Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Lift Meister

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM
goldenknight1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Meister

To any one with lift meister aircraft:
were your instructions book clear and readable and has anyone cut their ailerons to make flaps
would like to know if you have had any problems that might make it easeir for assembely of mine. having no problems with attaching drop boxes on mine but having problems with diahedrial brace assembaly.

goldenknight1
Old 04-14-2007, 02:44 PM
GaryV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lift Meister

Hi Bob,

Yes, the instructions they are pretty poor.
I printed them off of the website, and they were 100% better.
I was going to post a link to it here but now when you try to open the manual on the website it takes you back to the home page[:@]
On Wes' plane we sanded down the wooden dihedral brace and used the wooden one and the aluminum one together.
I don't know about anyone else, but on Wes' plane the blocks inside the wing, near the aileron servos that the strut's fasten to were only glued the the cap strips. we had to cut away the covering, reglue the block (also added a piece of 1/8" ply for support) and recover the hole. (Very poor design in my opinion)[>:] The Strut supports in the wing should have been pre drilled, so you could find them.
The one I have may go to the swapmeet, or I will probably build a new wing using wing tubes and take out the dihedral.

Gary
Old 04-14-2007, 03:08 PM
R/C Skydiver
My Feedback: (3)

Bob
Gary is right, the instructions aren't very good. I finally threw away the ca hinges supplied for the struts and controls. Used robart hinges for controls and flat thin copper for the strut hinges. The blocks for strut attachment in the wings are poorly attached--in fact one block came loose while flying and had one side of the strut flapping in the wind. I had to cut the covering to add an attachment block. Don't think a block was put in that area by the builder. The other three seem to be there and are ok----so far!.
As you can see from the photo, I also put bolts thru the strut and the copper hinge to make them more secure. I guess the Lift Meister is ok but I don't think I would buy another one---even at the relatively low price of $259. Look at the Airplane forum at ARF and type in Lift Meister and you will get a bunch of information on building it.
I was supposed to be at a flyin in Andersonville, Ga. today and drop jumpers in the demo but chickened out after looking at the "Tornado Watch" for our area and winds of 17+ at the jump site. I jumped at Macon, Ga last weekend with 15+ mph and landed in front of the announcer! They thought it was planned and a great jump. Actually the Mike had no forward speed after dropping the flag which made so much drag that all I could was hold it into the wind and let it go backwards with the wind. Lucky I didn't hit someones parked airplane in the pits!!! Enough of that kind of jumping---15mph is now my limit with the flag hanging below the Mike!!!.
I also had to add a landing gear rienforcement rod to keep the gear from spreading while on the ground. A lot of other mods are needed to carry three jumpers. Hope it stays in one piece for the Somerset rally. I have two other flyins to go and drop in the noon demo before Somerset.
Good luck in building the Lift Meister, Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63141.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	664088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25687.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	664089  
Old 04-14-2007, 05:18 PM
goldenknight1

ORIGINAL: GaryV

Hi Bob,

Yes, the instructions they are pretty poor.
I printed them off of the website, and they were 100% better.
I was going to post a link to it here but now when you try to open the manual on the website it takes you back to the home page[:@]
On Wes' plane we sanded down the wooden dihedral brace and used the wooden one and the aluminum one together.
I don't know about anyone else, but on Wes' plane the blocks inside the wing, near the aileron servos that the strut's fasten to were only glued the the cap strips. we had to cut away the covering, reglue the block (also added a piece of 1/8" ply for support) and recover the hole. (Very poor design in my opinion)[>:] The Strut supports in the wing should have been pre drilled, so you could find them.
The one I have may go to the swapmeet, or I will probably build a new wing using wing tubes and take out the dihedral.

Gary
GARY THANKS FOR THE COME BACK ON LM, when I opened box My first impression of the Kit WOW the tried reading instructions they were so dark I cuoldn,t make out the picture. I appreciate yor quick reply. BOB
Old 04-14-2007, 05:23 PM
goldenknight1

