Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HobbyKing Paraglider Parafoil for RC Skydiver Questions

I purchased the HobbyKing parafoil which is 2.15 meters (85") which seems big I guess. It was cheap and I wasn't sure what to do with it, but am thinking about using it for an RC Skydiver.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14284

What size / scale diver do I need? How much weight? Does anybody make one that is ready to go? Am I nuts for trying to do this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HobbyKing Paraglider Parafoil for RC Skydiver Questions

I am far from being an expert in the manufacturing of rc skydivers. I use them but don't make them.
    Drop a line to Dave Naylor (Edge Pilot) at rcskydive.com and he can probably give you all the answers. He manufactures RC Skydivers. There is also has a lot of information in this forum.
    I have not even opened the HobbyKing parafoil that I bought from them. It will be used on a gondola I have had for years. My old chute was torn by the wind.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Robert_Ellis

I purchased the HobbyKing parafoil which is 2.15 meters (85'') which seems big I guess. It was cheap and I wasn't sure what to do with it, but am thinking about using it for an RC Skydiver.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14284

What size / scale diver do I need? How much weight? Does anybody make one that is ready to go? Am I nuts for trying to do this?

This is the wrong way to go about getting into R/C Skydiving. For this chute you would need a diver that weighs about 8 lbs, just a estimated guess. Also the angle of attack is critical with parachutes, you would have to restring it many times until you found the proper angle of attack that it would fly good at. Quite honestly if it were as easy as buying a $25.00 chute and converting it to R/C we would not spend 5 to 6 hours sewing ever chute we sell.

If you ask any guy in here that has a successful skydiver they will tell you they either bought it ready to go or spent hours and hours perfecting it so it would fly right. If they tell you the whole truth they will even tell you they spent a bunch of time hitting the ground with no chute at all.

don't want to be harsh, or discourage anybody from entering the hobby, but it really isn't as easy as some people think.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree to everthing Dave has said -Those of us that manufacture Divers and Chutes have many hours behind each one that is made
    and a lot of research and trial and error time andf still working to make small changes for the better

Good luck -Look hard at Daves advice,
    Owner of -rcskyjumper
    Chutes and jumpers and suport items

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK. Sound like sage advice. I've been flying rc for about 3 years and giant scale lately. But it seems the whole AoA is a critical issue and one that requires experience or experimentation. I think I will figure out something else to do with the canopy.

Thanks everyone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Take a weight,string it to the chute and pop it from a plane.
    I would like to know what will happen. Nobody has givven some feedback on that. In return others can also look and say, o its been done and...

Really, go for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Robert,
    I am also using the HobbyKing Parafoil as a skydiver chute. Please don't be intimidated by the nay sayers above. It does work. It's not ideal as it is not intended for a jumper. Here is what I did. I convereted a 12" GIJoe doll for the jumper. I can provide pictures if needed. Yes, the chute did not perform on the first drop as expected. As a parafoil it is setup for no forward glide. I had to move the jumper forward by stagering the static line length from front to rear, making the rear line the longest and evenly shorter as they moved to the front. I did this by cutting the stitching that holds the "D" ring webing straps together and re-sewing them stagered so that the webing loop reforms with the "D" rings off set by each "D" ring width. Now, when I let the chute hang from my hands and pull it up it moves forward with a new angle of attack. Before the mod it would not move in any direction.

As for the jumper, you must be ready to do a lot of modifications to the GIJoe. The equipment included a 2.4GH Futaba 7 channel receiver (you only need three channels but that's what I had), two 9 gram METAL GEAR servos, 4 loose sub AA NiMH batteries and a small switch. To make it simple gut the body and stuff all the electronics in the cavity so the arms are connected directly to the servo wheels.

Attach the chute to the top of the body and the control lines to his hands.

The release control is a open box large enough to hold the GIJoe and the folded chute. Use a third servo to release rubberband straps that hold the jumper in the box. Power the third servo from the jumper on the motor channel so that it unplugs when he is dropped.

This produces a static line jumper not a skydiver but it really is fun and different. You also need a plane large enough to hall it all up and a buddy willing to fly it for you. I use our club trainer, a Sr Kadet with a OS 40.
    I never met an airplane I couldn't crash.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skoda450 - That sounds awesome! I don't mind if it's a static jumper - was planning on doing that. Thanks for the tips. Can you post pics here for me? That would be really helpful. Also how much does your jumper weigh?

>>>Power the third servo from the jumper on the motor channel so that it unplugs when he is dropped.<<<< Can you explain what you mean here?

There is a guy with a 100cc Pilatus Porter in my club who uses it to tow gliders - that would be perfect. I could even use something larger than a GI Joe (Scale wise it might look better and the Porter can haul ANYTHING up - just got to find it - maybe even a female jumper doll would be great! I'll check out Toy's R Us for suitable candidates.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, Robert here are some pics. The entire jumper and drop box weighs about two pounds. The connection coming out of his back is connected to the motor (#3) channel on the receiver inside the body. It is connected to the servo in the drop box via a servo extension cable. So, when I push what would be full throttle it moves the servo to hold the rubber bands pulled across his body. When I pull low throttle it moves the servo back to release the rubber bands and drops the jumper. When he falls away from the box the servo connection comes apart and he is free to fall and the chute begins to open. It's hard to see but the rubber bands have a nylon bushing (really, half of a large control surface hinge) that allows the rubber band to easily slide off of the wire when retracted. This drop box is held to the drop plane under the wing with rubber bands over the wing from front to rear. So, any plane large enough to hold it can be used because it does not require any interface with the drop plane.
    I also took a picture of the mod to the static line lengths. I cut the sewing and re-stitched them in the staggered fashion seen in the picture.

Before you go any further, you need a radio that will allow you to mix the aileron and elevator to get elevons. This will drive his arms up and down together with elevator and opposite up and down with aileron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71903.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	1663420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs59543.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	1663421   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg93584.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	1663422   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dx66142.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	1663423  
    I never met an airplane I couldn't crash.