Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Newby with rigging questions

Hello All,

First, I have read almost every post in this forum over the last few weeks and I want to thank all who contribute and hope I will have some good ideas to add as well. Lots of great info and resources.
    I am a newby to RC skydiving and I’m putting together the plans and materials to build an RC skydiver. I have been flying RC planes for about a year and a half and have been having the most fun I ever had from a hobby. I have played with parachutes since I was a kid, including building a small air cannon a couple years ago to launch them for my grandchildren.
    I purchased templates and DVDs from one of the online resources (can I mention the name?) and have studied the Gitchell chute plans as well.
    I bought a few yards of zero porosity ripstop, 50 lb. Dacron kite line and #30 bonded nylon thread from the internet as well.
    For a practice build, I downloaded the flat chute plan from the let’s jump site and cut it out with my soldering iron and my wife sewed loops on it made from the ripstop to tie the lines to. I built it a little smaller than the plans and I am going to use a 12” GI Joe for a jumper. No RC on this one, just drop and pop and see where it ends up. I am going to use a 6” drogue chute to help it open.
    I think there has to be a better way than the loops to attach the lines. In the Gitchell plans, it says to tack the lines to the ribs with a drop of CA, sew them vertically before you sew the ribs into the chute.

Enough about me, here are my newby questions:
    1. If the lines are sewed in, what about replacing them if needed?

2. Has anyone tried sewing the cell edge ribs with the material edge outside on the bottom of the chute instead of inside and then install small grommets on this β€œrib” to attach the lines? (my wife’s idea, she even has the tiny grommets from a scrapbooking project)

3. Will a larkshead knot at the attach point work? Or do you need something else. I saw the post from GaryV using the no tie method and it looks great. I will use that if the 50 lb Dacron is not too small.

4. What about rigging the flat chute with a couple degrees negative incidence? Would that give it a little forward drive and make it drop a little faster to keep it from floating away on thermals? I think if you go too far it might not fill and it would just plummet. I will try it from the roof or something first.

I am sure I will have more questions as I go, but most of them will be answered with a search of this forum.
    Again, thanks for the forum,
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Newby with rigging questions

Sorry to say it, but this forum is really dead. I check it daily when I check the other RCU forums I follow and rarely see any activity. If you still want your questions answered, why not PM goldenknight and rcskydiver(look below for one of their posts to get the real spelling and also to link to the PM page). They have in the past been reasonably active here. They may not read this forum for days or weeks at a time. Just a thought.
    UltraSport Brotherhood #17

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    First thing is the material you bought. You do not want to use zero porosity for a rc chute. You want the real thing, low porosity parachute material.

I work with Gary's not. Threaded back into the line. I use a 1.2mm thickness line.

Put extra webbing on the corners where you tie it and just make a small hole with the soldering iron.

Cheers Riaan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I bought a used skydiver the kind made in England.
    I need help packing the chute as sometimes it doesn't open. Any suggestions?
    Best Regards
    Ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Riaan,
    Could you so kind to help to find the low porosity material ?
    I have Rip Stop Nylon, No-porosity, but, is crackly.
    Any link will be appreciatted,
    Best Regards,
    Alex

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you can use zero perosity ripstop nylon, but it has to be the right kind. Zero perosity ripstop nylon is what the highest quality real chutes are made of. The biggest reason most people do not use it is it is very slippery and hard to sew. Both types of material can be purchased from Paragear. You never want to use "crackly" material, that is for kites. The zero perosity we use is very soft and very thin, it is the same material used in all the very high grade real chutes on the market. The string you have will probably workbut you really need a "braided" type string. braided types of string are hollow do the middle so you can make the line ends easier.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave is right on this and Mason line from a hardware store is what some use
    Paragear is the place to get Materal for chutes
    Dave Call me from web number if can
    Thanks
    Don
    Don Mowery rcskyjumper.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I buy all my material from a local company.

All my chutes fly great whith the material I use. Like it has been said I suppose you can use zero if you want but stay away from the crackling stuff.

I you don't come right with the material let me know and I will see what I can do.

Riaan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finished my chute and got it rigged and have not had time to build the jumper, but I do have the radio and high torque servos all ready to go.
    I have been busy with building airplanes and building stuff for my wife.