ORIGINAL: R/C Skydiver

Bob
Gary is right, the instructions aren't very good. I finally threw away the ca hinges supplied for the struts and controls. Used robart hinges for controls and flat thin copper for the strut hinges. The blocks for strut attachment in the wings are poorly attached--in fact one block came loose while flying and had one side of the strut flapping in the wind. I had to cut the covering to add an attachment block. Don't think a block was put in that area by the builder. The other three seem to be there and are ok----so far!.
As you can see from the photo, I also put bolts thru the strut and the copper hinge to make them more secure. I guess the Lift Meister is ok but I don't think I would buy another one---even at the relatively low price of $259. Look at the Airplane forum at ARF and type in Lift Meister and you will get a bunch of information on building it.
I was supposed to be at a flyin in Andersonville, Ga. today and drop jumpers in the demo but chickened out after looking at the "Tornado Watch" for our area and winds of 17+ at the jump site. I jumped at Macon, Ga last weekend with 15+ mph and landed in front of the announcer! They thought it was planned and a great jump. Actually the Mike had no forward speed after dropping the flag which made so much drag that all I could was hold it into the wind and let it go backwards with the wind. Lucky I didn't hit someones parked airplane in the pits!!! Enough of that kind of jumping---15mph is now my limit with the flag hanging below the Mike!!!.
I also had to add a landing gear rienforcement rod to keep the gear from spreading while on the ground. A lot of other mods are needed to carry three jumpers. Hope it stays in one piece for the Somerset rally. I have two other flyins to go and drop in the noon demo before Somerset.
Good luck in building the Lift Meister, Jim
Thanks for info between you and me I was going to buy the 12 telemaster but I do believe that anybody thinks about buying the LM I would say no.
BOB
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 PM
DiveBombDave

I haven't flown mine yet, but I am beginning to agree with GoldenKnight. My main gear block had no glue at the front, and only a tiny amount in the rear, so the first bump I hit it ripped the block clear from the plane. While epoxying this back, I wondered how/when I will discover any other "short gluing."

I cut my ailerons for flaps, I just tried to maximize my aileron throw to compensate for that loss in strip aileron surface area. Like Jim, I also used robarts pin hinges as well as CA hinges, and I opted for some fat bush style pneumatic tires. Other than that, she's bone stock.

Dave
Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 AM
goldenknight1

ORIGINAL: DiveBombDave

I haven't flown mine yet, but I am beginning to agree with GoldenKnight. My main gear block had no glue at the front, and only a tiny amount in the rear, so the first bump I hit it ripped the block clear from the plane. While epoxying this back, I wondered how/when I will discover any other "short gluing."

I cut my ailerons for flaps, I just tried to maximize my aileron throw to compensate for that loss in strip aileron surface area. Like Jim, I also used robarts pin hinges as well as CA hinges, and I opted for some fat bush style pneumatic tires. Other than that, she's bone stock.

Dave
Dave: I found the same problem with my landing gear, reglued it and went to the 5.50 dubro wheels. Did you have problems with your wings, finally got mine to go together like on Gary's had to sand deihederal braces a lot before they would fit, then when trying to install wings had to trim forward edge of cocpit area to get wings to mount right, also have made strut connectors out of lite metal all and all awful lot of work for a ARF
BOB
[:@][:@]
Old 04-22-2007, 05:03 PM
R/C Skydiver

Photo of Albany, Ga. Fly-In on 4-21. Dropped one mike with camera on helmet---more work to do! Dropped 3 Charlys from the Lift Meister and 2 Mikes from the Stinger at the noon demo.. All went well in spite of 14mph winds! There was another Lift Meister there rigged to drop 10 lbs of candy for kids. Worked great as it spread candy about 300ft on runway. This LM ripped the landing gear out on it's first test flight and had to be reinstalled with lots of epoxy. He will order wider gear and make other changes as well. Seems as though almost everyone has problems with the gear. I had epoxied all joints in the fuselage that I could reach so I didn't have gear problems---after I installed a 1/4" piano wire as reinforcement to the gear that is! Guess it was all worth it!!!

Name:	Rp42396.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	670012  
Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 PM
goldenknight1

Jim: Have found all the problems that you had and have corrected all of the items, here is what mine now loks like ready for maiden flight

Name:	Ur52018.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	671534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66119.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	671535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52882.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	671536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20394.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	671537  
Old 04-24-2007, 11:04 PM
R/C Skydiver

Bob.
God luck on your maiden flight. Hope all goes well. Did you make a one piece wing?
Jim
Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
goldenknight1

Bob.
God luck on your maiden flight. Hope all goes well. Did you make a one piece wing?
Jim
No Jim I have the two piece wing had a lot of problems with getting spar braces to fit
had to sand pieces and grind down the aluminum part also, it slides together real nice now. Also
took half inch triangle stock and made saddle on inside of fuselage so that wings do not set on the edge of the plane. Will let you know how it flys tomorrow.

blue skies and fair winds BOB
[8D]
Old 04-27-2007, 12:48 PM
goldenknight1

To anyone with lift meister plane has ony one ckecked CG on thier plane I refigured mine and came up with a CG at 5 5/8 inches from leading edge of wing it balances real good with jump boxes on it and initial maiden flight take off was smoth and landing was perfect. I believe the 6 1/2 inches is way to far back. Would like come back from any one who has checked thiers and found a difference.

BOB[8D][8D]
Old 04-27-2007, 01:40 PM
R/C Skydiver

Bob,
Mine is at 5 1/4 in and seems to be about right.

JIm
Old 04-27-2007, 03:50 PM
goldenknight1

Bob,
Mine is at 5 1/4 in and seems to be about right.

