Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

Steering Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 AM
RLR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Lines

Hi
Is there a right or wrong when attaching your steering lines. I've seen different ways of doing it. Wich one works the best?

Thanks Riaan
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
goldenknight1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Steering Lines

rlr: are you talking about where they attach to back of vanopy or where they attach to the hands

BOB
Old 10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
RLR

Where tey attach to the body. First i had mine coming from the canopy threw the slider and then a ring on the back slider then threw the hand and on to the shoulder. It did look as if the arms did not come all the way down. I have got a bigger jumper now than my previous one.
I now have the steering line coming fom the chute directly threw the hand and on to the body.

With my first setup I had no problems with openings at all. I have not jumped with the second setup, so I just hope I do not pick up stering lines over the chute when opening.

Thanks Riaan
Old 10-22-2008, 02:00 PM
RLR

Sorry it should have read canopy, slider, riser, hand and then body.
Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 07:34 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a newbie at this, but have had a half dozen successful flights with my Robbe Charly. His steering lines do not go through the slider. They are hooked directly to the back of the chute. Interesting question. If there are any experience jumpers that answer this question, I will also be interested in the answer. You could also PM "R/C Skydiver" He has helped me with a couple of issues.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:27 AM
R/C Skydiver
My Feedback: (3)

Most jumpers have the steering lines running through the hands and tied to the shoulders. I don't believe I have seen any that go thru the sliderbut I'm only familiar with Robbie Charlys and the Mike jumper from Parramax.
Jim
Old 10-24-2008, 10:42 AM
goldenknight1
My Feedback: (1)

RLR: On my jumpers the line come down from canopy and goes thru the ring on rear risers , I have both set ups where the line then attach to the hands and one of them goes thru rear riser ring then thru the hands and attaches to the body. I now have my jumpers arm where they now will pull down a 180 degrees from the up position, you do not say what torgue servos you have but you should really have servos with at least 80 in/ounce torge are larger this give you a lot better pulling strength on control line hpoe this will help you out.

BOB[8D]
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 PM
echomike1947

Where can you get info on Robbie Charlys and other jumpers?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:05 PM
edge_pilot
My Feedback: (73)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

We have attached our steering lines just about everyway known to man. Conclusion in my opinion, there is no difference in operation. If your servos are strong enough to operate the arms during flight as far as it moves on the ground, then you will get enough control. Our new Hangtime Ultimate Diver has 280+ oz. of torque per arm, and 8" of travel, needless to say he will fly full speed forward or spin on one tip of the chute. We have FULL control.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 PM
R/C Skydiver

Send me an email with any specific questions about the Robbie Charly and I will try to answer them. Have been using Charlys about 10 yrs now. Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94773.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	1099148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27154.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1099149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90555.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1099150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75948.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1099151  
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
echomike1947

I'm using the Ultimate jumper from RC Skydiving...how is it differnt from Robbie? Is Robbie steerable, how much does he weigh. Do you sew your own chutes. I made my 3rd jump today...it's a learning process.
Gene
Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 AM
R/C Skydiver

Hi Gene,
Welcome to trhe R/C Skydiving world! You will have a lot of great days enjoying your new sport-except on the "dirt diving" days-and they will may happen once in a while. Like when you forget to turn on the switch. Been there and done that!!!
I am not that familiar enough with Dave Naylor's Ultimate Jumper to compare it with others but I have seen and heard enough about it to know that his jumper is far better than the Charly. The Robbie Charly was manufactured in Germany and was one of the first r/c skydivers to be mass produced. It went out of production many years ago and can only be found used, or rarely, as a new one still in the box. Charly is just as steerable as any of the others being made and weighs about three lbs. No, I don't sew chutesthat's an art in itself. I still have 4 Charly's and 3 Mikes made by Parramax in Germany and use 2 Giant Stingers to drop them.
You should try to make one or both of the R/C Skydiving rally's (competition) in Columbus, Ohio in July and Muncie in Sept. You will meet a lot of other guys with varied amounts of experience but have one thing in common-they have a ball with their Skydivers.
Try to make one of Mac Hodges Flyins in Andersonville, Ga. in the spring or fall and you can jump at the noon demo. I'll hook you up to one of my Stingers.
Welcome to the crowd!!!

Jim
Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 PM
echomike1947

Hi Jim
Thanks for the info...I'll try and make some of the events you mentioned. I'm using an Ultra Stick 120, recovered in Golden Knight colors to haul my Golden Knights Jumper. Had 4 more jumps today. Am learning more with every jump.
Thanks
Gene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50459.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1099879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99530.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1099880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14700.jpg