Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

B.A.S.E Jumping

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Paradrop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B.A.S.E Jumping

Please coul Either Dave Naylor or Sombody Give Me a Minimum Safe Altitude For an Opening of The Ultimate Skydiver As I wold like to attempt a B.A.S.E Jump With Mine Could You Please either give me a rough altitude or a time from the cord being pulled cheers

Alex
Old 06-17-2007, 10:26 AM
goldenknight1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: B.A.S.E Jumping

Paradrop: Dave is the guy to talk to since he is the one who designed the jumper and set him up for rc skydiving. Right now Dave is in somerset ky for a rc skydiving rally should be back home on monday.

BOB[8D]
fair winds and blue skies
Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the time the servo is activated until open canopy is only about 2 to 3 seconds. We do not use slider to slow down the opening of the canopy. We dropped a diver from a burning plane earlier this year and he was only about 50 feet, maybe 75 at the most, and his chute was deployed and under control before he touched down. I don't recommend doing this from 50 feet all the time, but in time of need it worked for us. I will add this was without a drouge chute attached, the chute mite even deploy faster with the use of one of our druoge chutes. Plus, depending on how you use the drouge chute you can slow your descent down before the chute opens.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 PM
cutaway

Remember - a base jump starts at 0mph, you go (mostly) straight down A powered exit imparts the plane's speed to a jumper, you fall in an arc gaining speed in the vertical, while bleeding speed horizontal.

This affects pilot chutes considerably. I know people who have done balloon jumps who remarked about how long it took to get enough speed for the pilot to be effective.

Keep in mind that an opening parachute sees the relative wind, which is zero at the start of a base jump.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Huntster

Also to note here as the jumper falls straight down the body will sheild the wind that is need to deploy the chute. on full size jumpers it's part of what causes bag locks where the chute stays in the container becasue the relative wind isn't strong enough. a quick roll to your side clears the "Dead" air behindyou and everything is ok. but our jumpers can't roll over.

If you give your jumper a slight toss then you should be good, just becareful of a straight drop.