Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

3D Printing Skydiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:15 AM
RiaanLR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Printing Skydiver

I was thinking of doing a RC Skydiver by 3D printing it.
I am in search of some help because my abilities to draw in 3d are very, very limited. Almost zero. I want to make it an open project for every one to benefit from it.
I had a look at the little Juan witch is very simple to do. Basically one can just print the body plate but with all the extras that go on their. Later on work on something bigger like the SAM we used to do.
If a person could scan your face and then 3d print that and attach to diver.

I think here in SA their are people looking for something smaller and a lot cheaper. Something to take up with a 40 size electric trainer.

The chute on the other hand is still labor intensive. But will try to make it as simple as possible. Maybe a smaller version of the Coolboy.

Everything should be open to everybody. 3D printers are becoming very popular and are cheap enough so the printing is not that expensive.

Any ideas, thoughts are welcome.

Riaan
Old 05-05-2015, 06:41 PM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Riaan,

This has been on my want to do list for a couple of years now. I my price range is the $1,000 mark but still after reading lots of reviews haven't decided on one to buy yet.
I have been considering this one ROBO 3D R1. I'm not sure how the ABS or PLA material will hold up to the stress's.
Drone Rotor magazine had a article this month on a few different materials, such an nylon but it requires a metal hot end due to the higher temps needed for the nylon.
supposed to be a follow up article next month with carbon fiber material.
Good Luck.
Gary
Old 05-07-2015, 04:31 AM
RiaanLR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that ABS is quite strong. You can also use "infill" for the parts you make. So lets say the legs need to be stronger then you would up the infill. ABS also repairs great with CA glue. So should you crack or even break a part, just CA and your good unlike fibre glass that takes longer to repair.
I want to try with a lighter and smaller jumper first and do some drop test to see what happens.
You can also print parts to the exact specs so swapping them out would be fine.
Riaan