Notices

120" Yak questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 120" Yak questions

Thanks for sharing the video Mith. Quality of the video was awesome.

Reza
Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 AM
aussie_flyer

I have a Leesberg scheme Yak on its way.

I am planning on using my 3W 157 CSTS, anyone out there used a 3W 157 or 170 in this plane? What header drop has been used??
Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Rezagh

One of my friends in our club is using 157 twin spark. But he's using stock 3W mufflers I guess.

He is out on a trip but I will ask him to see if he knows. I don't know much about 3W not even sure if it was a 150 or 157 but definitely a twin spark!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
smokin
My Feedback: (33)

i would love one of these planes and will probably order one this week.. i have a 3w 170 cs and i would love to get away with using stock muffs for it. do you see any issue here? if the 150 is working on the greeves the 170's should be plenty on the stock set up eh?

thanks for the input gentlemen...

matt
Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Rezagh

Matt,

Should not be a problem at all.

Reza
Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Anyone running a zdz? I have a 160 super, the cans are 100mm and I think that that may pose a bit of a problem w/this plane.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

Well, I can't believe how fast this thing went together and with so few problems.

All I have to do is mount the RX batteried, RX, and Powerbox. I am waiting for all of this. Then figure out the C/G and program the radio. It should be good to go. Man, I wish I had all that stuff, I would have it done by tomorrw. SCHUCKS !!!!

Put together, the plane feels real solid and tight. That is good. I am impressed with how everything has gone and expect the flight when ready to go just as well. Hoping it is soon.

I will be using Li-ion batteries ans use a spnner, but a 5" I am not ready to go buy a 6" when the 5" looks good.

Now, I DO want to fly this thing.
Is the fitment of the components great, or did you have to do some massaging to get things to fit? Did the paint and covering lines, line up well? Has the plane held up good after some flying time or is it coming apart in places.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 PM
gdavisjr
My Feedback: (51)

Rezagh,

I have a similar question to one of the gentleman above as well. I'm looking at potentially purchasing one of the 120" yaks as well, but noticed that the cannister tunnel/mounts are built in. Which is great, but they are built around an 80mm cannister set. I'm looking to install a 3W 157 with standard pefa cannisters, which are 70mm's in diameter.

1) How easy would it be to modify and use these cans? The good news is that the mounts are larger instead of smaller.
2) What drop do you typically use for headers? Any idea with the 3W 157? Or would I have to go the custom route?

Lastly, I like the Kimball scheme, but absolutely love the Leesburg scheme. Do you if and/or when QQ will releas the Yak in that scheme again?

Thanks again!

Gerry Davis, Jr.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Rezagh

Hi Gerry,

The mounts get smaller as it goes towards the aft to fit the greeves that are 50mm in diameter. To answer your question you can make a mount yourself and just replace the existing mount but I also think you may be able to use thicker tubes and be able to use the current mount. I doubt this would impose a problem.

I am not sure on the header for 3W157. DA uses flex 70mm drop, I would think you will use same header if the bolt pattern of engine is the same which I think it is!

There won't be Les. scheme as far as I know.

Thank you,
Reza
Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark C

ORIGINAL: rc4flying

Well, I can't believe how fast this thing went together and with so few problems.

All I have to do is mount the RX batteried, RX, and Powerbox. I am waiting for all of this. Then figure out the C/G and program the radio. It should be good to go. Man, I wish I had all that stuff, I would have it done by tomorrw. SCHUCKS !!!!

Put together, the plane feels real solid and tight. That is good. I am impressed with how everything has gone and expect the flight when ready to go just as well. Hoping it is soon.

I will be using Li-ion batteries ans use a spnner, but a 5" I am not ready to go buy a 6" when the 5" looks good.

Now, I DO want to fly this thing.
Is the fitment of the components great, or did you have to do some massaging to get things to fit? Did the paint and covering lines, line up well? Has the plane held up good after some flying time or is it coming apart in places.
Mark C,
I was impressed with the plane and the fit of all the parts. I did change all the metric screw and blind nuts to 6-32 types because I had a couple metric blind nuts strip out too easily. But that was to make me feel better.
All the paint and stripping matched up pretty good. I was surprised. I had to very slightly modify the cowling to stop the cowling from overlapping the hatch per another flyers advice. Glad I did because I could see the problem that was going to happen once the plane started to fly. The problem was rubbing a hole in the hatch from a tight fit. After 100 flights, the planes was holding up very well Not any problems you don't see on any other airframe. Non to complain about or that hurt the plane in any way.

Due to why the planes was purchased, I sold the plane after the more then 100 flights. It was used as a test bed and not sold because of any problems. I was again, very pleased with the plane and it flew very well.