Community
Search
Notices

Losing canopy screw every flight on 102" ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Losing canopy screw every flight on 102" ??

Hi guys, I have maybe 100 flights on my 102" with DA 100 in the year I've owned it. Suddenly the right rear canopy screw is missing every flight. I'm going thru canopy screws and they're expensive! I've checked all the bolts on this thing and they are all tight. I'll start using locktight but it seems odd. Has anyone gone thru this? Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 09:26 PM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Losing canopy screw every flight on 102" ??

Try using bonded washers, they work great. No locktite needed, just tighten snug.

Lee
Old 12-18-2007, 07:25 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bonded washers are the way to go, i use them every place i need to keep screws from vibrating out.

rr
Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why use metal screws or bonded washers at all? I went to using nylon screws after reading a suggestion on the Wild Hare forum. Since making the switch I have not had a canopy screw loosen on any plane I fly. Others have had the same experience.

Simply knock out any blind nuts that are in place. Tap the hole from the removed blind nut to accept a nylon screw from 8-32 up to 1/4-20. The size is only dependant on what space you have available to work with. Harden the threads with thin ca glue and clean up the threads with the tap once more. You'll never need to replace another canopy screw, and the end appearance can be as good or better than a metal screw.