Search
Notices

85" Yak STOCK LANDING GEAR HOLDING UP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:50 AM
chrome350
My Feedback: (66)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85" Yak STOCK LANDING GEAR HOLDING UP?

I have read some posts where the stock landing gear on the 85" starts to delaminate or break. I was wondering if most people are still using the stock gear and if not what gear have they used for a replacement?

Thanks,
Larry
Old 08-30-2006, 06:43 AM
Copper

Default RE: 85" Yak STOCK LANDING GEAR HOLDING UP?

I am still using the Stock gear with no problems. I haven't had a hard landing yet though. I have considered going to the Carbon Fiber gear the Troy Built Models sells, but haven't done it yet. So far I haven't had any problems with anything but the hatch attachment screws, but that was an easy fix.

Copper
Old 08-30-2006, 06:50 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Stock gear for me.. I tried CF gear... but they are only 1g lighter! (Yes, I weighed them both with the holes drilled (amazing how much just drilling the holes changed the weight) so it wasn't worth the weight savings because I found them to be too stiff..
I fly off of grass and the CF was so stiff that if you hit a hole or a bump, all the force went straight to the airframe and was breaking out the mounting area.....
Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 AM
shakes268

I put CF gear on mine before it was ever maidened. After about 15 flights I had gear mount damage due to it being too stiff. I fly off of asphalt. I repaired the damage and switched back to the stock gear. Since then, no problems. The gear and the mount area is holding up fine.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:52 PM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

I was the first to recieve the 85"er and get it in the air. I actually started the thread on it in the giant scale forum. I lost count of the number of flights but it is in the 100's and my gear held up very well but is starting to show signs of wear with the paint cracking on the underside of the gear. It could be from some hard harrier landings though. Overall the gear has held up good. Be careful going to stiffer gear as you might damage the fuse if you land hard. The stock gear flexes alot but that is good as it will absorb energy and not transfer it to the fuse as much. I would use the stock gear again if I bought another one.

Lee