JIm
Jim thanks for the come back on my message, I figured cord, span and wing area and for me it came out twice at 5 5/8 inches. you and I must be right in the ball park. It rolled about 50 feet and lifted off nice and smooth, landing was a dream just a little up elevater to keep nice glide angle. See you at sommerset.

fair winds and blue skies
BOB
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
R/C Skydiver

Bob,
How much does yours weigh? Mine is 28 lbs w/o fuel---that's a bunch!
Jim
Old 04-27-2007, 10:38 PM
goldenknight1

[:@][:@] Jim mine weights in at 26 3/4 pounds, but I have a remington 38 swinging 20/6 prop and will fly tomorrow with a 18/6 prop, todays flight was smooth on take off and landing took a little up elevater to hold smooth glide. Took off at about 50 feet and did climb out real good 650 to 700 feet I am guessing but it took around two to three minutes will load two jumpers tomorrow and do take off and landings with jumpers. Will let you know tomorrow how things go.

BOB[8D][8D][8D]
Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 PM
goldenknight1

Jim:
here are some pictures of the lift Miester with all the neccesary pieces attached, it now wieghs 27 1/2 pounds unloaded. With two jumpers on board total wieght is 31 pounds. it takes about 4 mins to get up to 800 feet it doesn't struggle when climbing and it still has to have a little up elevator to hold good glide to touch down. Notice the way I hooked up tail wheel steering.

BOB

Name:	Fd92154.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	675717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36494.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	675718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87623.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	675719  
Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
R/C Skydiver

Looing good Bob! I like your tail wheel hook up---should work great. I have mine rigged for 3 jumpers and have loaded 2 mikes and 1 charly but didn't time the climbout to drop alt. Probably about the same as yours as I have a tuned pipe on mine for more rpm and to keep the exhaust off the jumper hanging in the center between the gear. Gets about 8000rpm with a 19x8 APC W prop. The climbout is much better with 3 Charlys because drag and weight is less than the Mikes. We should have a good comparison when we get to Somerset.

Jim
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
steve_molmer

All,
I see a lot of issues here dealing with the manual. if there is enough interest I will rewrite it with all the changes and mods I have found and post it back on the forum.
I will talk to the people at cedar hobbies first.

I have well over 12 of these planes that I have built just in the past 1 and 1/2, so I think I have a pretty good Handel on setting them up to work rite the first time.
For more help in building them look at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4552453/tm.htm
regards

Steve
Old 05-16-2007, 12:54 PM
R/C Skydiver

Steve,

An upgraded manual would be a great help. A lot of people have run into some of the same problems and some expert help would be much appreciated by all of us!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!

Jim
Old 05-16-2007, 03:47 PM
goldenknight1

Steve: It would be good if you can get some new instructions made up. I have been building planes for a long time and for a new bee it would make life a little easier for them. Sent e-mail to cedar hobbies about glue jionts and the strut blocks in the wings. have not recieved a reply back so I hope they took it in good faith to go and check it out. thanks for letting us know that someone out there cares about the quality of their product.

fair winds and blue skies
BOB[8D][8D]
Old 05-16-2007, 04:28 PM
John Sedovic

Well after reading everything there was to read I would say that I am not repeat am NOT going to purchase a Lift Miester. It seem's to me that if a plane that has that many problems in the beginning is a plane that is sure to end up in the 55 gal drum just outside the Pit area at Buder Park. The 55 gal drum would really be called the trash. So all I can say is thanks and I think I will wait or look around a bit. The planes I have right now are a bit on the old side Kadet Senior well beyond the 25year and a old time a few years younger.

Keep the wind in you face, and Blue Skies to All,
John
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 PM
nchouker

hi,
neil with cedar hobbies
we will do our best to explain more details into the lift meister manual,hope you all are enjoying this plane,please feel free to email us with any comments,questions,will be glad to help out.thanks again
[email protected]
Old 05-18-2007, 02:05 PM
goldenknight1

Jim: Well test flight was real good plane performs real well, only had one problem on third test flight plane floated up coming in over end of asphalt runway had a little up elevator and it balloned up about two feet and came down and It happened tore landing gear out of aircraft. Was fixed at the field and flying again in about a hour, jumpers leave the aircraft very cleanly and everything else works fine especialy the tail wheel no wobble or moving around on taxi or takeoff. Look forward to comparing things we have done on each lift meister.

fair winds blue skies keep the wind in your face

BOB [8D]
Old 05-18-2007, 06:45 PM
R/C Skydiver

Me too Bob! It will be quite a gathering. Sorry about your "incident"--mine does some balooning even at 28 lbs. I am seriously considering increasing the size of the rudder for more control on takeoff and in flight when carrying 3 jumpers. What do you think?
Steve, You should come up to Somerset, Ky to their skydiver rally and mess around with he rest of us, I have an extra jumper you can use if you can make it. Would love to see one of your Meisters!
Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.