Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My first JUMP!!!

Hi All
    Just wanted to say I know what it feels like. I had my first jump last weekend with a jumper I build myself. I used a chute from Fanie(alias Broodwa) in SA. I had to restring it first. My first jump was absulutely great with no problems. On the second however I somehow had a power failure and it ended in an dirt jump. With not to much damadge I manadge to get him ready again for this weekend. Hope for some less wind this weekend to be able to play around.
    I used a 60 size trainer with a OS 90 and there was more than enough power(said the pilot).

I now have to start on making my own chute and just hope this will work out well. We hope to get more people involved in this sport in SA.

Regards Riaan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: My first JUMP!!!

Riann:
    Glad you got your first jump in hope you can find someone who might have taken a picture or two so that I can get you in the archives. when you restrung the chute did you use the light kite line that you purchased? I have found that thicker line will create about a 8 percent drag. hope to hear more good news from you and fannie.

BOB [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes

That light kite line is very nice. Works easy. Will try and get fotos this weekend. Still have some question on stringing. Will make a drawing and post them later.

Thanks to all who help in this prosess of getting me in the air.

Riaan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

We were jumping for the whole day and did about 20+ jumps. We played around with the steering lines and still not what I want. The weight I think is also to lite. The jumper ways 650 grams. I will make lead bags to attached and then see how it goes.

From all the jumps there was only 3 with line twist and line over. Managde to get them lose before the ground. The day ended with a spiral and that was the worst landing. All and all a good day.

We did take some fotos and will put them on soon. I still don't have a jumpsuit, so please excuse the nacked truth.
    Riaan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

I added weight to get the jumper around 1kg and it made a big deffirence. Much better control.

What we did notice is that if the jumper is approaching the chute will go wider and smaller. Does anybody know what the cause might be.

We did about 15 jumps today with no problems.

Riaan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Riann:

This is boob in st. louis missouri, what do you mean that it gets wider, are you using the gitchell designed parachute for your drops. when aproaching you does it seem to look like it is getting wider and is the cute in a full forward glide when you notice this happening,
    and does it look like the chute is shrinking in size when it does this.

BOB[][]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good story RLR, any pictures so far? like to see how your naked skydiver look like

anyway I made one, including sewing the gitchelchute myself.. it still in testing phase.. made few successful jumps, few landings on trees and in ponds I guess I'll have to add more weight like you did.. less than 1 KG is not very manouverable

stories about my build here http://malaysia-rc.com/index.php?topic=1722.0 (but to see pics you got to register as member)

here are some pics from me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47564.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	968986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51239.jpg 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	968987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ag91415.jpg 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	968988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rl25540.jpg 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	968989  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a photo after he got a jumpsuit.

Since then I have perfected the chute for my use. Over 25 jumps with no problems. In strong winds I ad some weight and get him up to about 1kg.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf97953.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	969731  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your jumper sure look cute in the air.. and nice chute too

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nubli :
    Will post your jumper in archive web http//www.home.earthlink.net/~goldenkight1 you will see your jumper in there tomorrow.

Bob [8D]
    fair winds and blue skies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey RLR !!!

With the chute you have most of all the guys here in the state's are in the weight area of 2 3/4 to 3 us pounds , we have found that they will penatrate winds up to 10 miles per hour .

Bob[8D][8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have found that my one does not penatrate strong winds that well. In the stronger winds i way it up with led to 2.2 pounds.
    Ideal conditions with light winds I bring the weight down and is that a pleasure playing around. Take it up as high as we can see the plane to fly. I then get around 3:30 minutes of flight.

A firiend at the club also build one and I made him a chute. His jumper is about 2.5 pounds. Made two jumps today, but having steering problems. The arms does not pull down enough. The chute opened well. Did put a slider on his one.

Riaan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks goldenknight1 for the splendid skydivers collection of photo's.. I'll try to post better quality Pics.. I guest I'll have to make more jumps.. currently need to create more interest around here, since I'm the only jumper around..and hard to get drop plane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nubli:
    you just watch your fellow flyer's and it will not take long and they will be asking you all kinds of question about the new
    rc skydiver you have and then you will have your hands full answering thier question good luck, and hope to hear more from MALAYSIA on rc skydiving.

Bob [8D]
    fair winds and blue skies
    have fun jumping

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for visiting our site Bob... we plan to promote more rc skydiving in Malaysia.. diving the cheap way

That's why I made the diver myself, sew the chute myself.. still experimenting with it.. just added more weight to make it 1.2 kg (2.6 lbs).

added 4 c-size dry cell batteries(in the leg and the body) .. not sure how it will dive..
    Last time with only 700g (1.5lbs), it was very tough to manouver in windy day..not much directional control

nubli