Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Unusual R/C > R/C Sky Diving
Reload this Page >

No need for a plane!..Not Right now anyways

Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

No need for a plane!..Not Right now anyways

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 AM
terminal_velocity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No need for a plane!..Not Right now anyways

OK...I was watching a youtube video(Link is below) of the GO FAST sports team, And they were testing out a pretty cool "Catapult/Slingshot" to launch themselves into the air then parachuting back down to the ground.Since I dont have a jump plane,I thought I would Build a scale version of it.I am still working On the way it is going to be "powered".
The one in the video is powered by a counter-wait.My Dad suggested of using a spring loaded launch, His idea is to take two 25' quarter inch thick pipes and cut out a one inch
strip legnth-wise from one end to the other, then attaching them to a base about 8' apart.The springs would slide into the pipes wich then would be capped off at the top after placing some kind ofplug that would slide freely through the pipes.then basicaly just attach some bungie cord,rope or surrigical tubing, then to a "cockpit/basket" of some sort.
I did not know my dad was so interested when i asked him for some advise...
Its kinda hard for me to explain, but just check the video out and you should get the basic idea.(iam only planning of launching my jumper to around 80 feet or so)
I am still planning on buying a jump plane later on, but i think it would be cool to be able to just walk out my door and practice some flying or manuevers with my jumper.
Let me know what you guys think...Any and all suggetions are greatly welcomed.

Thank you and here is that video>>>>> [link]http://youtube.com/watch?v=zaxgbhkuxLc&feature=related[/link]
Old 03-31-2008, 03:07 PM
RLR

Default RE: No need for a plane!..Not Right now anyways

I think its great. I have a nice open field in front of my house, so keep us up to date on the building.
Good luck

Riaan
Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
terminal_velocity

Yeah i will be glad to keep you guys updated.I am still making a list of all the supplies i will need..[]
I just ordered a stationary winch, its got 2,000 pound pulling strength wich is more then enough to "Winde" the springs up.
I will be starting the main costruction here in about 2 weeks...I will post photo's along the build Stage..And then hopfully get it
to launch my jumper, and as soon as that happens all my fellow rc skydivers here on the site will be the first to see!!

Happy Flying and/or falling!!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:43 AM
cmsrp

Any success??????