Not sure how successful my chute is going to be, it is definitely the "crackly" ripstop nylon. I read almost every thread on this forum before purchasing it and didn't see anything saying it wouldn't work. It was a real pain to work with because it is so slippery, but we got it done. I used 1/8" ID grommets with leather washer for spacer to attach the lines. I made templates out of masonite and built a rigging board so the next chute should go much faster. I am going to try this chute even if it is the wrong material. I would think that it would deploy nicely as springy as it seems to be?? I sprayed it with anti-static spray during assembly and it really helped.

I took the transmitter apart and rigged the sticks so they are spring loaded all the way to the top. The feel is almost exactly like it was before, and the travel is smooth.

I will not be jumping for a month or two, depending on how motivated I get on my plane. I am building a 6' wingspan SPAD (simple plastic airplane design) of my own design for a jump plane and for use as a trainer as well. I have already finished a DPS (Das Plastic Stik) from the plans on the STTB website and it flew so great it inspired me to build a SPAD Jump/Trainer plane.

I am using CR Fowler's plans for the chute and jumper, with my mods as I see the need. I also have the Gitchell Chute plans and It looks like they are one and the same.

Thanks,
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello All,
    Thank you for all your help.
    I already check paragear, but, I find that maybe 3 products can be the right material.
    Which is ? The F111 material ?

I want to make a round parachute.
    I attach some photos.
    I know that Parafoil is the best chute, but, I don't want precition, I want my Skydiver to stay in the air the more time possible.
    Only with some direction, I know that I will be have problems with air, ok, I will have my bicycle at my side.
    Does anybody have plans for a round parachute that have openings for direction ?
    The plan that I attach is a flat plan, I need a hemisferical plan

More things:
    Is more easy for me the BASE jumping than use an RC airplane.
    My friends change of camp, I need to drive 2 hours to the new camp (no distance, only traffic) and 2 hours to return home, is not funny for me.
    The guys that I know in this side of the City (Mexico City) I don't know them very well and not fly very well too.
    BASE jumping is easy for me.
    I have 3 places near home for do it.
    I am working for make jumps from a Kite too.
    I already have how I can release my Skydiver (Mini Skydiver from RC Skydiving) from Kite.
    I want the round parachute for the Mini Skydiver and I'm working in a 1/6 scale Skydiver.
    I really want to see my Halo from Hot Toys in his round parachute flying.

Any help will be appreciatted.
    Best Regards,
    Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv65444.gif 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	1181583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk31741.gif 
Views:	8 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	1181584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ou49483.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	1181585  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rcdirigibal: the tree pictures you have here the first one is actually a simple double L with two gore side cut, the number two and three is plans for what I jumped in the service annd it is called a para comander A-i they early version. I think that if you would try and make a paracomander it would be more work than you would want, see if you can find someone who has the RCM plans for jumper and chute , they have the gore panels on the plans for dome chute hope this helps you get the informatin that you need.

Bob
    In St. Louis, Missouri

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Bob,
    Thank you for all your help.
    Yes, I check and the paracommander looks that need a lot of work.
    But, I think that looks GREAT !!!
    Do you know where can I find a plan of this chute ?
    Is not my hit cutting and sewing fabric, but, I don't know nobody that can make me one parachute like this.

If someone have interest in make me one parachute like this, please contact me, 1/6 scale, white with red......... Great !!!

About the fabric, can anybody can help me for choose the right fabric from Paragear please ?

Thank you.
    Regards,
    Alex

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rcdrigibles: I do not know if anyone could give you the plans for para commander chute. And on material I buy the low porosity and the ultra low porosity. they should have a weight rate on them that says 1.1oz. 30denier this is the standard that I use but if I want a light materail I buy the neon colors to make the fancy ones. hope you find this helpful.

Bob
    skydivers are good to the last drop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob is right as to getting plans for the chute you want , You may have to just make one by trail and error
    BOB, Give me a contact on the web
    Thanks
    Don Mowery rcskyjumper.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello all,
    Bob, Don, Thank you for your help.
    I will looking for plans I will post how is the advance of this proyect.

Any new help will be appreciatted.

Best Regards,
    Alex