Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

RC Skydivers in Virginia area

Old 03-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Huntster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Skydivers in Virginia area

I'm back (again) from another tour in the Persian Gulf area. Dave Naylor got me set up with a VERY high quality Jumper and I am iching to use my new jumper. I am cleaning out the garage whit weekend and I am on leave and want to go out and speak with other jumpers. Maybe even jump a little. I haven't been able to hook up the Jump rig yet to my 1/4 scale Cub. But it's coming.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RC Skydivers in Virginia area

It's good that you have returned safely from the Gulf. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Post a picture of your plane and jumper when you get a chance.

FBD.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:47 AM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you made it back to the states. Hope you can get hooked up with some fellow skydivers. not to many out there, but the numbers are growing. by the way, some of the pic's and video you sent me from the ship were awesome. Have fun
Old 03-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Huntster

Glad you like the Pix and Vids..... It's great to be back! I'll have pix posted soon of the jumper and drop plane.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Huntster

Pix of my set up. I built a rig that goes with the drop box that Dave Naylor sells and his stuff is VERY clean and well worth every dime.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Huntster

Bad News and Good news.......
1st the Bad news......."Super Dave", my little jumper dude. Doesn't pull the chute without the power switch being on..... [:@] My wife was the one at the controls......

Ok, Now the good news, Even though "Super Dave" was droped from about 500 feet and hit hard short grass and he actually lost his head, broke his legs AND both Arms too, he is hardening up right now. It appears that he is VERY repairable too. MAN did that drop HURT!!!! I felt bad for my wife cause she thought it was something that she did..... SHE did great, She kept her cool as Dave augered in!!! She wanted to scream but keep trying to get the chute to open.

Note to self......ALWAYS check the littles response to control inputs!!!! ALWAYS..... He droped like a champ!!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 07:57 AM
broodwa

Do not feel bad it happens, I have total of 145 jumps on my jumper and my first and only Dirt Dive was me also not switching on the diver

At least on cool thing I discovered, is my diver falls belly first all the way down!! Only broke a snap link on the arm and the head was loose. Made a nice impression in the ground.

Enjoy, Blue Skies
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17457.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	439200  
Old 04-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Huntster

Could it be the Death of a salesman......His NEW name is now Super Dave (Osborne)

This was his first drop and I failed to do a check of the arm movement before going up...... What was I thinking? I know better than this!!!!!

The good news is that Super Dave is TOTALY repairable for this time! a 500 Foot drop and then the sudden stop!
Old 04-29-2006, 03:53 AM
spinbotz

I had the opposite problem... only this is with a free flying penguin.. I dropped him from my kite plane at around 300 ft at a park.. and his typical round chute, *umbrella shaped in appearance* caught thermal and he took off into the wild blue yonder...>< never did see him again... *is now buying a custom canopy soon from Dave Naylor for my scratch built 12 inch tall skydiver.*
Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Huntster

Dave makes some good stuff! Top quality. I read some of the posts about the cost of the canopies and jumpers, BUT when you actually see the quality. you will understand why. It is perfect, like the full size canopies!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:32 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

I just stumbled across this thread...this is cool as hell...so how do they work..Im gathering there is actually a servo actuated chute release? Do you guys normally have them freefall for a while before you "pull". Seeing as how I am a real life skydiver, this is really cool.

Can you make them swoop?
Old 05-04-2006, 06:05 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there,

They work just like your full size chute does. They steer by pulling there arms down to pull on the steering lines. To pop the chute we have an extra servo so you can freefall as far as you want. (just like full size, you have to pop the chute with room to spare) As far as swooping, our chutes are more base jump style or general design. We do not have the small chutes that it would take to get that much speed up. Check out our website. The shopping cart has alot of information on what you get and what is needed to complete the skydivers..
Old 05-04-2006, 06:37 PM
wjones

ck out rcdropzone.com

thx, Wil
Old 05-04-2006, 09:10 PM
skydiver

Hey Wil,

How is the Skydiver Rally coming along? Not many posts about our hobby.

Paul
Old 05-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Huntster

Bdavison,
Edge Pilot said it straight. The chutes are RAM and they are deployed when you want, I was going to go for my "A" lisence but the wife didn't like the idea. I looked at dropzone.com on how to swoop and if I am not mistaken you pull down on the front risers and that flattens out your chute to the relative wind allowing you to skoot along REAL fast. I also know that the biggest trick is knowing when to level out and skim the earth and not slam into it. I am not sure how well that would work with these guys. There isn't much room after the 2 servos for each arm and the little one to deploy the chute.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:48 AM
skydiver

Some German RC jumpers are arranged to control the front risers using the same servo which releases the canopy. This servo has cables attached to the risers. This system is used mainly to control the drop in order to hit the mark in competition.

I have one and it's called a Steve made by Stefan Etzkorn from Boppard Germany.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:47 AM
spinbotz

Great news, got my lil guy's arms moving like a pro. now all I have to do is redo the pack system. *it won't work as is.. unfortunately.. XC* so I have to custom make a new pack to hold his rig. I am also putting on a reserve chute and a micro switch to switch the lil guy on. *will have a small LED to show that his rx system is indeed ON to prevent a free fall into terra firma..
Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 AM
spinbotz

*reserve will be operated by the aileron mode on the left side of the TX so in case his main *built by Dave Naylor *very high quality!!* fouls up or doesn't open, I can hit the reserve *basic umbrella round chute* and have him float down to safety. *instead of *streamering* into the ground.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 AM
hansie

In order too make you're rc skydiver swoop you need a whole lot of servo's to make it work.
i am planning on building a rc skydiver for that purpuse i just have a lot of problems finishing my drop plane(basicly i have no time to complete it)and noone else has a dropplane in my club.
How i am planning to build it:
-Make a really big skydiver(as big as possible,the bigger he is,the more place to put the extra servo's)
-to make you're canopy dive you basicly only need one servo on 1 front riser(in real skydiving most swoopers always take the last turn to the same side,in my case it whas right 270°)
-then you would need 2 servo's on the back risers,these are used to level out the canopy after the dive.You do not use the arms(brake)to level the chute cause this slows the canopy down and you do not want that,you would want to go as fast as possible for as long as possible!!!! Then when the canopy is finally losing speed and lift you would switch from riser to steering line(arms)control.

This is how i am planning to control it:

-one switch for deployment
-right stick for the arms,requires some programming on you're transmitter(up,down,left,right)
-left stick to do the same with the back risers
-since there are no sticks left i would use a switch on the right stick to control 1 front riser( if you want you can build in a servo on the other riser and control it with a switch on the left stick,then you can choose what side too turn to).

Further more you should build a small canopy so you get high wingloading and this basicly is the hard part.I have taken all the measurements from my stiletto135 before i sold my gear,this is not a high performance canopy but its faster then the general canopy (its slightly elleptical shaped too).I hope that will turn out to be a fast canopy (i hope i can find the notes because i have no idea where i left them)

Blue skies
by the way: I would love to see some more vids and pics of rc skydivers so if anyone has some......And Pieter ,great site you have!!!!!!!!