 09-10-2010 08:49 PM

always have a spotter, me and my freind always spot for each other it save are butts more then 3 x ones almost had a out of control heilcopter take my head of my spotter pull me out of the way didnt loss the plane:D

blikseme300 09-10-2010 09:09 PM

Have a spotter with a bat. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

He can deflect any incoming plane or heli.

Accidents I can deal with. Allowing incompetant or inexperienced pilots to take to the air when others are already airborne is not on.

I used to be an instructor pilot, but moved away from all that because newbies wanted, no demanded, instant gratification. I now fly at a private airfield along with my friends only.

Bliksem

Gray Beard 09-10-2010 09:18 PM

????????????????????????????????? Things like this are happening a lot more all of a sudden where I fly but for the most part it's guys trying to take off or land. No real answer?

jester_s1 09-10-2010 09:55 PM

I'd say you did right. For full on safety's sake, you could have cut the throttle and ditched the plane in a safe direction before running for cover, but that's a tough thing to do when you don't even know where the errant plane is. The spotter is the best thing. My club always uses one on training night and usually when there are more than 3 pilots up. It's good piece of mind if nothing else because you know if the spotter isn't saying anything then everyone's ok.

SeamusG 09-11-2010 11:58 AM

Guess I'm lucky. Our club has 6 3-sided chain link fence enclosures (open to the back) with the top bar being about 4 ft. high. Plenty of room for 3 people side-by-side uncrowded. These have saved many from aborted take-offs, poor ground control and out of control flying.

Do your homework and cost out the pieces. At your next club meeting put a work proposal to improve the safety of your field. Maybe the AMA can provide some help.

vicman 09-11-2010 01:51 PM

I'm big on using a spotter and being one too.
My spotter/race caller/buddy and I were at a fly in where there were ususally 2-5 planes in the air all day. We heard a turbine spool up at the far end, not cool IMO to be rolling by pilots WAO. It's good form to get past the pilots before punching the gas. So this thing is winding up and my buddy calmly says he's not looking good, then a little less calmer says heads up and runs for it! Nice guy eh? Fortunately for me the jet hit a piece of rebar holding the little plastic snow fence and stopped short of hitting me.
I've also been hit by crash debris while in the pits a guy lost one that pounded the ground. Got a nasty bruise on my hip when the .61FX separated and bounced into me.

Lnewqban 09-11-2010 03:37 PM

Wow!
You really had close encounters!!

Again, thanks for sharing, guys.