Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Foil kite as canopy?

Old 12-28-2007, 01:22 PM
skoda450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foil kite as canopy?

I have been trying to use a foil kite as a canopy. So far all jumps have been dirt dives. Any suggestions how to get the kite to open corrrectly?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:32 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Foil kite as canopy?

Well I guess you already have the bad news so I will just help you out to notice what you have found out on your own. Kites will not work as parachutes. Kites and parafoil chute look similar, that is where it ends though. There is so many variables you must take into consideration with a chute and how it flys its almost scarey. The angle of the opening, the size of the opening, the degree of the chute is set at, size, etc. etc. Kites are usually way to thick even if you did get it to open. Probably the reason for not opening is the folding technique, and/or the configuartion of the leading edge of the kite. Not to be a barer of bad news, but the good flying chutes that people use either came from many hours of research and development or stealing one from someone who has done many hours of reasearch and development.

Bottom line is, if you want to R/C Skydive with success you need to buy atleast a proven chute from some one. And if you buy a chute only you need to ask what weight diver the chute works best with, this is critical. These chutes are pricey, but worth every penny if you seen how ones made, its definately not a kite.

I think I speach for most of the R/C Skydivers out there, we welcome everyone to the hobby to have new ideas, but we want them to be successful also. I personally hate to see someone who has tried to skydive and given up after several dirt dives. This happened to me many years ago.

Good luck with the project, and I hope you stick with skydiving. If nothing else, try to find a local skydiver (full scale or model pilot) and show them what you are doing, feedback is everything.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:55 PM
skoda450

Thanks for the encouragement. I am not ready to give up on the kite just yet. I have confered with a long time full size skydiver and he made some suggestions as to folding techniques. I was initially encouraged by tests with a 1.4 meter kite and a 6oz dummy weight. I dropped the rig from about 15' while holding the kite open. The kite inflated open and glided forward at a reasonable glide slope so I moved on to aicraft tests and that's where I am today. I will check out your web site and see if there is any info on folding and static release methods that may help.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is our old diver and how we folded the chute. We have absolutely no luck with folding our chutes like full scale!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68956.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	836875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16545.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	836876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29883.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	836877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27170.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	836878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm75423.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	836879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iy36303.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	836880  
Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 AM
pieter

it is possible to use a kite as parachute.
here in the netherlands there were some experiments on that and they were succesfull after some experimenting on folding properly. so don't give up yet but don't expect the same control as the special made rc parachute. They will come down a lot quicker and don't fly as good.
i will try to find some pictures of that jumper... don't know if i have one..
Old 04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
skoda450

Pieter,
Hey, Thanks. Anything will be a help. I realize that the kite will not perform as well as a canopy but considering the cost differance it was worth a try. Please try to post the pictures if you can.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 AM
cosmospho

Hello, I am also new in this skydiving sport, but I am using a kite as a parachute for my skydiver....
I have made several jumps and had 80% success rate.... One difference is that I don't pack the parachute very tightly at all...
I don't have a release pin and just stick the chute between the dummy and the plane drop box....

The way I pack the chute is my own way which I kept trying until it worked... Basically you fold spanwise(wingspan) starting from the trailing edge(back part) so that the air entrances are exposed to the air almost immediately when the chute is released, then fold in half and fold again, but always making sure air entrances are never covered and the wires(left and right) are not tangled.... That way it opens as soon as the air enters the chute....

My biggest problem so far is the wires not getting tangled, basically because the foil kite has the wires going the entire span of the chute....Left and right control wires cross each other almost to the opposite ends.... I have only done 20 jumps up to now with the chute having no control (no servos, receiver) just as a test.... This weekend if weather and wind allows I will do the jump with 2 servos controlling the brake lines of the kite(chute) and the support lines will be tied down fixed to the body of the dummy....

It sure beats the 200 dollars spent on something so simple to build.... The kite I got is one made in denmark, I can send you the specs when I get home....
Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 AM
goldenknight1
My Feedback: (1)

skoda450: You did not say if you had pilot chute on the foil kite this little item is what hold the front of canopy up so that air can get in to inflate the canopy. Most of the pilot chutes are attached from 7 to 9 inches back from lead edge on center of canopy . I would recomend that you cut a 10 in circuler canopy and make suspension lines about 11 inches long and the lead line on pilot chute should let it hang just behind the prailing edge, you will need at 8 suspension lines on pilot chute.

BOB[8D]
Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 AM
cosmospho

Hummmmm about the pilot chute, I also don't have one of those.... Sure it looks more scale with one, but in the sky who really cares ?? Not me
Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
cosmospho

Here is a picture of the foil kite.... I will ad more when I get some...