Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Skydiver with Static Line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 05:36 AM
fly103-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skydiver with Static Line?

Hi, As Wil put it, our goal is to build the sport of R/C Skydiving. Below is a few more of the guys making R/C Jumpers so check them out and if you have any questions feel free to ask and we will all try to help.

www.rcdropzone.com
www.rcskydiveusa.com
www.solomonrc.com
www.mindspring.com/~sanyo1
www.rcskydiving.com
Old 01-01-2005, 07:41 PM
wjones

Hello Underaged Pilot, This is a list of all the place you can go for info on rc skydiving

www.mindspring.com/~sanyo1
www.rcdropzone.com
www.rcskydiveusa.com
www.solomonrc.com
www.rcskydiving.com

Thx, Wil
rcdropzone.com
Old 01-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Lancair-RCU

. . . . . Deja vu

Albeit in a different order and nearly two months later.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:29 AM
spinbotz

I aim to put a reserve just in case. I've had nothing but rather bad luck with non openings or partial openings leading to twisted lines and hard d/d's into the ground, the hood of a truck, (no damage to the truck thankfully,) I need to know, does it take more than a minute for the chute to open? because tossing my diver has had nothing but D/D's...
Old 03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
GeeW

Hi Spinbotz
Opening should be very quick. My two take about 1 second for deployment, from once the pin comes out.
What I have suffered from is delayed pin pull due to the servo struggling with the load. This sometimes occured after a long free-fall. In the end I went from a 4 cell 700 Rx pack to a 5 cell 1200 Rx pack and upgraded the right hand (pin pulling) servo from a 3kg to a 5kg rating.The other technique I use is to hold the stick over (and trim if I am worried) and wait. DO NOT re-centre the stick and try again....
My first D/D was after 80 jumps, none since the mods were made.....yet

Best Regards

Gordon
Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 AM
spinbotz

*nods* I'll try your advice GeeW. Also, I am fashioning my own drop container which is transferable to most planes capable of carrying at least a lb and a half of payload. I am trying hard to make it so that by wiggling the skydiver's arms, he's released from the drop box with ease. *thus, the drop is controlled by the skydiver himself, not the pilot of the plane*
Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
GeeW

spinbotz
Controlling your own drop seems a smart idea to me. One of my (not so) regular drop plane pilots is a bit random (to put it nicely).....but there again it gives me plenty of exercise.
Mind you one of the other guys is also to be watched as he has been known to drop me from very low altitude over the middle of the field , just to see if I was paying attention.
Luckily I was, time under open canopy was not more than 2 seconds!
All fun though.
Regards

Gordon
Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM
JuanF

GeeW,
I haven't yet had one of my pilots drop my jumper to see if I was paying attention. But, I had have an unintentional drop once when the pilot was searching for the release switch and hit it accidently. I wound up have to walk about 300 yds to get my jumper. It sure was a surprise to see my jumper falling free of the aircraft. Hope you don't have to many surprise drops in the future.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:12 PM
wyldman
My Feedback: (1)

Spinbotz,

I tried a reserve chute but when I had a main chute failure and went to the reserve it just tangled with the main. so I went to the static line setup and have not a dirt dive since.

wyldman
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 PM
spinbotz

Hmmm.. so static line sounds like the best way to exit the plane then. I'll give it a shot then.
that sucks to hear about the reserve chute failing.. XC
Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
AlphaOrion

Default RE: Flying Streamer flags from R/C Skydivers

I was looking for previous posts I had regarding RC skydiving and stumbled upon these posts. I got MIKE from Paramax in Germany after a 6 month wait, and I was glad I purchased such a fine quality kit. It has flown perfectly with NO dirt dives whatsoever. It is a sturdy and reliable diver. The secret for 100% chute openings is this:

1. It has a metal "gate" where the pack's final flap metal loop is inserted, and where the servo pin passes perpendicularly to secure it firmly, but allowing immediate snag-free release. This is set up at rear of Mike's neck.
2. Rubber bands connected to legs exert opening force on this same flap.
3. The flap contains a 3" piece of ripstop that is furled around the drogue chute. Once the pin is released, the flap flips open, pulls the drogue chute and lets it out into the air stream.
4. The pack fabric allows for snag free operation.
5. The parachute fits tightly inside the bag, and it would seem like it wants to come loose.

After my initial march 2005 jumps, I tried installing a flag. I added a second pack which is packed first with the folded flag and a weight. Once packed, the loop and pin is inserted into the gate's FIRST opening. The servo pin is positioned so that it secures this portion ONLY. The chute is packed normally on top of this flag pack, and the second metal loop on the final flap pack is inserted on the SECOND gate. The servo pin is now allowed to travel through the second gate completely to keep everything secure.

The servo is basically mated to a knob rather than a switch. Rotating it 50% will make the servo pin travel just enough to release ONLY the parachute. Once the knob is rotated 100%, the pin is entirely removed from both gates, which will release the flag pack and unfurl the flag. I adjusted the knob in such a way that it HAS to be at 50% precisely for the parachute to open, and about 95 to 100% of its rotation to unfurl the flag. This ensures I don't accidentally over-rotate the knob and open the flag AND parachute simultaneously. It works fine every time.

The benefits of this are quite obvious: You free fall, rotate the knob 50% to open the parachute ONLY, and once the skydiver and parachute have stabilized, you are free to release the flag at any point during the flight down under open canopy. This allows for a WOW factor of unfurling the flag some moments before final touchdown to please the spectators

Will upload pictures of those jumps and the mechanisms soon.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
turkey hunter
My Feedback: (10)

All of my skydivers except one, Robbe Charly, is static line jumped! Line hooks to drop box and pulls pin in chute pack! Works great!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 PM
turkey hunter
My Feedback: (10)

Mr. Saddler, Are you coming to Winamac for the jet meet? If you do bring your divers and we'll do some skydiving! I have drop plane, so you won't need to bring one!
Old 12-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Beeler8

Does anyone have a manual or a video on how to hook up a static line for a skydiver?

Thanks,
Beeler
Old 12-29-2014, 09:39 PM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Beeler,
There are a few guys on here that use the static line.
I'm sure one of them will post some pics for you.
Personally I prefer the open on command.
The static line would prevent the accidental release of the chute while the diver is still hooked to the plane.
I had a close call with a chute being opened while still on the plane at the last Muncie Rally.
(had a malfunction with the release servo on the drop box and the skydiver pilot thought the diver was already off the plane), the diver came unhooked from the plane just in time to save the plane.
This also would not happen if we used the system that the Europeans use that turns the power on to the skydiver by means of a safety pin that is pulled as the diver falls from the plane, sort of like a static line, only it just turns on the power and the diver pilot still has control of when the chute opens.