Notices

73" yak quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 02:41 PM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73" yak quality

well the big brown airplane truck just showed up. just got done looking everything over and there is nothing wrong with this plane, this is the best ARF i've ever seen or touched(yes my finger prints are all over it now) the supplied hardware is great keeps a person from having to buy all the other stuff. Next step I'm still trying to make up my mind on a engine. really leaning towards the evoe26gt2 over the 1.6fx because of the distance to the tank from motor, do not want to have to run a pump/regulator and have problems. does anyone know what Q S ran for muffler/ prop combo? Did he or anyone else try this combo with different props/muffler set up? Also does Q S recomend using the supplied motor mount on the evoe 26? I will be using futaba 9151 on all the control surfaces with H9 3D xl alu control horns and 3004 for throttle and a pcm receiver.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM
scottiesoccer1
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: W.O.W. 73" yak

hey Ken, I did the build for QQ on the 73" gasser its actually my personal plane now. Its the one he used in the video on our website. We went with the stock muffer from evolution and an apc 18x6w prop which is a great combination. As far as the motor mount goes I think the stock one would work fine, but I went with the dubro aluminum soft mount. Not too expensive but you can definitely tell that it works when that gas motor is at a low idle. Also we have thought about the bolly 19x6 carbon fiber prop but we haven't tried it yet. And we have some prototype carbon tuned pipes that we are going to try so stay tuned and we will let you know how they work. And as far as the control horns go i would use the kevlar ones that are provided, they are simple and work great. and they are also made just for that plane and thats why they simplify things. But I think that the evo 26 is a great motor for this plane so i think you would enjoy it a lot. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Hey Scott,

Thanks very much for the help man.

Reza
Old 10-11-2006, 10:09 PM
rxfish

The 18-6 wood bolly is working well for 3-d. Also Horizon Hobby sales a round radial mount and standoffs that fit perfectly. My evo 26 is getting stronger with every gallon. If interested in tank size, a twelve ounce tank is good for 20 minutes.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:45 AM
ken graham
My Feedback: (10)

rxfish what size of stand offs did you use? I want to go with a wood prop it would be safer for hand starting I'm not about to hand start it with a APC prop I like the skin on my fingers. Also did you go with a different tank? I'm not sure if the tank cap is good for gas. maybe some one can answer that? And 1 more question; what size of batt did you use for the motor and where about did you place it in the air frame?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
rxfish

I believe the stand-offs are 20 mm. The fuel tank is a 12 oz rectangular Sullivan. I mounted the ignition battery on the inside right wall of motor box (2 plastic ties and a piece of foam). Ignition mounted on top of motor box with thin foam on top of double sided tape and velcro strap around whole motor box. I also added plastic strap for added security. I used ignition battery size of around 1000 milliamp NIMH. I have the older ignition that is using 4.8 volts. I think the new ignition is suppose to use 6 volts. Receiver battery is 2150 mamp NIMH. I mounted it where the receiver is suppose to go with velcro strap and foam. Receiver is mounted between rudder servo and receiver battery on small piece of balsa ca'd to bottom of fus. No dead sticks or issues of any sort with over 70 fifteen minute or longer flights and I really wring the plane out. Balance seems to be perfect. Total weight is around 11 and 3/4 lb without wheel pants or spinner. I usually put 5 flights per outing and have plenty of juice in batteries for more. Hope this helps...RXFISH
Old 10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Jason Arnold

G'day Scottie,

Bolly is about to release an 18 X 6 for 3D. Might be worth waiting for... Check out the Bolly website.

Cheers
Jason.