Notices

49 in. QQ YAK-54

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 49 in. QQ YAK-54

I am building a 49" E-power Yak and I will like to now if anyone out there have run into any problems installing the horizontal stab?

The instructions calls to glue the stab in place with thin CA. The problem is there are some "huge" gaps between the fuse sides holes and the stab. I mean these gaps are big. No way thin CA is going to close the gap, not even medium CA will work. I tried some medium CA in a small area and it just went right through the gap, messing up some of the covering in the process. I don't think even thick CA is going to create a good solid bond especially after the instructions tell you "not to remove" the covering around the gluing area.. This is the first time I see such building practices, seems something is not right on the instructions or just that this fuselage to stab fitting is extremely out of spec.

I don't know on what other folks have experienced with this model so far, but I am not getting a "warm fuzzy feeling" with the engineering and manufacturing quality of this model.

Any feedback will be very much appreciated.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 PM
octanehuffer

Default RE: 49 in. QQ YAK-54

The best thing you could do is cut the covering off the stab where the fuse would go and epoxy/Gorilla Glue it on. If you have built other ARF's, you should have done this method before.
Once you fly the plane, that warm fuzzy feeling will come back. I have built 3 of them now. Every one flies great.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: octanehuffer

The best thing you could do is cut the covering off the stab where the fuse would go and epoxy/Gorilla Glue it on. If you have built other ARF's, you should have done this method before.
Once you fly the plane, that warm fuzzy feeling will come back. I have built 3 of them now. Every one flies great.
Thank you for the feedback. I was contemplating that option, instead of Gorilla Glue I was thinking on using epoxy. I have some 1/64 Obechi that I was thinking on using to fill up the void in the gap.

I am glad to know this is a nice flying plane and so far I have only heard good things about it. It's a pity that Quique is breaking his partnership with Wayne and parts may be become harder to obtain. Hopefully he will come back with another product line in partnership with a large hobby distributing company (i.e. Horizon). I will hate to see his talent in model design go to waste.

Appreciate your help, thank you.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
mdanner

I just filled the gaps with balsa and used medium CA to attach. I did not remove the covering. I think the sheeting in that area is quite thin and could be damaged easily.

Worked out fine and the plane flies great.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: mdanner

I just filled the gaps with balsa and used medium CA to attach. I did not remove the covering. I think the sheeting in that area is quite thin and could be damaged easily.

Worked out fine and the plane flies great.

Mdanner, you are problably right about the sheeting being too thin. Although in my opinion the covering is not going to provide a good foundation for gluing. If it works for you so far I should not be that concerned anyhow. Thank you for the suggestion.